2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

17 hours ago, Js1 said:

Someone who pays rent and their phone and light bill every month, on time, isn’t good enough to get a loan? Why? It should factor into that decision just as much as income to monthly expense ratio would  

Maybe they are credit card averse. Not everyone is the points guy. An estimated 26 million Americans Are credit invisible. And they are predominantly poor, black and Hispanic. 

Once I went a few years with no credit cards and became exactly this sort of credit invisible.

I then went to get a car loan. Hell, I had enough money saved to get the damn used car, but for whatever reason, I asked for a loan.

They offered me a ghetto interest rate because I had no credit history.

I instinctively reached back into my Ancient European Mammoth-Hunting past, and thundered contempt down the phone line.

I was immediately offered a White Person interest rate.

Moral: We just need to teach everybody how to occasionally act like an angry white man. I'm willing to take on a class starting next week, for a low, low $50/hour per person.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Once I went a few years with no credit cards and became exactly this sort of credit invisible.

I then went to get a car loan. Hell, I had enough money saved to get the damn used car, but for whatever reason, I asked for a loan.

They offered me a ghetto interest rate because I had no credit history.

I instinctively reached back into my Ancient European Mammoth-Hunting past, and thundered contempt down the phone line.

I was immediately offered a White Person interest rate.

Moral: We just need to teach everybody how to occasionally act like an angry white man. I'm willing to take on a class starting next week, for a low, low $50/hour per person.

• Like 3

Damn that made me laugh ... “I didn’t catch you at the wrong time did I?” With a mousy uptick too. Ha.

Shit talk about voices. Also try going from a forceful male voice to a deferential higher pitched female voice - always white of course - sarcasm meter check 1, 2, 3 - and watch the difference in how you’re treated.

If I focus I can access that old voice and sometimes I use it and with a female name that’s also a male name in a small percentage of cases, I can get away with it on the phone. It works. I should start a class for women on how to use your male voice.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, troph said:

Damn that made me laugh ... “I didn’t catch you at the wrong time did I?” With a mousy uptick too. Ha.

Shit talk about voices. Also try going from a forceful male voice to a deferential higher pitched female voice - always white of course - sarcasm meter check 1, 2, 3 - and watch the difference in how you’re treated.

If I focus I can access that old voice and sometimes I use it and with a female name that’s also a male name in a small percentage of cases, I can get away with it on the phone. It works. I should start a class for women on how to use your male voice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/11/arts/music/transgender-opera-singers.html

First full-on attack ad of the Dem primary. But this beef goes way back.

Watch this clip from the 2008 debates and the smiles on Joe, Hillary, and Barack's faces. Bloodthirsty war-mongering piece of shit smiling and laughing at Crazy 'Ole Mike who is speaking 100% truth.

Gravel needs to be on that stage.

• Like 1

Interesting thread on twitter data related to the candidates twitter accounts (if you’re into this sort of thing).

As I said a long time ago, a big red flag with Biden was how absent his presence is in the social media ecosystems.  His digital game is terrible and it’s a huge liability.  Eric Swalwell is being amplified more than Biden on twitter. 

D9O0sENWwAEmZnd?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

2 hours ago, horncyclist said:

that's an awesome article.  thank you!

in some ways this world is a heaping pile of shit and gets worse every day.  in other ways we live in an incredible time.  the fact that they and we and I can live peacefully and happily is about as close to a miracle as one can find, at least for me as it was the miracle I prayed for time and time again.

good for those singers, that's really awesome.

• Like 1

Pretty good read on basically everything wrong with the Democratic Party.

There is hard data that shows that a centrist Democrat would be a losing candidate

Economist Thomas Piketty wrote a paper about this in 2018, though the Democrats paid no attention

https://www.salon.com/2019/06/02/there-is-hard-data-that-shows-that-a-centrist-democrat-would-be-a-losing-candidate/

A snippet:

For someone who was not acquainted with Piketty's paper, the argument for a centrist Democrat might sound compelling. If the country has tilted to the right, should we elect a candidate closer to the middle than the fringe? If the electorate resembles a left-to-right line, and each voter has a bracketed range of acceptability in which they vote, this would make perfect sense. The only problem is that it doesn't work like that, as Piketty shows.

The reason is that nominating centrist Democrats who don't speak to class issues will result in a great swathe of voters simply not voting. Conversely, right-wing candidates who speak to class issues, but who do so by harnessing a false consciousness — i.e. blaming immigrants and minorities for capitalism's ills, rather than capitalists — will win those same voters who would have voted for a more class-conscious left candidate. Piketty calls this a "bifurcated" voting situation, meaning many voters will connect either with far-right xenophobic nationalists or left-egalitarian internationalists, but perhaps nothing in-between.

