2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

36 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeesh.  I guess she’s committed since she made such a big deal about Biden’s views in the 60s and 70s, but making busing a current issue for 2020?  Really?

It took me all of two minutes to agree with Hank’s wait and see approach with her.

This reminds me of when Newt Gingrich somehow surged up the polls in 2012 after debate theatrics, and then started unveiling his actual plans which were things like creating a moon colony.  

To be fair, the moon base was by far the best part of Newt's platform and it would be pretty bad ass if we had one.  All false promises though just like Trump's promises to rebuild infrastructure and send people to the moon part of Mars. 

Let's make this interesting -

Over/under on Q2 fundraising numbers and date of announcement for top contenders (must be released by 7/15):

Bernie - 

Beto - 

Biden - 

Booker - 

Castro - 

Harris - 

Klobuchar - 

Pete - $24.8m - announced 7/1

Warren - 

Bonus:

Trump - 

25 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

That’s my dream ticket.  Warren/Harris and lock this shit down for 16 years.

(reacting to the notion of a ticket with two women):

"the american people work hard for a living, ok?  they don't need that kind of bullshit."

-selina meyer

veep jokes aside, i wonder what polling is like for a f/f ticket.  my ideal matchup has been warren/pete, but harris/pete would obviously please me as well.  latest polling is not a great sign for the two identical old white men who have virtually the same policies.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I still *like* Beto and think he'd be perfectly suited for VP.  Not saying he deserves it or is the best but I would love a world where he's VP for Warren or Kamala for most of a decade and then "comes home" to Texas for 12 years in the Senate.  Obviously he can't be VP for Buttigieg.

I still think it's weird how... out of her skin Kamala seemed at her CNN town hall.  I had thought that she would perform well on TV and generally trend up as she had that kind of exposure, and that shook my perception of that a bit.  But she might have just had a weird little moment, and I suspect she's more comfortable if she's behind a podium or desk.

Js - curious why you have seemed to be on the Kamala train.  You strike me as someone who might have a more left candidate as your #1 pick but it seems you've been backing her for a while.

I think she’s the most likely to put together the Obama coalition and energize the voters the Democrats need where they didn’t show - I.e, Philly, Milwaukee, Detroit, Charlotte. Plus her age is a big plus. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Sanders’ camp are a bunch of little bitches

Did you watch the clip? Is there anything incorrect or even unfair about what Faiz said? Or even HOW he said it?

Pete raised a ton of money. That's great for his campaign. He did it with private, high-dollar, closed-door fundraisers at super wealthy people's houses. He is inviting exactly the type of money that Democrats writ large are saying poisons our political process. The vast majority of voters will not care at all how he raised his money, especially since it's pretty OK (not like Jeb's laughable joke of a fundraising effort which was like $200M from 10 people).

Bernie isn't doing high-dollar, closed-door fundraisers at corporate executives' homes. So he can't get the same $2700/$5400-at-a-time donations. Bernie's demographic is way younger and way less educated, so they're donating FAR less on average.

That's just how it works. Stop crying.

These numbers do matter.

Pete raising this much is a great sign for his campaign and should make everyone nervous, especially those trying to play the same fundraising game as him (Biden, Harris, and Booker). The growth in donors is the thing to watch, IMO, for any candidate who wants to try and achieve any kind of "I'm here for the people" credibility, and Pete showed that from Q1-Q2.

Strong showing, for sure.

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The crying, whining, and victimization all comes directly from Bernie Sanders' paid campaign staff. Pass that advice on to them. 

I'm sorry your chosen candidate isn't fundraising in a way that you're proud of and that this fact leads you to lash out childishly.

so do we have numbers for all the top candidates to compare who kicked ass in the $$ department post-debate? i've seen Pete's, Kamala's, and Beto said he made his goal, but i haven't seen a total. 

Biden, Bernie, Booker, Castro? 

also... there's a lot of 'B's in this race lol

Edited by mchookem

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Hank wants to speak to the social media manager of the Bernie Sanders campaign.

Well, someone needs to talk to the Sanders campaign. Their candidate is dipping in the polls and getting out-fundraised by a 37 year old Indiana mayor no one heard of 5 months ago. Whatever they're doing now isn't good enough. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

I think the ideal ticket would be Warren or Harris as P and Castro or Buttigieg as VP

What is there exciting about by Harris?  She could beat Trump depending on how the economy is performing at the time (Trump’s new “gold bug” fed might help). However, if she were to win I bet someone like Cotton wins in 2024. 

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Well, someone needs to talk to the Sanders campaign. Their candidate is dipping in the polls and getting out-fundraised by a 37 year old Indiana mayor no one heard of 5 months ago. Whatever they're doing now isn't good enough. 

Not enough bling 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I don’t know why you continually bash the far most left candidate in the running while supporting someone running to the right of a former Republican market fundie. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'm not bashing Bernie the candidate. I'm bashing his stupid campaign staff. 

A lot of Bernie critics don’t have a problem with Bernie’s policies or ideology but there is something about him or his campaign or his Bernie bro followers that put them off.  

These people are cowards. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

What is there exciting about by Harris?  

She's a really intelligent, articulate, attractive bi-racial woman who can get tough while maintaining general likability.  She's going to win over a lot of people as this process goes on, and rightly so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Concern Trolling - the action or practice of disingenuously expressing concern about an issue in order to undermine or derail genuine discussion.

To hear this forum talk about the polls, you'd think Bernie was 4th place and nose-diving. But, you know... he's not. He might eventually, but it hasn't happened.

