2023 Summer vacation brag thread

markstanco

5 hours ago, choripan said:

Barcelona for the summer. Dipped out to Paris for a few days last month to avoid Sant Joan, since we have two young kids and my son hadn't yet seen the Eiffel Tower. Kids love their school (casal) since it's in Castellano and not Catalan, and there's a shitload of activities. Babysitters are like 10 euro an hour. Days are free and nights are fun.

Sounds braggy, but this is the thread for it, right?

Yep, that's quite the brag.

On 7/12/2023 at 7:19 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Did Florence and Tuscany back in May.  Mixed in a tour to Cinque Terre.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.....

San Diego in September.....

Cinque Terre is beautiful and has amazing food. Highly recommended. 

Edited by SmokeyTheBear

After dropping my kid off at the airport this morning for a 10 day Jamaica trip to visit friends that live there, I’m glad we aren’t doing any traveling this summer by commercial air. The airport was the biggest clusterfuck I’ve ever seen. Luckily she has precheck and we were able to get through bag drop fairly easily, because she wasn’t making her flight if she had to stand in the regular security line. It was a mass of  pissed off people, crying people, multiple lines trying to merge into different points with people arguing, etc. Up until a couple of years ago, I flew out of this airport a couple times a month and never remember seeing it like it was this morning

24 minutes ago, Brew said:

After dropping my kid off at the airport this morning for a 10 day Jamaica trip to visit friends that live there, I’m glad we aren’t doing any traveling this summer by commercial air. The airport was the biggest clusterfuck I’ve ever seen. Luckily she has precheck and we were able to get through bag drop fairly easily, because she wasn’t making her flight if she had to stand in the regular security line. It was a mass of  pissed off people, crying people, multiple lines trying to merge into different points with people arguing, etc. Up until a couple of years ago, I flew out of this airport a couple times a month and never remember seeing it like it was this morning

So I mean like, which airport?

Left 95 degree Barcelona for a few days in 70 degree highs in London before heading back to the Texas blast furnace...

Loved my buddy giving me his rooftop apartment with a huge terrace in BCN for a week but didn't know that there wasn't an elevator... 79 frigging steps up with a wife who loves packing her suitcases to 49.9 pounds... Luckily, you can get cases of wine delivered to your door...

On 7/22/2023 at 11:28 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

Where about in Croatia? I’m currently in route home from a week on the island of Susak, and I needed at least another week.

Was that a misquote with the Hawaii guy?  We were a bit south of you in Senj.  It has a smaller city center than other places we've been, but the numerous beaches were children friendly so the kiddos loved it

Was that a misquote with the Hawaii guy?  We were a bit south of you in Senj.  It has a smaller city center than other places we've been, but the numerous beaches were children friendly so the kiddos loved it
Looks like I did quote the wrong post. Glad you had fun. I barely touched the mainland this trip. Straight from the airport to the catamaran and reverse.

7 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:
2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Looks like I did quote the wrong post. Glad you had fun. I barely touched the mainland this trip. Straight from the airport to the catamaran and reverse.

You had something chartered?  I proposed to the group (went with ext family) to explore Krk island or head up to Velebit a bit... nope, beach everyday.

You had something chartered?  I proposed to the group (went with ext family) to explore Krk island or head up to Velebit a bit... nope, beach everyday.
There are big catamarans from most of the port cities that go out on routes dropping people off on different islands. Most are daily in the summer, but only once or twice a week in the off season. Last week I flew a morning flight into Rijeka with time to catch the 5pm catamaran to Susak, then left by taking an 8:30am to Zadar, leaving me time to get to the airport for an afternoon flight to Munich. I also took a short catamaran ride over to Mali Losinj for a morning of seeing different island one day.

There are 2 main companies that operate them. I think the common port cities are Pula, Rijeka, Zadar, Split, and Dubrovnik - depending on which island you are trying to get to.

They have a new one from Rijeka this year and it doesn't have a bar!

https://www.jadrolinija.hr/hr/schedule/ScheduleSearchResults/Index/2331783/2331799/16072023

https://www.krilo.hr/plovidbeni-red/pula-unije-susak-mali_losinj-ilovik-silba-zadar/#

20230720_182716.jpg20230722_084752.jpg20230717_075521.jpg

No vacation for the wife and I this year. We’re instead sending our oldest daughter and youngest son to Japan to spend time with their brother who’s stationed over there in the Air Force. They will be spending 4 days in Tokyo and 8 in Osaka. We’ll be living vicariously through them that week. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...