2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Best policy idea I’ve heard to date: Beto wants to pay for veteran care by taxing the wealthy who haven’t done military service. Brilliant.

No, he wants to tax everyone who isn't in the military. Period. Not just the wealthy. 

mEdIa CoVeRaGe hAs NoThInG tO Do WiTh PoLlInG

Remember in April, when Pete surged to 3rd?

Remember in May, when Bernie slumped (still remained 2nd, though)?

See how Warren's rise to a comfortable 3rd has coincided with receiving 2x as much media coverage as Bernie?

See how Biden maintains a dominant lead with 3-5x the coverage of his competitors?

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

mEdIa CoVeRaGe hAs NoThInG tO Do WiTh PoLlInG

Remember in April, when Pete surged to 3rd?

Remember in May, when Bernie slumped (still remained 2nd, though)?

See how Warren's rise to a comfortable 3rd has coincided with receiving 2x as much media coverage as Bernie?

See how Biden maintains a dominant lead with 3-5x the coverage of his competitors?

the problem (for joe) or opportunity (for the rest of us) is the more the media covers joe, the more people start to learn he isn't the answer.

i hope he sucks in all the media oxygen for the next few months.  won't be good for him.

She checks a lot of marks for Democratic voters 

1. Female

2. The #Resistance loves her

3. Most progressives love her

4. Establishment Ds generally approve

5. Policy heavy

6. She's a "fighter"

She's done a fantastic job over the last month or two of cornering every market.  The fact that Bernie is farther left shields her from criticism.  Most Sanders supporters and #NeverBernies like her. That's hard to pull off. 

- The second choice of most Biden voters is Bernie

LMAO. This just shows you how tenuous any NATIONAL polling is right now. This only happens with voters who are paying no attention and are naming the 2 candidates they most recognize.  Biden's support is a fucking mirage right now. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:
LMAO. This just shows you how tenuous any NATIONAL polling is right now. This only happens with voters who are paying no attention and are naming the 2 candidates they most recognize.  Biden's support is a fucking mirage right now. 

Not just national; all polling.

This is kind of misleading, though, because Yang was basically 100% unknown until like 4 months ago. I've known about Pete for years.

19 hours ago, Js1 said:

Should go 20, to 15, to 10, to 5. Enough of the clown car. Giving Trump a trillion debates with 20 people was a problem. I want the field to be 5-7 by the time it’s Iowa. 

no shit.  you had cookie cutter republicans 1 through 20 splitting up the vote among themselves, and then you had candidate X.  70% of those voting in primaries could have preferred all of candidates 1 through 20 to candidate X, but candidate X would end up winning a pick 1 and only 1 election. 

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Not just national; all polling.

This is kind of misleading, though, because Yang was basically 100% unknown until like 4 months ago. I've known about Pete for years.

I'm confused.  The article says the following, but the chart at the RCP link it includes shows that Warren's support average has gone way up since her announcement (and generally over the last several months) :

"But for now, she is at just about 12 percent in an average of national polls— about the same support she had shortly after her announcement" 

Edited by Mojo Hand

For the debate, my Elizabeth Warren strategy would be for her to sell herself as the future leader of the party, not just a person that can beat Trump. 

Something like:

“This country has serious problems.  Serious problems that demand serious solutions and more importantly a leader that is dead serious about fighting for those solutions.

I think we all know we’re not getting out of the Trump era without a fight so we’re going to have to make a choice.  A candidate people think can merely beat Trump or a candidate that will take the fight to Trump and give no quarter to the corruption he represents. 

Now is not the time for half measures, playing it safe, or going back to a status quo that was so broken America elected Donald Trump President.  Now is our time.  Our time to fight for exactly what we want this country to be.”

I just want Liz to be true to herself.  She needs to go out there and proclaim what she actually believes: "I was a Republican because I thought that those were the people who best supported markets. I think that is not true anymore."

The Finance 202: Finance pros who have tangled with Elizabeth Warren have a warning for her debate rivals

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/the-finance-202/2019/06/26/the-finance-202-finance-pros-who-have-tangled-with-elizabeth-warren-have-a-warning-for-her-debate-rivals/5d12960b1ad2e552a21d5106/

A group of Democratic presidential hopefuls — mostly polling in the low single digits— will take the stage tonight with rising first-tier contender Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) for the first debate of the 2020 campaign.

But financial industry pros who have tangled with Warren -- a Wall Street scourge -- have a warning for her rivals hoping for a breakout moment: Attack Warren at your own peril.

Warren, they say from watching her closely over the years, is a force: While her presidential bid has focused on policy proposals -- and she has cultivated an image as an approachable everywoman -- she has for years been a ruthless prosecutor of regulators and finance industry executives when they’ve appeared for testimony before the Senate Banking Committee.