Piketty's paper is an inconvenient truth for the Democratic Party. The party's leaders see themselves as the left wing of capital — supporting social policies that liberal rich people can get behind, never daring to enact economic reforms that might step on rich donors' toes. Hence, the establishment seems intent on anointing the centrist Democrats of capital, who push liberal social policies and neoliberal economic policies.

All I see at this point is it’s no longer a Biden/Bernie race. Anyone in the top 5 could win Iowa/NH. And no one is going to romp in either state and rack up big delegate numbers in the first 4. 

4 weeks ago it was “will the primary be over after SC?” And now it’s obvious it won’t be. 

Biden isn’t going to win Iowa or NH.  His entire candidacy is based on holding the black vote. He’s not going to do it.  Bernie is also toast IMO but he is still useful in this race because he’s attacking the establishment.  Pete needs to pull some magic inside straight to get the nomination, I like his chances more than Bernie or Biden.  However, I really think it’s going to come down to Harris vs Warren in the end.  

• Like 1

Gravel has reached the minimum number of donors threshold to reach the debates. He hasn't met the polling threshold yet, but the teens running his campaign had a broadcast on Twitch earlier that I'll post when it's up.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Harris in the pack in New Hampshire is huge.

I read she’s considering putting in staff into Vermont. I like it, you don’t cede any state just because someone else represents it - maybe they like Bernie in the senate but not as president. No one is going to avoid California because she’s the Senator. Fuck that noise. 

1 hour ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Of the early states, which ones are winner take all? I would never concede a state that is proportional.

None. There’s thresholds to getting delegates - such as % of the overall vote and % per CD (like in SC). The democrats do not do winner take all 

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

it's time to whittle this field down to the top 6

if you listen, rather than stare at those psycho eyes, Booker is actually solid. The eyes are his downfall; he should wear sunglasses during the debates. His numbers will surely rise. 

Edited by NowThis

if you listen, rather than stare at those psycho eyes, Booker is actually solid. The eyes are his downfall; he should wear sunglasses during the debates. His numbers will surely rise. 

He was heavy on prison reform before it was cool. He was a fierce advocate for LGBTQ folks including trans folk for a while - his speech on equality - tolerance is not enough and love for your countrymen requires so much more is ridiculously good.

Get fucked Bennet

[edit to avoid threepostin']

Bernie runs a cleaner campaign than basically anyone. The "Bernie Bros are so mean and harrassing" trope is 100% bullshit. Other candidates are nastier to Bernie than vice versa and the same is true of the corresponding fanbases.

Bernie just wants to make sure that literally everyone has healthcare.

Edited by bad_teammate

"vote blue, no matter who" (but hopefully not biden).

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/14/opinions/netroots-democrat-unity-2020-obeidallah/index.html

(CNN)The headline-grabbing Democratic infighting between Speaker Nancy Pelosi and the high-profile progressive Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC), D-New York, must be bringing joy to President Donald Trump and the GOP.

After all, a divided Democratic party would be a great boon to Trump's 2020 reelection bid. And clearly Trump wants to fan the flames of that divide, as we saw with his racist tweets Sunday morning, in which he wrote that he wanted AOC and her closest allies in the House -- Rep. Ilhan Omar, D-Minnesota, and Rep. Ayanna Pressley, D-Massachusetts, who are black, and Rep. Rashida Tlaib, D-Michigan, who is the daughter of Palestinian immigrants -- to go back to their own countries, and that he was sure Speaker Pelosi would be "happy" to work out arrangements for their travel. (Pelosi slammed Trump in response for his racist tweets.)

But what I witnessed this past week at the annual Netroots convention in Philadelphia tells a far different tale about what's going on with rank-and-file progressives -- and it should deeply worry Trump and his supporters who were hoping for a divided Democratic Party come 2020.

Netroots is an annual gathering of progressive activists that began in 2006. As Netroots organizers explained to me, it grew from a few hundred attendees who were primarily white men to this year's convention featuring a record crowd of over 3,600 that was remarkably diverse in terms of age, race, faith, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc. And this year's conference was marked by a singular mantra in approaching the 2020 election that I heard time and time again: "Vote Blue, no matter who."

