2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

The third debates need a polling and monetary amount raised (not # of donors) threshold.  Its really easy to troll a candidate into the debate based on # of donors.  Make it a minimum threshold ($5m or so and 5%). 

But the small donors!!!11!!!11!

I don’t recall her saying it needs to be mandatory today. She hit him for his comments in the 70s calling it asinine. And then Biden stuck his foot in his mouth and called civil rights a state’s right issue like an idiot 

Just now, Js1 said:

I don’t recall her saying it needs to be mandatory today. She hit him for his comments in the 70s calling it asinine. And then Biden stuck his foot in his mouth and called civil rights a state’s right issue like an idiot 

Didn't she specifically hit him for saying busing should be a local issue rather than a federal mandate?   I suppose she could say, and maybe she is saying, that a federal mandate was necessary in the 60s and 70s but not today, though I don't know that she made that clear in the debate. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Nope, watch it again. She's duplicitous as fuck.

I am the LAST person in the world to defend or praise Joe fucking Biden, but she 100% attacked him for opposing federally-mandated busing. WHICH SHE ALSO FUCKING OPPOSES.

"Do you agree that you were wrong to oppose busing in America?"

- Joe says that he didn't oppose all busing, just STATE'S RIGHTS (a position that Kamala agrees with him on)

"Well there was a failure of states to integrate public schools..."

Kamala is 100% making a pro-forced busing argument against Joe Biden in the debate. Only later she reveals that she actually agreed completely with Joe's 1970s position and the only actual problem is that he was good buddies with racist segregationists.

She's a snake.

2 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Didn't she specifically hit him for saying busing should be a local issue rather than a federal mandate?   I suppose she could say, and maybe she is saying, that a federal mandate was necessary in the 60s and 70s but not today, though I don't know that she made that clear in the debate. 

She doesn't make anything clear, ever. You can't trust a word 2 feet past her mouth. It's disgusting. There is not an issue that she won't flip on the nanosecond it seems politically advantageous.

Yes, she hit him for using the states rights seggie argument.  

I doubt Harris would support bussing today even though schools are as or even more segregated today than they were back in the 70s as many white dem voters are seggies at heart. 

6 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

That’s how I read it. It was necessary then, but maybe not today. But yes she was v unclear. Unlike the shitty healthcare question, this was her own fault. 

This is probably come down to Harris and Warren with Butt boy in there somewhere. We all owe Bernie for helping push universal healthcare and other topics into the mainstream discussion, but I feel like his light is fading. Harris is smart, attractive and tough. Buttigieg will be an anathema to black voters. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

That’s how I read it. It was necessary then, but maybe not today. But yes she was v unclear. Unlike the shitty healthcare question, this was her own fault. 

Actually, I remembered that she already said something about this post-debate.  I looked it up, and it seems like she's flip-flopped on this:

"On Sunday, Kamala Harris expressed support for new, federally mandated busing policies. “I support busing. Listen, the schools of America are as segregated, if not more segregated, today than when I was in elementary school,” Harris said. “Where states fail to do their duty to ensure equality of all people and in particular where states create or pass legislation that created inequality, there’s no question that the federal government has a role and a responsibility to step up."

Bernie needs to stay above the fray for as long as possible and avoid ALL this melodrama. It was smart of him to just stand there and let them flail at each other. He needs to keep that up; stay out of the bullshit and keep pounding the message home.

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She’s going to lose me if she can’t be clear.

How did she ever get you in the first place?

Kamala needs to show that she's got more than grilling the shit out of someone who is unable to fight back. That's the only situation in which she has ever really impressed, and I don't think that's even really presidential anyway. Then she gets in a one on one situation and there's a lot of "um well um you see...".

Although it would be kind of funny if going forward, whoever curb stomps Biden gets a huge bump in the polls. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Her flip flopping so far is way too blatant and clumsy to be sustainable.  This has now happened on busing and private health insurance.  I bet she was a really sketchy prosecutor, to be honest.

She’s just thinking about whatever helps her in the current room she’s in, and not how these things could come back to bite her later on.  That works for Trump, but I don’t think there’s such a big cult following for Kamala who will blindly accept anything from her.  Plus, like Red Five said, she isn’t even very good at this. She’s good at the cross examining some hapless sap part, but then the aftermath is bizarre.