“From the very beginning, she demonstrated a certitude and a prosecutorial style that for the most part doesn’t give anybody a chance to respond: She has strong opinions and she delivers them in a forceful way,” says Charles Gabriel, president of Capital Alpha Partners, a Washington-based investment research firm. “She’s been a force in politics. She strikes fear” into financiers. 

Investors demonstrated that fear on Friday, when stocks of some private prison companies dropped by 5 percent after Warren called for a ban on the facilities. 

The lesson for fellow White House aspirants, says Ian Katz, Gabriel’s colleague, is to steer clear of Warren’s areas of expertise: “She will come armed with statistics and research on the topic she’s focusing on. The takeaway from that for the debaters is to stay away from the topics she has dug into in the past — too big to fail, anything Wells Fargo, bailouts, oversight of banks, perhaps student debt.” 

The Wells Fargo case is emblematic of Warren’s approach to filleting big bank executives she believes have acted inappropriately. When then-Wells Fargo CEO Tim Sloan appeared before the banking panel in October 2017 — his first appearance as chief executive, two weeks before his first anniversary in the job — he ran into a buzz saw of criticism from the Massachusetts Democrat. She quoted Sloan back to himself from earnings calls talking up the bank’s record opening new accounts and depicted him as enabling the bank’s fake account scandal. 

“At best you were incompetent, at worst you were complicit, and either way, you should be fired,” she said. “Wells Fargo needs to start over and that won’t happen until the bank rids itself of people like you who led it into this crisis.”

Sloan stepped down in March. The Wall Street Journal editorial board, in a piece titled, “Elizabeth Warren Gets Her Man,” noted the move came a week after Warren and Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown, the top Democrat on the Banking Committee, wrote to Fed Chair Jerome Powell that “Wells Fargo is fundamentally broken,” and “there is no evidence whatsoever that Mr. Sloan will fix these problems.”

It’s extremely unlikely Warren will subject any of her rivals to the same treatment tonight. For one, the events are fundamentally different: Whereas Warren in a hearing controls the exchange, she will be on equal footing with her rivals in the debate, subject to the debate format and the will of the moderators. And the primary aim of the candidates, Warren included, will be introducing themselves to the widest audience they’ve had in the campaign so far. 

“I don’t see her being as aggressive or accusatory as she is in hearings, because her goal here is to contour policy differences between her and the rest of the field, not shine a spotlight on what she views as illegal or inappropriate behavior,” says Isaac Boltansky, director of policy research at Compass Point Research. 

And to the extent any rivals try to draw her out, Boltansky said, “I doubt she’s going to take the bait if there are any direct attacks.” Indeed, the event may be little more than a “preseason tune-up” for Warren, since most of the other top-tier candidates won’t take the stage until Thursday night. 

From that group, Warren looks likely to clash sooner rather than later with Biden, whom she has a long history of criticizing over his support for a bankruptcy bill that made it harder for consumers to shed debt. In April, shortly after Biden officially declared his candidacy, Warren said he “is on the side of the credit card companies.”

“Her life’s work has been worrying about and fighting for the little guy. That’s what bankruptcy law is,” Better Markets president Dennis Kelleher says. “Biden’s been buck-raking on Wall Street and giving comfort to the comfortable.” What Warren’s performances in Congressional hearings demonstrate, he says, is her ability “to get to a point that’s relatable, understandable and meaningful to a general audience.” Whether she can translate that to the debate stage “will be one of the things that determines whether she stays in the top tier.”

13 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This is WIDE OPEN.

Crooked Media (love the name) polling also had Biden-Warren-Sanders bunched up at the top in NH too.  (Sanders 28, Biden 24, Warren 21) 

Kamala black power hand gesture

Booker "Raycis'" - wow

Of course Pete has a purple car

LOL at Aooggah.  The hammer/sickle cloud is lazy.

Now, the front of Joe's car with the creepy angel...Awesome. 

Wait...wut??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prolly the Russians, Tulsi was absolutely the worst tonight.

Amy, Inslee, and DeBlasio all came off as they knew what they were doing. Former NY Mayor, Senator, Governor.

Tim Ryan and Delaney actually rang a bell with me too, incredibly real.

Prolly the Russians, Tulsi was absolutely the worst tonight.

Amy, Inslee, and DeBlasio all came off as they knew what they were doing. Former NY Mayor, Senator, Governor.

Tim Ryan and Delaney actually rang a bell with me too, incredibly real.

Sure the Russians are to blame for all the responses to this young Turks twitter thread eh?

• Like 1

The Finance 202: Finance pros who have tangled with Elizabeth Warren have a warning for her debate rivals
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/the-finance-202/2019/06/26/the-finance-202-finance-pros-who-have-tangled-with-elizabeth-warren-have-a-warning-for-her-debate-rivals/5d12960b1ad2e552a21d5106/

A group of Democratic presidential hopefuls — mostly polling in the low single digits— will take the stage tonight with rising first-tier contender Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) for the first debate of the 2020 campaign.

