Patrick Mahomes

ztejas

18 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

I'm sort of toying with the idea that he might be better than Brady, but he'd need to win the next 2 to get me there.

i think he's the most talented QB ever. as far as greatness and legacy goes, that'll come down to what all else he wins during his career, but talent wise, only five years in as a starter, i've got peak mahomes > anyone else at the QB position. 

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i think he's the most talented QB ever. 

I don’t necessarily disagree, though I’d again say that Elway is right there among the most physically talented (and translating the talent into on-field success). I don’t know how you differentiate them, but they strike me as very similar from a physical talent standpoint.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I don’t necessarily disagree, though I’d again say that Elway is right there among the most physically talented (and translating the talent into on-field success). I don’t know how you differentiate them, but they strike me as very similar from a physical talent standpoint.

Agree on the physical talent angle but I think what separates Mahomes is that he has re-defined the position with his ability to / how he improvises, taking his baseball prowess onto a football field by throwing from every conceivable arm angle, consistency making something out of nothing plays, and the like.

He truly is one of a kind.

• Hook 'Em 2

Agree on the physical talent angle but I think what separates Mahomes is that he has re-defined the position with his ability to / how he improvises, taking his baseball prowess onto a football field by throwing from every conceivable arm angle, consistency making something out of nothing plays, and the like.
He truly is one of a kind.

Elway was a pitcher, but Mahomes plays like a shortstop with his throwing mechanics. I think it’s a unique talent of his and not one that can be duplicated.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/17/2023 at 4:12 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Elway was a pitcher, but Mahomes plays like a shortstop with his throwing mechanics. I think it’s a unique talent of his and not one that can be duplicated.

John Elway

Position: Outfielder

Bats: Left  •  Throws: Right

6-4205lb (193cm, 92kg)

Born: June 28, 1960 (Age: 62-236d) in Port Angeles, WA

Dan Marino was a shortstop when he was not pitching.

Dan Marino

Daniel Constantine Marino Jr.

BR minors page

Biographical Information[edit]

Pitcher Dan Marino was drafted by the Kansas City Royals in the 4th round of the 1979 amateur draft but did not sign with the club. He had gone 23-0 as a high school senior and hit over .500 as a senior, playing shortstop when not pitching. While a gifted baseball player, he was even more notable in football, making Parade All-American. Once he went to college, he opted just to play football. Marino played 17 years as quarterback of the Miami Dolphins of the NFL and led the team to a Super Bowl appearance in 1984. Upon his retirement, Marino held numerous NFL records. He once held the NFL record for most passing yards in a single-season with 5,084 yards in 1984.

Sources include September 27, 2013 article by Mike White in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

28 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Throwing for 5,000 yards in a season in the 80’s is mind bottling.

Clayton was 10th in receptions and Duper 12th that year.  However, Clayton was 3rd in yards, with Duper 6th.

Clayton lead the league with 27 TDs receiving while Duper was 10th.

Fascinating numbers

5 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Marino would probably have about 7500/ season with today's rules. 

Can you imagine prime Jerry Rice with today's rules? It's like thinking of Jordan without getting the shit kicked out of him by Detroit and the Knicks.

That shit would be just off the chain.

2 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

The thing I enjoy most about watching how talented Mahomes is,  that Tech had him for three years and they managed one winning season!image.jpeg.6b6a408eea99fd9a0bed4a4c8ab1126e.jpeg

That goes to show how important it is for QBs to be in the right situation, even great QBs.  Mahomes landed in an ideal place in the NFL.  His head coach is an offensive genius plus Reid is the only head coach he has had in the NFL, he has always had elite playmakers catching his passes, he doesn't have to constantly run for his life behind a patchwork OL, Kansas City's owners aren't cheapskates or attention whores or greaseballs, he was allowed to ease into the starting job because he wasn't expected to bail out a franchise that had been poorly run since he was in elementary school on day 1 of his rookie year.  If some dumpster team like the Jets or the Browns, who both passed on him, drafted Mahomes they might have permanently fucked him up.  I can envision some dinosaur coach who gets hard watching highlight reels from the 80s trying to coach the creativity and unconventional passes out of Mahomes if he ended up on a bad team.  I really hope a franchise that isn't a fucking joke ends up with the #1 pick in 2024 so Caleb Williams is put in a good position to succeed.

• Like 1

That’s a big part of why Rodgers’ being butthurt over sliding in the draft was severely misplaced.  Dude, you benefitted MIGHTILY from dropping to the Packers.  Move the fuck on and count your blessings.

Mahomes seems more appreciative, which is a pretty damned low hurdle, but he exhibits some semblance of awareness of how the situation has worked well for him. All of that being said, he gets a ton of credit for still making it happen in an incredible way.

