Caitlin Clark …. Seriously

MirrOlure

10 hours ago, closetohumping said:

"LeBron, you're 100% right on these girls hating on Caitlin Clark. Y'all petty, girls. I expect men to be petty because we're the most insecure group in the world. Y'all should be thanking that girl for getting y'all a-- private charters, all the money and visibility she's bringing to the WNBA," Charles Barkley said. 

Went to find article... SIAP

Screenshot_20240523-182232_kindlephoto-1488097.png.3bb5b0c16d3e97fe5f334f755cd077e8.png

Caitlin Clark may not have a bigger fan than the one she has in LeBron James.

The NBA’s all-time leading scorer says he’s “rooting” for Clark to succeed as she begins her career with the WNBA’s Indiana Fever as one of the highest-profile athletes — male or female — in the professional ranks in some time.

“My advice to Caitlin, and my advice to anyone that comes in with this level of notoriety, out-of-this-world expectation, whatever the case may be, I just think just, be a horse, man,” James said May 22 on the “Mind the Game” podcast with J.J. Redick.

“The Kentucky Derby. Put your blinders on, go to work, show up to work, punch your clock in, prepare yourself, work on your game, work on your craft.

“Kind of keep your mouth shut and just learn from the vets. When they ask, you voice your opinion, if they want your opinion early on, because everybody is looking for you to say anything and they’re going to splice it and cut it and make it a negative thing.”

James pointed out that Clark has already proven to be a transcendent talent, based on her ability to drum up interest in women's basketball.

“The one thing that I love that she’s bringing to her sport: more people want to watch. More people want to tune in,” he said.

“Don’t get it twisted, don’t get it f---ed up. Caitlin Clark is the reason why a lot of great things are going to happen for the WNBA,” he added.

image.png.05823b43117abe617c9ba31ff34e7576.png

The Fever made Clark the No. 1 overall pick in the WNBA draft in April, but the team is off to an 0-4 start, with the former Iowa Hawkeyes sharpshooter averaging a team-high 17 points per game.

James, who was an equally hyped prospect when he was the No. 1 overall pick by the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2003 NBA draft, said she needs to tune out naysayers and any backlash from those who want to see her fail.

“I’m rooting for Caitlin because I’ve been in that seat before. I’ve walked that road before. I hope she kills,” he said.

James compared Clark to his son Bronny, who declared for the NBA draft after one season at the University of Southern California, where he averaged 4.8 points per game.

“I’m just kind of in this mode right now because I’m getting the same thing from watching my son, who’s a 19-year-old, kind of getting a lot of animosity and hatred towards him when he’s just a kid trying to live out his dream,” James said.

“There’s a very small number of men and women that actually get to live out their dream of playing a professional sport. And we have grown-ass men and women out here doing whatever they can to try and make sure that does not happen. That is the weirdest thing in the world, but it is what it is and I’m glad that Caitlin has a great head on her shoulders.”

This article was originally published on TODAY.com     

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Should black be capitalized?  Do we capitalize races?  I feel like we don’t. 

https://news.ucdenver.edu/is-the-b-in-black-capitalized-yes/#:~:text=Reasons for Capitalizing Black&text=But for many people the,color%2C not a person.”

“Yes, Black should be capitalized,” she said. Harding pointed to an article by The Columbia Journalism Review, which explains that “in the absence of the identifiable ethnicities slavery stole from those it subjugated, Black can be a preferred ethnic designation for some descendants.”

Edited by d2o
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

We really are living in idiocracy. 

I bet those same people would argue against capitalizing "White" to refer to race/ethnicity. 

Well, the vast majority of white people actually know and claim their ethnicity (Italian, Irish, Scottish, etc).  Black Americans had that ability taken away and consequently all generally get lumped into "African-American or just Black"

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Odd thing about this is from what I’ve seen, Clark hasn’t said one negative thing about her.  I get what Reese is trying to do but it seems like Clark doesn’t give a shit

She isnt trying to do anything but share the spotlight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Odd thing about this is from what I’ve seen, Clark hasn’t said one negative thing about her.  I get what Reese is trying to do but it seems like Clark doesn’t give a shit

She doesn’t give a shit because her and Reese are friends. You’re still trying to make something be there that just isn’t there with no evidence. 

13 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Should black be capitalized?  Do we capitalize races?  I feel like we don’t. 

It depends.

You’ve seen me capitalize White on this website a shit ton of times and that’s because I’m an APA man. In APA style, yes, you capitalize those things—Black, White, Latino, Hispanic, Asian, Arab, etc. Other writing styles are different. Journalism and AP Style is very different from research style writing, and I *think* they made a change a few years ago to not capitalize White because of a few reasons that’d I have to go back and check as a Journalism faculty member I was supervising told me why. 

MLA style - I *think* you only capitalize if it represents a geographic group (don’t quote me on that)

Chicago style - this style can go fuck itself.

• Hook 'Em 4

9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

She doesn’t give a shit because her and Reese are friends. You’re still trying to make something be there that just isn’t there with no evidence. 