I watched her last night on cspan at a brewery in iowa and she came off okay.  she could win this. 

She is fundamentally a better person than the pig in office right now. I did not know she grew up in the Methodist church. I wonder how Evangelicals will twist and turn to support the pig who has never stepped foot in a church prior to running for president versus a former sunday school teacher.

8 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

I wonder how Evangelicals will twist and turn to support the pig who has never stepped foot in a church prior to running for president versus a former sunday school teacher.

very very very very easily lol

White evangelicals are the scum of the nation

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

very very very very easily lol

White evangelicals are the scum of the nation

You're right. I'm just wondering what reasoning they're going to concoct in their warped minds now that they no longer have the Hillary = Satan excuse anymore. 

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Nope, watch it again. She's duplicitous as fuck.

I am the LAST person in the world to defend or praise Joe fucking Biden, but she 100% attacked him for opposing federally-mandated busing. WHICH SHE ALSO FUCKING OPPOSES.

"Do you agree that you were wrong to oppose busing in America?"

- Joe says that he didn't oppose all busing, just STATE'S RIGHTS (a position that Kamala agrees with him on)

"Well there was a failure of states to integrate public schools..."

Kamala is 100% making a pro-forced busing argument against Joe Biden in the debate. Only later she reveals that she actually agreed completely with Joe's 1970s position and the only actual problem is that he was good buddies with racist segregationists.

She's a snake.

So here's what she needs to say: desegregation is the goal.  Busing is one tool available to reach that goal.

Back in the 70's, busing was really the only tool available to achieve desegregation.  Joe Biden opposed that.  He was happy to leave desegregation as a matter of "states' rights."

Today, we have other tools available to achieve desegregation.  Where they've been used, they've often been successful.  Things like magnet and specialty schools, revision of school-attendance zones, and transfer policies have all been developed since the 70's.  

But if there is no other tool is available, I would favor busing as a tool to achieve the constitutionally mandated goal of desegregation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So here's what she needs to say: desegregation is the goal.  Busing is one tool available to reach that goal.

Back in the 70's, busing was really the only tool available to achieve desegregation.  Joe Biden opposed that.  He was happy to leave desegregation as a matter of "states' rights."

Today, we have other tools available to achieve desegregation.  Where they've been used, they've often been successful.  Things like magnet and specialty schools, revision of school-attendance zones, and transfer policies have all been developed since the 70's.  

But if there is no other tool is available, I would favor busing as a tool to achieve the constitutionally mandated goal of desegregation.

Completely agree with this. It worries me that she doesnt just say that though.

11 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Is it bad that Kamala looking like a snake that will fight dirty makes me like her more? It sucks, but we are fighting for our future against a party that says don't believe what your eyes see and your ears hear... 

That's why the attacks on her resume haven't really worked with me.  When the next president's primary task is going to be cleaning up the residue of a criminal administration, "Kamala's a cop" doesn't strike me as a reason not to vote for her.

• Like 1

Kamala Harris did not “flip flop” on busing. It’s a complex issue and 1972 is not 2019. The biggest opportunity for school integration right now is to reform Federal housing policy to discourage exclusionary zoning. I want to know where she stands on that.

31 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Kamala Harris did not “flip flop” on busing. It’s a complex issue and 1972 is not 2019. The biggest opportunity for school integration right now is to reform Federal housing policy to discourage exclusionary zoning. I want to know where she stands on that.

If she had treated it with Biden as a complex issue about which one could reasonably have different opinions in 1972 and 2019, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt that her statements at the debate, the day after the debate, and today were merely incomplete rather than misleading and/or contradictory.    Do you think she treated it that way with Biden? 

1 hour ago, Bruh Man said:

She is fundamentally a better person than the pig in office right now. 

Yeah, but that's true of every living American not named Lindsey Graham, or Mitch McConnell, or Ted Cruz, or Kellyanne Conway, or Tucker Carlson, or wait, why are all the objectively bad people Republicans?  

Nevermind.  I'm just saying that being a better person than a lying, con man, racist, rapist, wannabe-dictator is a low bar.  Also, fuck Donald Trump.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

That's why the attacks on her resume haven't really worked with me.  When the next president's primary task is going to be cleaning up the residue of a criminal administration, "Kamala's a cop" doesn't strike me as a reason not to vote for her.

It strikes me as a good reason for her to be AG, but I want the next president to get us back to a place where the president leaves being a cop to the actual cops.  One of the biggest things the next president will have to clean up is Trump's interference with DOJ and the FBI, and the best way to accomplish that is by staying out of it. 

• Like 1

If she had treated it with Biden as a complex issue about which one could reasonably have different opinions in 1972 and 2019, I'd give her the benefit of the doubt that her statements at the debate, the day after the debate, and today were merely incomplete rather than misleading and/or contradictory.    Do you think she treated it that way with Biden? 

I don’t watch debates for an education about policy stances and I don’t think many people do. I think she put him on the spot and he couldn’t answer the bell. That says something about both of them and she clearly won the exchange.

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Kamala needs to show that she's got more than grilling the shit out of someone who is unable to fight back. That's the only situation in which she has ever really impressed, and I don't think that's even really presidential anyway. Then she gets in a one on one situation and there's a lot of "um well um you see...".

Although it would be kind of funny if going forward, whoever curb stomps Biden gets a huge bump in the polls. 

And when she has plenty of time to formulate gotcha questions.  She's not even particularly impressive on her feet.

4 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Her flip flopping so far is way too blatant and clumsy to be sustainable.  This has now happened on busing and private health insurance.  I bet she was a really sketchy prosecutor, to be honest.

She’s just thinking about whatever helps her in the current room she’s in, and not how these things could come back to bite her later on.  That works for Trump, but I don’t think there’s such a big cult following for Kamala who will blindly accept anything from her.  Plus, like Red Five said, she isn’t even very good at this. She’s good at the cross examining some hapless sap part, but then the aftermath is bizarre.

I'm not sure she was especially good at it.  She only tried cases for about six years.  Regardless, being a prosecutor is politically easy: you shoot for the conviction, whether you believe it's right or not.  And learn to make lots of tough-on-crime noises.  It doesn't typically take a lot of independent or "out-of-the-box" thinking, especially the way she played it, which was straight tough on crime.

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

It strikes me as a good reason for her to be AG, but I want the next president to get us back to a place where the president leaves being a cop to the actual cops.  One of the biggest things the next president will have to clean up is Trump's interference with DOJ and the FBI, and the best way to accomplish that is by staying out of it. 

The president is the leader of the executive branch and sets the agenda.  One needn't interfere in individual cases to set an agenda that the corruption of the previous administration is going to be fully investigated, and wrongdoers will be prosecuted.

Joe Biden, in contrast, would pardon Donald Trump.

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

yeah, we never intended the president to be someone who imposed his/her will on the other branches of govt using fear tactics and intimidation, running roughshod over the constitution and the spirit of why this country was built.  kinda important on a day like today to, you know, celebrate that fact.

4 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

You're right. I'm just wondering what reasoning they're going to concoct in their warped minds now that they no longer have the Hillary = Satan excuse anymore. 

And before that Obama = Satan. And yet they praise Trump who has never opened a bible, couldn’t give a bible verse if his life depended on it, and sexually abuses women. Just life as a Trumpkin. 

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

None of that is true. Every single tool you just listed was available in the 70s. We didn't go from slavery to busing in a week, the integration of schools was a decades-long fight and busing was the blunt force instrument the federal government ended up pursuing because all of these soft measures didn't work.

Furthermore, those things don't work. Schools are still extremely segregated, because our society is extremely segregated.

So if she said this ("Back in the 70's, busing was really the only tool available to achieve desegregation.") she would be lying... again.

Honestly, the fact that her dishonesty is making me defend Joe Biden makes me actively dislike her.

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

The president is the leader of the executive branch and sets the agenda.  One needn't interfere in individual cases to set an agenda that the corruption of the previous administration is going to be fully investigated, and wrongdoers will be prosecuted.

Joe Biden, in contrast, would pardon Donald Trump.

Why would her background as a prosecutor make her better at this than other candidates?

Edited by bad_teammate