Texas @ Baylor: Series Thread

MuellerHorn

Because a deep run requires serious consistency over a two week period playing 4-5 teams that are all good (saving maybe a 4 seed) and this team has only showed that consistency playing really bad teams.  The odds of this team winning a regional final and then winning a super on the road is not high. We all know anything can happen and Texas mystique matters in a regional, so it’s plausible just not something I’d bet on. 

I asked in part because I only casually follow other college baseball teams. Last night, I did look up a number of schedules/stats in the bottom half of the top 20. I referenced two with horrendous pitching efforts. We were the most competitive in our losses. One of them had 3/4 double digit losses on the season. And our schedule was not markedly different.

I do know that an often followed theme is that other teams are not flawed. Not you necessarily, but the general tenor of this site. Probably message boards in general. Depth is limited for damn near most teams.

I wouldn’t bet on a CWS trip either, but I wouldn’t wager on it not happening either.

If Witt can make a contribution, that is huge. If Shaw’s healthy, that’s huge. I’d be surprised if many teams have potentially huge additions like those two possibilities.

The conference may not be great, but teams won’t want to face TCU or Tech in a regional.

Just listened to Pierce’s postgame radio interview from yesterday:

Overall thoughts: “Well, 13 free passes. Poor job from our starting pitching and then the backend in the 9th, 5 free passes and 2 wild pitches in the inning. I don’t know what to say other than you can’t win when that happens. There is no way you win in those type of games. You have a 4-run lead in the 9th, you have a great play by Peyton, a lot of great defense all game, offense scratched and clawed for everything they got. Sorry, you have to win those games.”

On Tole- “Heston and Burke both did their job. They came in and pounded the zone. You have the wind blowing in. The only way you end up with this result is if you give them things. They would have had to drive the ball out of the ballpark and it’s a really tough day to do that. We knew going into today we were going to use our short game and we are going to find ways to score and then pound the zone. But I’m sorry, you just aren’t going to win games when you give things away. If this team wants to be a championship team, they are going to have to make an adjustment.”

24 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I wouldn’t bet on a CWS trip either, but I wouldn’t wager on it not happening either.

As of now, this team doesn't pass the eye test.  The bottom half of the order is a liability, we can't hold leads, and we're bad on the basepaths.  I guess we field pretty well, not necessarily for Texas, but compared to the competition.  Unless NIL and the transfer portal have fundamentally crippled all strong programs, I just don't see it without improvement in several areas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just listened to Pierce’s postgame radio interview from yesterday:

Overall thoughts: “Well, 13 free passes. Poor job from our starting pitching and then the backend in the 9th, 5 free passes and 2 wild pitches in the inning. I don’t know what to say other than you can’t win when that happens. There is no way you win in those type of games. You have a 4-run lead in the 9th, you have a great play by Peyton, a lot of great defense all game, offense scratched and clawed for everything they got. Sorry, you have to win those games.”

On Tole- “Heston and Burke both did their job. They came in and pounded the zone. You have the wind blowing in. The only way you end up with this result is if you give them things. They would have had to drive the ball out of the ballpark and it’s a really tough day to do that. We knew going into today we were going to use our short game and we are going to find ways to score and then pound the zone. But I’m sorry, you just aren’t going to win games when you give things away. If this team wants to be a championship team, they are going to have to make an adjustment.”

Say what you want about DP, and I think he could have won that game, he definitely has the "I'm not bailing you out because you're sucking - keep pitching" mentality. I don't think it makes sense all the time but he's gotten some good results out of it since he's been here. 

It's definitely irritating to watch. But, I like the standard he holds these guys too. I'd say his leash could be a little bit shorter but I don't know anything about baseball compared to him. 

The main thing I think he needs to do better the next few seasons is get impact guys on campus at key positions. Ultimately that's the #1 issue with this team - not his in game management (which wins more games than it loses). We don't have a closer or established Sat/Sun guys and we don't have any flexibility in the infield. That being the case this team has pretty much exceeded expectations. But DP should never be behind the 8 ball at Texas. He should have guys bailing him out and he really doesn't right now. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

As of now, this team doesn't pass the eye test.  The bottom half of the order is a liability, we can't hold leads, and we're bad on the basepaths.  I guess we field pretty well, not necessarily for Texas, but compared to the competition.  Unless NIL and the transfer portal have fundamentally crippled all strong programs, I just don't see it without improvement in several areas.

