DFW layover hotel

Gil Bang

Headed down to Florida for a while.  Tickets worked out a lot better if I fly to DFW on Monday, spend the night, and catch the next leg Tuesday.

Is there a hotel, preferably with an airport shuttle, that has decent restaurants/bars/convenience stores within walking distance?  looks like the bulk of DFW hotels are in the $100-150 range and that's totally fine. I'd even pay more if there's something great.

In the last ice storm we had I got stuck at the airport for 2 days and stayed here vs going home. Bar was solid that night, next to whataburger also. They have a shuttle 

Residence Inn by Marriott DFW Airport North/Grapevine
(972) 539-8989
https://maps.app.goo.gl/PjBSkUkdfQ6C4f3h9?g_st=ic

Edited by Zepol87
  • Hook 'Em 2

The Westin mentioned above is fine, but our frequent go-to is the DFW Sheraton.  Thanks to using the mobile key, we are in-and-out quite a bit without ever getting near the front desk.  We just prefer it to The Westin.  No particular reason...

Both have decent restaurants and bars inside.  And both have shuttles.  

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I’m a little slow. How does staying overnight in Dallas work better for the tickets? Monetarily? Temporally? Avoiding a relative? 

Fair question.  

We are going down to the Keys for a couple of weeks. "Dogsitting" for a very, very wealthy friend at his oceanfront home while he is abroad. 

GF's mom lives in Palm Beach area.  We are going to drop in on her for a day.  If I do the entire trip same day, we get in there late at night. I leave SAN at 6 AM or so, and land PBI at 10 PM or so. Too late for a woman of her age. 

If we  spend a night in DFW, we leave SAN mid-day, arrive DFW early evening for a nice dinner/drinks/bang session, catch a mid-morning flight the next day, and roll into Mom's place in the early afternoon. GF and mom catch up, I do a few honey-do's around the house, we  go to an early dinner, have a nice breakfast together the next morning, and then GF and I continue on our trip. 

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Hook 'Em 1

The bar scene at the Grand Hyatt can be lively. It's in Terminal D. Why fuck with those miserable airport hotel shuttles?

Hotels near the airport with options to eat and drink within *walking distance* is a tough call. Unless you just love chains. 

50 minutes ago, orange dream said:

Either of the Hyatts attached to the airport are more convenient than anything else you will find.  You will be more "captive" there than you will be at one of the places you have to shuttle to but it really depends on your schedule and preference.

If that's the call, the Grand Hyatt is light years better than the Hyatt Regency. The Grand is attached to a terminal while the Regency is not and requires a shuttle ride. The F&B at the Grand is also significantly better and, as someone mentioned above, the bar can actually be a good time.

5 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Rooms are about $450 at Grand Hyatt. 

I'd rather get a $150 room and spend the $300 elsewhere during my trip. 

Agreed. I'd love to have unlimited personal, or business expense funds but alas that is not the case. Sorry for being poor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Another vote for already mentioned is Hilton in Southlake town square - 6 miles west of airport - easy Uber - walk to high end shopping and restaurants. Eat at Moxies and enjoy local talent wait staff….another rec woukd be Hotel Vin in Grapevine (maybe 3 miles west of airport) .  Nice restaurant and bar and walk or easy Uber to Grapevine shops and bars on Main St 

Was in Napa last year.  Flight back through DFW was fucked up because AA.  Landed at midnight or some shit and we knew in advance.  We booked the last room in one of the Hyatts.  Landed close to 1 am and without breaking stride, we went right to the hotel shuttle and were in our room in 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, the rubes (who also checked bags) were roaming around looking for gate agents (lulz) as they were promised a room at the Motel 6 in Grapevine or some shit.

Hotels on the actual airport properties are always full of interesting people.  Hiltons or whatever are filled with families traveling in Group 9 steerage.  

13 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Was in Napa last year.  Flight back through DFW was fucked up because AA.  Landed at midnight or some shit and we knew in advance.  We booked the last room in one of the Hyatts.  Landed close to 1 am and without breaking stride, we went right to the hotel shuttle and were in our room in 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, the rubes (who also checked bags) were roaming around looking for gate agents (lulz) as they were promised a room at the Motel 6 in Grapevine or some shit.

Hotels on the actual airport properties are always full of interesting people.  Hiltons or whatever are filled with families traveling in Group 9 steerage.  

I think I posted this:  

Got stuck in CLT.  Got to hotel late.  Restaurant and bar are closed.  They have the little market thing in the lobby.  Beers are 7 or 8 bucks.  We order pizza, because there is no other option, and I buy 2 beers from the lobby, and I'm not happy.  I'm heading back to the elevator with the just-delivered pizza, and my two beers, and some good-ol'-boy is getting in the elevator with an 18 pack.  I ask where he got it.  He says he took Uber to the 7-11, assures me that he cannot drink all 18, and hands me as many as I could hold...5 or 6, and says "have a good 'un".  I offered money, but being a gentleman, he refused it. 

TL/DR: steerage people can be fun 

• Hook 'Em 2

I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt more times than I care to recount owing to flight cancelations and such.  I mean, I'm never happy when I'm there.  But you get a nice room with a view of the ramp and runways.  The bar is actually good.  And it's really nice to be a few steps away from the TSA checkpoint.

A lot of the guys I work with end up doing a lot of overnights (sometimes unexpected) at DFW. The cheap deals always seem to be the hotels on Esters Blvd on the North side of DFW. There is a Red Roof, Quality Inn, Wingate and a Westin. To the South of 114 there is a Sheraton. I've heard no complaints, I'm sure the Westin and Sheraton are the nicest of the group but probably the most expensive. 

On 4/27/2023 at 2:48 PM, JCHIL said:

another rec woukd be Hotel Vin in Grapevine (maybe 3 miles west of airport) .  Nice restaurant and bar and walk or easy Uber to Grapevine shops and bars on Main St 

Hotel Vin checks all the boxes, sans an airport shuttle, but it's pretty expensive if I recall.