But financial industry pros who have tangled with Warren -- a Wall Street scourge -- have a warning for her rivals hoping for a breakout moment: Attack Warren at your own peril.

Warren, they say from watching her closely over the years, is a force: While her presidential bid has focused on policy proposals -- and she has cultivated an image as an approachable everywoman -- she has for years been a ruthless prosecutor of regulators and finance industry executives when they’ve appeared for testimony before the Senate Banking Committee.

“From the very beginning, she demonstrated a certitude and a prosecutorial style that for the most part doesn’t give anybody a chance to respond: She has strong opinions and she delivers them in a forceful way,” says Charles Gabriel, president of Capital Alpha Partners, a Washington-based investment research firm. “She’s been a force in politics. She strikes fear” into financiers. 

Investors demonstrated that fear on Friday, when stocks of some private prison companies dropped by 5 percent after Warren called for a ban on the facilities. 

The lesson for fellow White House aspirants, says Ian Katz, Gabriel’s colleague, is to steer clear of Warren’s areas of expertise: “She will come armed with statistics and research on the topic she’s focusing on. The takeaway from that for the debaters is to stay away from the topics she has dug into in the past — too big to fail, anything Wells Fargo, bailouts, oversight of banks, perhaps student debt.” 

The Wells Fargo case is emblematic of Warren’s approach to filleting big bank executives she believes have acted inappropriately. When then-Wells Fargo CEO Tim Sloan appeared before the banking panel in October 2017 — his first appearance as chief executive, two weeks before his first anniversary in the job — he ran into a buzz saw of criticism from the Massachusetts Democrat. She quoted Sloan back to himself from earnings calls talking up the bank’s record opening new accounts and depicted him as enabling the bank’s fake account scandal. 

“At best you were incompetent, at worst you were complicit, and either way, you should be fired,” she said. “Wells Fargo needs to start over and that won’t happen until the bank rids itself of people like you who led it into this crisis.”

Sloan stepped down in March. The Wall Street Journal editorial board, in a piece titled, “Elizabeth Warren Gets Her Man,” noted the move came a week after Warren and Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown, the top Democrat on the Banking Committee, wrote to Fed Chair Jerome Powell that “Wells Fargo is fundamentally broken,” and “there is no evidence whatsoever that Mr. Sloan will fix these problems.”

It’s extremely unlikely Warren will subject any of her rivals to the same treatment tonight. For one, the events are fundamentally different: Whereas Warren in a hearing controls the exchange, she will be on equal footing with her rivals in the debate, subject to the debate format and the will of the moderators. And the primary aim of the candidates, Warren included, will be introducing themselves to the widest audience they’ve had in the campaign so far. 

“I don’t see her being as aggressive or accusatory as she is in hearings, because her goal here is to contour policy differences between her and the rest of the field, not shine a spotlight on what she views as illegal or inappropriate behavior,” says Isaac Boltansky, director of policy research at Compass Point Research. 

And to the extent any rivals try to draw her out, Boltansky said, “I doubt she’s going to take the bait if there are any direct attacks.” Indeed, the event may be little more than a “preseason tune-up” for Warren, since most of the other top-tier candidates won’t take the stage until Thursday night. 

From that group, Warren looks likely to clash sooner rather than later with Biden, whom she has a long history of criticizing over his support for a bankruptcy bill that made it harder for consumers to shed debt. In April, shortly after Biden officially declared his candidacy, Warren said he “is on the side of the credit card companies.”

“Her life’s work has been worrying about and fighting for the little guy. That’s what bankruptcy law is,” Better Markets president Dennis Kelleher says. “Biden’s been buck-raking on Wall Street and giving comfort to the comfortable.” What Warren’s performances in Congressional hearings demonstrate, he says, is her ability “to get to a point that’s relatable, understandable and meaningful to a general audience.” Whether she can translate that to the debate stage “will be one of the things that determines whether she stays in the top tier.”

This deserves more attention. Just her having the bully pulpit would do a ton to fix the corruption throughout business and civil society. Without passing a single law.

5 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

Maybe I'm not anti-blue wave, just fervently anti-war and Tulsi's the only one that moves the needle in that department. I also think it's amazing to see how the Mainstream Media coverage of her campaign is totally opposite of what social media and google is showing before our very eyes.  

The obvious censorship and curtailing of those they do not wish to speak is eerily similar of the blacking out of Ron Paul's campaign in 2012.  I don't think their's any denying it at this point, but that's just me.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, American Swindle said:

Sure the Russians are to blame for all the responses to this young Turks twitter thread eh?

And just so you know the ratio on this tweet is like 1900 comments to 176 likes.  The majority of Comments are for Tulsi.  Isn't that what the woke called being ratio'd?

And this is the Young Turks, not a conservative outlet I'm told.