I, personally, think he's got a hard floor of 10-15% that will hold unless he falls apart (starts showing signs of mental degradation or whatever). He hasn't had a favorable news/op-ed cycle since February, which hasn't been helpful, but he's still the clear #2, as he has been from the beginning. He came out of Q1 with $20M in the war chest and 500+k donors. He'll probably have another $10-$20M for the war chest coming out of Q2 with hundreds of thousands of donors and volunteers.

Being #2 with #1 falling like a rock is a fine place to be. I give Bernie a 1-in-4 shot at winning the nomination (the same as I had at his polling peak).

People who do grassroots fundraising are going to lose the overall dollar race to those who go to the donor class. That's why it's the donor class. A few months ago they were furious about how hard it was to get candidates to take their money, and now that Biden has broken the seal, many candidates are making the circuit and gobbling up the cash.

Bernie's not one of them, and he's reliant on very small contributions from a broad range of people.

But not everyone can play that game. As you say, Pete's a newcomer. Not only that, but the donor class LOVES him.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Concern Trolling - the action or practice of disingenuously expressing concern about an issue in order to undermine or derail genuine discussion.

To hear this forum talk about the polls, you'd think Bernie was 4th place and nose-diving. But, you know... he's not. He might eventually, but it hasn't happened.

I, personally, think he's got a hard floor of 10-15% that will hold unless he falls apart (starts showing signs of mental degradation or whatever). He hasn't had a favorable news/op-ed cycle since February, which hasn't been helpful, but he's still the clear #2, as he has been from the beginning. He came out of Q1 with $20M in the war chest and 500+k donors. He'll probably have another $10-$20M for the war chest coming out of Q2 with hundreds of thousands of donors and volunteers.

Being #2 with #1 falling like a rock is a fine place to be. I give Bernie a 1-in-4 shot at winning the nomination (the same as I had at his polling peak).

People who do grassroots fundraising are going to lose the overall dollar race to those who go to the donor class. That's why it's the donor class. A few months ago they were furious about how hard it was to get candidates to take their money, and now that Biden has broken the seal, many candidates are making the circuit and gobbling up the cash.

Bernie's not one of them, and he's reliant on very small contributions from a broad range of people.

But not everyone can play that game. As you say, Pete's a newcomer. Not only that, but the donor class LOVES him.

the cnn poll today was the first 'legit' poll to show him running 4th (that i've seen).

i believe that poll is accurate for the moment.  but i also believe the numbers are soft because it's full of post debate fever.  in fact, it was advertised as the "first post-debate poll".

i don't think anyone can really argue at this point about the viability of the top group, which is those 4 + pete and maybe another person or two, depending on money and momentum.  there's a long way to go, and i don't see anyone attacking bernie here (just sassy twitter comments responding to bernie's people being sassy about donor totals).  hardly something to get worked up about.

we've been saying the big storyline to follow would be "when does biden start leaking, and who picks up those points?"  we're starting to see already.

Only 21% want true M4A as pitched by Warren/Sanders.

Only 14% want policies left of Obama.

It's almost as if the schtick of "anyone who isn't pushing wildly far left policies is a concern troll" is, in fact, concern trolling. Pushing policy that 80+ percent of voters are against is definitely a winning formula. Big tent baby.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Only 21% want true M4A as pitched by Warren/Sanders.

Only 14% want policies left of Obama.

It's almost as if the schtick of "anyone who isn't pushing wildly far left policies is a concern troll" is, in fact, concern trolling. Pushing policy that 80+ percent of voters are against is definitely a winning formula. Big tent baby.

The framing of the question is disingenuous misleading bullshit.  

No one wants to outlaw private insurance.  Warren doesn’t want to prohibit private insurance.  The likely effect of MFA however would make private insurance obsolete for most Americans. 

The horror...

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Love having my employer based insurance that changes every year or even fucks you over because an out-of-network doctor treated you in an in-network hospital. Can't wait for that to continue to be the norm because apparently paying a premium every month isn't a tax.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

That's not what "concern trolling" means. "Concern trolling" is when someone pretends to be worried about the health or success of a person or movement as a way of simply criticizing it. This is what Hank does when he cries about Bernie's representatives not making him, personally, happy.

What you're describing is simply political triangulation.

You're not good at this.

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i don't think anyone can really argue at this point about the viability of the top group, which is those 4 + pete and maybe another person or two, depending on money and momentum.

Yep.

Iowa isn't until January. A candidate needs enough money to keep the campaign functions alive and enough supporters to keep spreading the word. Pete's got those in spades. Bernie will almost certainly have those. Warren's got the heat, but we'll see about the money. Kamala's got the money, but we'll see if she can keep the heat. Biden's got the money and, well... lol.

The framing of the question is disingenuous misleading bullshit.  
No one wants to outlaw private insurance.  Warren doesn’t want to prohibit private insurance.  The likely effect of MFA however would make private insurance obsolete for most Americans. 
The horror...
"Many people watching at home have health insurance coverage through their employer. Who here would abolish their private health insurance in favor of a government plan?"

How exactly is that misleading? Seems pretty straightforward to me.
b5f7e7189820afee0e8016b869f18a59.jpg

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

"Many people watching at home have health insurance coverage through their employer. Who here would abolish their private health insurance in favor of a government plan?"

How exactly is that misleading? Seems pretty straightforward to me.
b5f7e7189820afee0e8016b869f18a59.jpg

If that's an exact quote, I see why Kamala got confused.   What is the purpose of the word "their" before "private insurance"?  It seems to refer to the insurance personally held by each candidate. 

Edited by Mojo Hand