This is as wide open a year as I can remember in college baseball (feel like we say this a lot but it’s true this year).

For example, 6 teams in the top 15 have already lost their series this weekend. It is LSU and then a distant gap between everyone, and even LSU has some issues on the mound after Skenes on Friday night due to injuries and some poor performances.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Say what you want about DP, and I think he could have won that game, he definitely has the "I'm not bailing you out because you're sucking - keep pitching" mentality. I don't think it makes sense all the time but he's gotten some good results out of it since he's been here. 

It's definitely irritating to watch. But, I like the standard he holds these guys too. I'd say his leash could be a little bit shorter but I don't know anything about baseball compared to him. 

The main thing I think he needs to do better the next few seasons is get impact guys on campus at key positions. Ultimately that's the #1 issue with this team - not his in game management (which wins more games than it loses). We don't have a closer or established Sat/Sun guys and we don't have any flexibility in the infield. That being the case this team has pretty much exceeded expectations. But DP should never be behind the 8 ball at Texas. He should have guys bailing him out and he really doesn't right now. 

It might be an exaggeration, but he may have changed course of Jared Southard’s career last year by going out to the mound against A&M and telling him that he’s not pulling him and he needs to figure it out because this team needs him. He allowed 4 runs in 21 innings the rest of the year after that game.

I know a lot of people felt he left Hurley in too long but there is not one manager in the country who is eager to go get their struggling Saturday starter in the first inning knowing another game still awaits the next day and you already have a 1-0 series lead.

He probably waited one batter too long on Morehouse, but Morehouse has also shown the ability to clean up his own messes. And with Shaw unavailable coming off the injury and Sthele starting today, it was either Morehouse or Stuart. I guess maybe they could have gone to LBJ but I don’t know if that’s a spot I want to bring him in.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I would like to see Minchey get another somewhere today.  We've seen worse.

For sure. But remember that there’s a reason we didn’t see him at all until a few weeks ago. By all accounts he had some of the worst control on the staff throughout the fall/early spring.

I would continue to tread lightly with him and ease him into the mix. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

But I’m sorry, you just aren’t going to win games when you give things away. If this team wants to be a championship team, they are going to have to make an adjustment.

Yeah, so, what is the adjustment?   It’s very easy to say we should stop walking people in the 9th. 

25 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

For sure. But remember that there’s a reason we didn’t see him at all until a few weeks ago. By all accounts he had some of the worst control on the staff throughout the fall/early spring.

I would continue to tread lightly with him and ease him into the mix. 

What did you hear about Hurley's fall performance? I'm assuming the staff probably though he'd be in the weekend rotation when he was snagged from the portal.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

The problem with that mentality is that when he makes a move he puts someone else under pressure. This is my biggest issue with him as a coach. He does it all the time and doesn’t know when to make pitching changes 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

It might be an exaggeration, but he may have changed course of Jared Southard’s career last year by going out to the mound against A&M and telling him that he’s not pulling him and he needs to figure it out because this team needs him. He allowed 4 runs in 21 innings the rest of the year after that game.

I know a lot of people felt he left Hurley in too long but there is not one manager in the country who is eager to go get their struggling Saturday starter in the first inning knowing another game still awaits the next day and you already have a 1-0 series lead.

He probably waited one batter too long on Morehouse, but Morehouse has also shown the ability to clean up his own messes. And with Shaw unavailable coming off the injury and Sthele starting today, it was either Morehouse or Stuart. I guess maybe they could have gone to LBJ but I don’t know if that’s a spot I want to bring him in.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that DP had no effect on Southard’s career or performance. 

4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

How did this Baylor dude make it to D1 baseball with these terrible mechanics 

His mechanics might be why he has horrible injury luck. I know he had some sort of arm issue last year. Has missed almost 2 full seasons due to injury. Has been good when healthy though.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

His mechanics might be why he has horrible injury luck. I know he had some sort of arm issue last year. Has missed almost 2 full seasons due to injury. Has been good when healthy though.

That’s not just me right? So stiff in the upper body, weird arm slot, no bend on the follow through. That’s a lot to put on just your arm

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

He started the Friday game in Austin and lasted one inning. That night have been his last game of the year.