Right, her tweet was directed at Barkley and the like not Caitlin.

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It depends.

You’ve seen me capitalize White on this website a shit ton of times and that’s because I’m an APA man. In APA style, yes, you capitalize those things—Black, White, Latino, Hispanic, Asian, Arab, etc. Other writing styles are different. Journalism and AP Style is very different from research style writing, and I *think* they made a change a few years ago to not capitalize White because of a few reasons that’d I have to go back and check as a Journalism faculty member I was supervising told me why. 

MLA style - I *think* you only capitalize if it represents a geographic group (don’t quote me on that)

Chicago style - this style can go fuck itself.

Should we capitalize Honky? 

Unrelating to capitalization I still think it's funny that Angel Reese cried after losing and is still wondering why people don't like her and attack her. Plays the villain role when things are good, cries when things are bad. Such hypocrite. 

17 hours ago, closetohumping said:

It’s the way Clark played in college.  She looked like a cross between pistol Pete and Steph. 

I don’t think any league needs the face to be a particular color.  

keep in mind there have been a lot of great white players.  Some have been hot some not:

Della Donne, brink, lobo, ionnescu, Stewart, bird, taurasi  None are as popular as Clark  maybe it’s not a racial thing at all

It's not, but dumbasses are going to do their best to make it one. 

The only people I’m seeing who (still) hate Angel Reese are a.) conservative America and b.) those who never liked Reese to begin with and she could cure cancer and AIDS and they would still hate her. 

A good majority of folks like both Reese and Clark, and as I stated before, they don’t hate each other themselves and are friends. It’s like people are trying to make something up that isn’t there to fit their narrative for some dumbass reason. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The only people I’m seeing who (still) hate Angel Reese are a.) conservative America and b.) those who never liked Reese to begin with and she could cure cancer and AIDS and they would still hate her. 

A good majority of folks like both Reese and Clark, and as I stated before, they don’t hate each other themselves and are friends. It’s like people are trying to make something up that isn’t there to fit their narrative for some dumbass reason. 

Is that just how you don't see it's mainly women hating on Clark?

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Is that just how you don't see it's mainly women hating on Clark?

I’m not specifically saying just 1 sex is responsible for liking them both as someone is arguing 1 sex is responsible for most of her hate. Now I see men (a lot of who posted in this thread and we have evidence of that) hating on the WNBA and we can find lots of evidence to back that up. I just haven't seen a lot of evidence where it’s solely women hating on her. 

I see people making fun of her getting adjusted to the league. Is that hate? 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Angel seems to be egging Caitlin on and from what I’ve seen Caitlin just doesn’t care enough to engage

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Angel seems to be egging Caitlin on and from what I’ve seen Caitlin just doesn’t care enough to engage

Did she call out Clark by name or is she trying to make a more general point of how the WNBA isn’t about just 1 player, there are lots of other stars in the league as well and they deserve their accolades too?

It’s possible she’s talking about Clark but it’s also possible she’s talking about what I wrote above as well. 

It’s well known her and Clark are friends so why would a vague tweet that doesn’t even mention Clark by name be classified as “egging her on?”

• Hook 'Em 2

Did she call out Clark by name or is she trying to make a more general point of how the WNBA isn’t about just 1 player, there are lots of other stars in the league as well and they deserve their accolades too?

It’s possible she’s talking about Clark but it’s also possible she’s talking about what I wrote above as well. 

It’s well known her and Clark are friends so why would a vague tweet that doesn’t even mention Clark by name be classified as “egging her on?”

Lawyer Pancho here

WNBA needs to run more ads with multiple stars (including Caitlin) that show their names by their images.  There's a huge opportunity to pair all the current attention together and get more WNBA players recognition.

I see obvious WNBA players in commercials and have no clue who they are... that's both the advertisers and the WNBA's fault.  

Well good. I’m glad she deleted it. And my guess, the team/franchise told her to delete that shit because this isn’t college anymore.

Angel is a great player and I’ve always been a fan, but she needs a PR coach like yesterday.

That tweet—regardless of the point of it—is stuff you do in college. Right now she needs to keep doing what she’s doing which is this:

Well good. I’m glad she deleted it. And my guess, the team/franchise told her to delete that shit because this isn’t college anymore.

Angel is a great player and I’ve always been a fan, but she needs a PR coach like yesterday.

That tweet—regardless of the point of it—is stuff you do in college. Right now she needs to keep doing what she’s doing which is this:

She's too stupid to get a PR coach

The attention Clark brings the WNBA is good. Her mere presence in the league has given it elevated attention that it has never received. I hope she keeps on grinding and eventually engineers a big turnaround in Indiana. One of the reasons they have been so horrid and got that top pick is they took the Byron Scott route and determined that having all bigs and no shooters was the way to go. Get Clark some floor spacers around her and things will change. This year will be probably the roughest she has or ever will have ever again. Going to Indiana is like being drafted by the Hornets or Wizards. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

I'd challenge that.  I think that's what Angel does best.  While a great player, I'm not sure she'd be as known or have as many followers if she wasn't antagonizing Clark in their first meeting.  It just seems like Caitlin doesn't think about her at all. Angel is averaging 12/8.  That's great for a rookie but it's not first team WNBA or something.

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I'd challenge that.  I think that's what Angel does best.  While a great player, I'm not sure she'd be as known or have as many followers if she wasn't antagonizing Clark in their first meeting.  It just seems like Caitlin doesn't think about her at all. Angel is averaging 12/8.  That's great for a rookie but it's not first team WNBA or something.

Reese is a fucking rookie. Why would she have WNBA First Team numbers this young into the season or her career? This makes no fucking sense.

She won the NC in college and she wouldn’t be as well known without antagonizing Clark? You are really, really, really reaching to make something stick for some dumbass reason. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Reese is a fucking rookie. Why would she have WNBA First Team numbers this young into the season or her career? This makes no fucking sense.

She won the NC in college and she wouldn’t be as well known without antagonizing Clark? You are really, really, really reaching to make something stick for some dumbass reason. 

Exactly.  Thank you.  Why are you so emotional btw?  She's averaging 12 and 8.  BFD.  Her claim to fame is she beat Caitlin Clark and followed her around like an imbecile afterwards.

She's shooting 33% from the field and she's a post.  Careful with them stats hoss. 😁

Edited by closetohumping
  • Fuck You 1

Reese is annoying to me, but I'm not offended or outraged by her behavior in any way.  She's playing a role, and she knows it.  Without people or organizations playing the heel, sports wouldn't be nearly as much fun.  I root against the heels, but I appreciate them because without them the game (any game) loses it's entertainment value.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Reese is annoying to me, but I'm not offended or outraged by her behavior in any way.  She's playing a role, and she knows it.  Without people or organizations playing the heel, sports wouldn't be nearly as much fun.  I root against the heels, but I appreciate them because without them the game (any game) loses it's entertainment value.

I'm pretty transparent.  I don't root for any WNBA team.  I'd like to see how Caitlin plays but if she sucks, I'm gone.  Reese means nothing to me, literally, I'm happy she is monetizing this.  She's very smart in doing so.  Otherwise, she would be just another women's basketball player. 

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Exactly.  Thank you.  Why are you so emotional btw?  She's averaging 12 and 8.  BFD.  Her claim to fame is she beat Caitlin Clark and followed her around like an imbecile afterwards.

She's shooting 33% from the field and she's a post.  Careful with them stats hoss. 😁

Who is emotional? You’re being emotional as well about your insistence about Reese and Clark.

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

Who is emotional? You’re being emotional as well about your insistence about Reese and Clark.

You're cursing and name calling.  I understand that's ok at Surly, but it feels like I'm triggering you on this Reese thing for some reason?  Anything you want to tell me/us?  

I honestly could give a darn about Reese and  if Clark sucks I'm out as well, so I probably won't respond to your messages about Reese.  Happy to talk about other stuff with you though.  But way too much energy on someone like Angel Reese and her 33% shooting percentage.

4 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You're cursing and name calling.  I understand that's ok at Surly, but it feels like I'm triggering you on this Reese thing for some reason?  Anything you want to tell me/us?  

I honestly could give a darn about Reese and  if Clark sucks I'm out as well, so I probably won't respond to your messages about Reese.  Happy to talk about other stuff with you though.  But way too much energy on someone like Angel Reese and her 33% shooting percentage.

You aren’t triggering me at all. Is that your sign of someone being triggered that they cuss? Why haven’t you made that argument about the 98% of others who do that on this site? 

I’m just responded to your horseshit arguments - or - to your love affair for Clark. 

Whichever it is.

6 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Imagine each of you telling yourself 5 years ago that you’d be arguing over two WNBA players in 2024. What a time to be alive for both of you. 

Feel Alive GIF by First We Feast

• Haha 4

Just now, Pancho said:

You aren’t triggering me at all. Is that your sign of someone being triggered that they cuss? Why haven’t you made that argument about the 98% of others who do that on this site? 

I’m just responded to your horseshit arguments - or - to your love affair for Clark. 

Whichever it is.

Feel free to pm me if I"m hurting you emotionally.  I'll do better.  And love affair?  This is a thread about Caitlin Clark isn't it?  

• Fuck You 1

Posted (edited)

I cannot say I have ever heard of that rapper/comedian, but he made some humorous, but true points. Now that gambling on sports is widespread the women are going to get heckled like the guys are  by people losing parlays and big bets on games involving WNBA players and teams. 

Edited by UpperWestside

I bought a Catilin Clark Indiana Fever jersey.

Also, it's funny Pancho is out here trying to pretend like he's never heard of the concept of a sneak diss or sublimineal diss before.

• Haha 1

Say what you want about Clark, but she certainly generates discussion.  This thread (started in 2023) has almost as many posts as the WNBA thread (started in 2020), and will likely surpass it any day now.  The Reese thread may have more, but I haven't been able to find it to confirm.