Now, to be clear, that doesn't mean there wasn't a wide range of views by the countless attendees I spoke to regarding which 2020 candidate they were supporting, with many still torn between two or three. But one moment that truly summed up what's going on with the progressive grassroots happened when I spoke to a crowd of a little over 100 people at the convention. I asked them which candidate they were supporting or at least considering. I began by asking about Sen. Elizabeth Warren, which elicited a big cheer. Then Bernie Sanders, and again a sizable number applauded. I went on to measure support (in an unscientific way) for a few of the other top tier candidates, such as Sen. Kamala Harris and South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg, with all receiving some level of support, but far below that of Warren and Sanders.

Then I came to the person leading all the recent polls: Joe Biden. The response to his name was both unanimous and comical. Not one person applauded.

After a moment of awkward silence, the room then erupted in laughter. Then, however, came the most important question of my informal survey, as I asked, "If Biden is the nominee, will you support him?" Those same people who had just been silent burst into applause with many agreeing that they would vote for a Democrat no matter who it was.

Attendees not only told me that they weren't supporting Biden, they said they didn't like him for a whole host of reasons -- from thinking that his views were out of step with today's more progressive party to the belief he's the male version of Hillary Clinton, as one person put it. But even these people made it clear they would 100% support Biden if he were the nominee -- though they often added that, if Biden wins the nomination, he "absolutely" needs to pick a very progressive running mate, and that person should be a woman or person of color, or both.

It's this progressive pragmatism over progressive purity -- even at the very liberal Netroots convention -- that reminded me of exactly what I saw and heard in the run-up to the 2018 midterm elections. Countless liberals would call my SiriusXM radio show explaining that they lived in a congressional swing district and were working tirelessly to elect the Democratic nominee despite the fact that the candidate was far more moderate than they were.

The reason was a sense of urgency and, to be blunt, desperation to take the House back so it could be a check on Trump. A few of these very same progressives even admitted that in 2016 they had not voted for Clinton because they had supported Sanders in the primary and couldn't bring themselves to cast a ballot for, as they put it, the more hawkish and "Wall Street"-backed Clinton. But Trump had changed that demand for purity and replaced it with practicality, meaning they were now supporting anyone who was the Democratic nominee.

It was that very pragmatism that led the Democrats to capture the House, flipping 40 seats and winning about 10 million more votes than House Republican candidates, making it "the largest raw vote margin in a House midterm election ever," according to CNN.

(In contrast, in 2016, Clinton won the popular vote by a far smaller margin of about 2.9 million votes.)

Of course, the fight for the nomination could get very ugly. But the sense of urgency and desperation to defeat Trump actually trumps progressive purity tests. The unity that Democrats showed in 2018 is the roadmap to their victory in 2020 -- and the greatest threat facing Trump.

2 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

So it's her belief that because Amazon is the dominant retailer in the online space, they should not be able to give their own products (which are generally white-labeled anyway) favorable placement over other products?

Isn't that what HEB does with HCF and HEB brands?

BREAK UP BIG GROCERY!!

She needs to get off of the whole break up big tech thing. Beyond wrongheaded. Find another way to appeal to the idiot technophobes in the rust belt that isn't an actual stupid idea in practice.

Edited by BradInATX

Just now, BradInATX said:

So it's her belief that because Amazon is the dominant retailer in the online space, they should not be able to give their own products (which are generally white-labeled anyway) favorable placement over other products?

Isn't that what HEB does with HCF and HEB brands?

BREAK UP BIG GROCERY!!

She needs to get off of the whole break up big tech thing. Beyond wrongheaded.

You must own stock in tech companies.  They are seriously fucking up our shit and their only competition is the government.   But please go on about how Bezos and Zuckerberg need to be trillionares. 

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

You must own stock in tech companies.  They are seriously fucking up our shit and their only competition is the government.   But please go on about how Bezos and Zuckerberg need to be trillionares. 

Almost every dollar of my retirement is in SPY - so I own the market as a whole. I don't day trade or any of that. I have no love lost for Amazon and I think Bezos is a dick. I think the way they treat their employees is shitty and would have no problem with some sort of legislation to put some checks on that. But her proposal to "bReaK Up BiG TeCH" does nothing for that.

I'm going to need more than "they are seriously fucking up our shit" before I engage with you on this one. How are they "fucking up our shit"?

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I'm going to need more than "they are seriously fucking up our shit" before I engage with you on this one. How are they "fucking up our shit"?

They are anti-capitalist monopolies.  They capture or kill any kind of competition that moves into their space.  Between Google, Amazon, and Facebook many digital markets are cornered.   They are corrupt as fuck too with no accountability or oversight to the people they service.  Facebook is the worst offender against the population.  See also 2016 election interference and their subsequent coverup.

I don’t think they need to be destroyed.  Just broken up enough to restore a healthier marketplace in the digital space. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz