2018 World Cup

DanTheHorn

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

1) I feel that BOTH of the songs for 2010 had a bouncy energy that translated all over the world. I agree that for me, they are the quintessential World Cup songs. (That being said, I didn't really realize that every World Cup had an official song... or two... until I lived in Argentina.)

2) The song for 2014 was horrible! I definitely think that this year's song is better than that one, but that doesn't say a ton.

Yes he has.

But he doesn't break down like El Fideo (Di Maria) and Aguero do. Also, Aguero is 5'5" (I don't care what his "official height" is) and Higuain is 6'1". When defending corner kicks, having enough guys over 5'7" (actual height, not listed heigh) is a major concern for Argentina (like Mexico, Chile, Bolivia, Guatemala, El Salvador...) and I think that that is definitely considered when filling out the lineup.

I get that having too many short guys defending set pieces is important, but the absolute most important job for a striker is putting the ball in the back of the net.  To not use one of your many better options is retarded.

6 hours ago, IPoopOnWhoop said:

I get that having too many short guys defending set pieces is important, but the absolute most important job for a striker is putting the ball in the back of the net.  To not use one of your many better options is retarded.

I'm not saying that it is the right move, I'm just saying that I think his height plays a part in his being selected.

Messi, Higuain, Di Maria, and Aguero have been playing together since U-17s. (And if not U-17s, then definitely U-20s.) They know each other very, very well. I feel pretty sure that the won the U-20 World Cup together, they definitely won the 2008 Olympics together, they played in the 2010 World Cup, and the 2011 Copa America together, and then they reached the finals in 3 straight years: 2014 World Cup, 2015 Copa America, 2016 Copa America Centenario.

Messi now calls the shots on many of the players being IN or OUT of the Final 23, but I think that the managers have had some say in the 11 on the field.

Though Higuain chokes in big moments, he is very active for a big guy (even when fat), he's no Jozy Altidore. He makes runs and he takes defenders with him. Maybe that also has something to do with it, I don't know. But Aguero had has a pretty barren last 2 years with the national team when not dealing with health issues.

I've been waiting to dump a bunch of Spanish speaking commercials about the World Cup onto some thread. I'm going to go with this thread, because it's fairly dead. If people know of other commercials (in English or other languages), please post them. This thread needs some umph.

In Argentina, Quilmes (#1 national beer & a symbol of the country) and TyC (Tournaments & Champions sports TV station) make the best commercials. This one is made by the TyC network and jokes about Argentines' affinity for platonic physical contact between men, which I think is heavily influenced by Italian immigration. (It took some getting comfortable with, but hugs & cheek-to-cheek air kisses are part of the culture.)

This commercial basically chides Putin for his homophobia (repression?) and apologizes for physical contact between Argentine men in advance. (The bloodied part is a nod to a game where Mascherano either injured himself or shit his pants, but kept playing.)

If anyone has any questions regarding the voice-over, please post them. Others speak Spanish much better than I do, but only a few here know the culture better, so that might need to be explained as well.

Edited by Napoleon

8 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hahaha Ldogg showed me that one last night. You see the same thing in Brazil (perhaps the Italian influence as well?). Regardless, that is some solid trolling.

Perhaps I passed it along to Ldogg last night to start to chain going.

I found the bloody reference. It was from a Mascherano quote about the semifinal in 2014.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/javier-mascherano-reveals-he-tore-his-anus-in-heroic-match-saving-tackle-on-arjen-robben-9599527.html

I'm worried about my Argentine side. They had so many 30 & UP players in their preliminary 35, but did a good job whittling them down, except for 32 year-old Lucas Biglia (A.C. Milan)... who was slower in 2014 than Mashcerano is now. Biglia in 2018 should be an assistant coach, not in the final 23.

Then within the last week, a 25 year-old midfielder - Manuel Lanzini (West Ham) - who links up really well with Leo and who was probably going to be starting, tore his ACL and has been replaced by a 32 year-old Enzo Perez (River Plate). 

Losing Lanzini + Choosing Biglia (because he's a friend of Leo's rather than someone like Santiago Acacibar (Stuttgart), who is a 21 year-old 5'6" Mascherano Starter Kit) are quite possibly the two most devastating actions for Argentina. I think that I'll probably have them losing in the Quarters (I haven't filled out my bracket), but as the forgotten power, they seemed to have found a mix of youth & experience that they'd been missing over the last couple of years.

17 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Fuck FIFA for allowing this guy on the pitch.

I'm thinking that the FIFA officials are just hoping to get out of Russia alive.

And they probably are trying to avoid having a bounty on their heads if they escape this WC unscathed. (I feel for the refs who are assigned to Russia's matches.)

I'm fairly certain that Mo had no idea who this guy was. He was asked to pose for a photo, so he said "Okay". On the other hand, I'm sure that Putin knew that this was going to happen in advance and possibly it came about after he suggested it or it came up in a "brainstorming session" on how to use the WC for propaganda. 

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I'm thinking that the FIFA officials are just hoping to get out of Russia alive.

And they probably are trying to avoid having a bounty on their heads if they escape this WC unscathed. (I feel for the refs who are assigned to Russia's matches.)

I'm fairly certain that Mo had no idea who this guy was. He was asked to pose for a photo, so he said "Okay". On the other hand, I'm sure that Putin knew that this was going to happen in advance and possibly it came about after he suggested it or it came up in a "brainstorming session" on how to use the WC for propaganda. 

Oh I was talking about Salah. Who is the other guy.

But seriously fuck FIFA

Edited by MoJames
  • Like 1

I've been waiting to dump a bunch of Spanish speaking commercials about the World Cup onto some thread. I'm going to go with this thread, because it's fairly dead. If people know of other commercials (in English or other languages), please post them. This thread needs some umph.
In Argentina, Quilmes (#1 national beer & a symbol of the country) and TyC (Tournaments & Champions sports TV station) make the best commercials. This one is made by the TyC network and jokes about Argentines' affinity for platonic physical contact between men, which I think is heavily influenced by Italian immigration. (It took some getting comfortable with, but hugs & cheek-to-cheek air kisses are part of the culture.)

This commercial basically chides Putin for his homophobia (repression?) and apologizes for physical contact between Argentine men in advance. (The bloodied part is a nod to a game where Mascherano either injured himself or shit his pants, but kept playing.)

If anyone has any questions regarding the voice-over, please post them. Others speak Spanish much better than I do, but only a few here know the culture better, so that might need to be explained as well.

I love that Putin’s last name is literally a diminutive of the Spanish word ‘Puto’ (ghey/fhag). It’s missing an accent to literally mean “what’s up little ghey guy”.

Putín!
  • Like 1

So fun things are happening with the Spanish national team. Lopetegui taking the Real Madrid job wasn't supposed to become public but players got wind of it and forced their hand. The Barcelona players on the national team are pissed, the cohesion of the team has been fucked and the new President of the federation wants to fire Lopetegui. Good times.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

So fun things are happening with the Spanish national team. Lopetegui taking the Real Madrid job wasn't supposed to become public but players got wind of it and forced their hand. The Barcelona players on the national team are pissed, the cohesion of the team has been fucked and the new President of the federation wants to fire Lopetegui. Good times.

Good.

2 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

thanks for that.  the knock-on effect of fox coverage and no nats involvement is going to require all of us to stay on top of breaking news.  this has huge implications for their group and their knockout pairings.

2 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

I was already shorting Spain. Thanks for the news, that makes it even easier.

I had Spain losing in the round of 16 in 2014, which was why I was so close to winning the Shaggy pool. But I think that they at least make the Quarterfinals and possibly the Finals this time around. Benching Pique’s pedestrian ass would probably help the squad. Iniesta is old and slow and can’t last 90 minutes (he should be a tactical sub) and there has to be someone who can flop & cry as well as Buckets. 

27 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Let them have it, it’s not wise to upset a Putin.

Because Germany don’t pull peoples arms out of their sockets when they lose. Putin is known to do that.

Speaking of, politically the US is in bed with Saudi and the proxy wars they fight versus Russian backed up Iran. Would be not just a loss to Saudi Arabia, but politically you know Putin doesn't want to lose that one.

Edited by travelingtexan

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

..... and you know the rules.

So I've found a good comparison image of my amiga... she even has the Danish flag on her cheek, but I don't know how to post images swiped from Facebook. I've read that "imurg" doesn't work on here. 

What is an image hosting site that is FREE & COMPATIBLE where I can put images first?

19 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

I will take that. Poland has no shot, but Hook em... 

Polish-fans-girl-eridubet.jpg?resize=960

I have a feeling that she has "hooked 'em" many a time over the years.

The handcuff necklace centerpiece just tells me all I need to know about this  beautiful young lady.

And I love her!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Germany comes in Second right? 

7f6f150007e9f9ffc1715498223a404e.jpg

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I have a Danish amiga who looked exactly like this about 5 years ago, but she would never dress up in German colors. 

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

..... and you know the rules.

Dane_LT.jpg

I figured it out. I've realized that my friend is naturally blonde vs the bleached hair from the German girl.

On 6/12/2018 at 11:58 AM, Napoleon said:

The best part is they tell Putin men admiring men is contagious at the end of the video.

• Haha 1