Edited by slorch

I've watched some Chiefs player interviews....Mahomes year 1 to year 2 improvement in the NFL is the biggest reason he progressed so much. Being able to sit behind Alex Smith and get prepared by Andy Reid set him up for this success. Players on the Chiefs were shocked how he looked way different his second year than 1st. 

He wasn't that great of a QB in college just put up typical Tech numbers....I 100% give credit to Reid for developing him into what he is. But he had all the tools needed.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

That goes to show how important it is for QBs to be in the right situation, even great QBs.  Mahomes landed in an ideal place in the NFL.  His head coach is an offensive genius plus Reid is the only head coach he has had in the NFL, he has always had elite playmakers catching his passes, he doesn't have to constantly run for his life behind a patchwork OL, Kansas City's owners aren't cheapskates or attention whores or greaseballs, he was allowed to ease into the starting job because he wasn't expected to bail out a franchise that had been poorly run since he was in elementary school on day 1 of his rookie year.  If some dumpster team like the Jets or the Browns, who both passed on him, drafted Mahomes they might have permanently fucked him up.  I can envision some dinosaur coach who gets hard watching highlight reels from the 80s trying to coach the creativity and unconventional passes out of Mahomes if he ended up on a bad team.  I really hope a franchise that isn't a fucking joke ends up with the #1 pick in 2024 so Caleb Williams is put in a good position to succeed.
Absolutely. This is what I have said about Jalen Hurts. He looked pretty meh when he started at Philly. But then they drafted him Davante Smith. Traded for AJ Brown. Put together the best OL in football. A new coaching staff. And look how he improved.

Let's say he goes to a shit hole like Washington, Chicago or the Jets out the gate. Where you have no real support. And his trajectory would have been much different.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ve always thought it was a fucked up part of football that the biggest stud qb every year in college typically goes to the shittiest team. Feels like there should be a better reward.

Sometimes that makes me happy though like douchebag mayfield going to Cleveland.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Absolutely. This is what I have said about Jalen Hurts. He looked pretty meh when he started at Philly. But then they drafted him Davante Smith. Traded for AJ Brown. Put together the best OL in football. A new coaching staff. And look how he improved.

Let's say he goes to a shit hole like Washington, Chicago or the Jets out the gate. Where you have no real support. And his trajectory would have been much different.

In todays NFL I don't think you need a great OL, you need an average OL BUT you need multiple elite playmakers.

8 hours ago, Trojan Man said:

Now do Vince Young

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Kwix said:

Now do Vince Young

He did, more or less, in the second-to-last sentence.

Vince came around about 5-10 years too soon and went to just about the worst situation he could have. I still think he would have done well in Kubiak’s system, and I still think he’d have been at least as good as Lamar Jackson has been if he had been paired with a coach/system that made sense for him.

imagine drafting VY and deciding he should be a pocket QB in a traditional offensive system. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

I’ve always thought it was a fucked up part of football that the biggest stud qb every year in college typically goes to the shittiest team. Feels like there should be a better reward.

Troof. A lot of potentially good QBs got destroyed. We'll never know how good Archie Manning could have been. 

Elway and Eli Manning both refused to play for the teams that wanted them (Baltimore Colts and San Diego.) Their NFL careers were far better because of it, BUT, you have to have REAL swag coming out of college to pull off forcing the team that drafted you to trade you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

He did, more or less, in the second-to-last sentence.

Vince came around about 5-10 years too soon and went to just about the worst situation he could have. I still think he would have done well in Kubiak’s system, and I still think he’d have been at least as good as Lamar Jackson has been if he had been paired with a coach/system that made sense for him.

imagine drafting VY and deciding he should be a pocket QB in a traditional offensive system. 

I never understood teams that draft a VY and then tell him. DON'T BE VINCE YOUNG. We want you to be Steve McNair. I live in Lubbock and saw Patrick for 3 years and knew that only about two coaches could exploit his talent, most of the others would want him to conform to their system, rather than building a system that exploits his skill set.

I never understood teams that draft a VY and then tell him. DON'T BE VINCE YOUNG. We want you to be Steve McNair. I live in Lubbock and saw Patrick for 3 years and knew that only about two coaches could exploit his talent, most of the others would want him to conform to their system, rather than building a system that exploits his skill set.
Football guys are the ultimate girlfriend. They think they can fix him.
  • Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

The thing I enjoy most about watching how talented Mahomes is,  that Tech had him for three years and they managed one winning season!image.jpeg.6b6a408eea99fd9a0bed4a4c8ab1126e.jpeg

It honestly makes me wonder about Arizona and that maybe Kyler doesn't actually suck horribly, and that Kingsbury really is just that trash as a coach.....

2 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

It honestly makes me wonder about Arizona and that maybe Kyler doesn't actually suck horribly, and that Kingsbury really is just that trash as a coach.....

Kyler is a little bitch...

and Kliff ain't all that enthused in coaching football, besides the cash and hoes.