a Garth Brooks thread in cloak room?

Gil Bang

Speaking of cellists, I asked my sister, who is a fairly well-known pianist in the American classical world, primarily working with solo singers and symphony/opera choruses, "where would you rank Yo-Yo Ma in the world as a cellist?"

Her response was two words:  "The top"

• 4 weeks later...

Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood are making all of the shittiest people big mad by calling for people to donate to Ukrainian refugees and now I am again rethinking my appreciation for his catalog, which I was previously lukewarm on. 

A representative tweet on how this landed with a chunk of the country audience:

• Hook 'Em 2

Really facinating article in the New Yorker about political/social changes going on in Nashville and its impact on country music. I had no idea there was such a hard divide between radio-friendly bro country and I guess what I always associated with country music as Americana now. This is likely behind a paywall if you've already used up all the free articles access, but worth a read if you have access: COUNTRY MUSIC’S CULTURE WARS AND THE REMAKING OF NASHVILLE

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's mind-blowing to watch the allegedly anti-communist right supporting what is for all intents and purposes a communist country, masquerading as a capitalist "democracy".  Simulation, indeed.

You and I are both old enough to remember when the GOP fought the Kremlin, instead of getting marching orders from there.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

You and I are both old enough to remember when the GOP fought the Kremlin, instead of getting marching orders from there.

It’s not that complicated. A democrat is in office so whatever the CIC supports, they’re against. They’re literally against anti-facsists and are triggered by the idea that Black Lives Matter. Ergo, pro Russia anti Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, YChang said:

Really facinating article in the New Yorker about political/social changes going on in Nashville and its impact on country music. I had no idea there was such a hard divide between radio-friendly bro country and I guess what I always associated with country music as Americana now. This is likely behind a paywall if you've already used up all the free articles access, but worth a read if you have access: COUNTRY MUSIC’S CULTURE WARS AND THE REMAKING OF NASHVILLE

Yeah, it's a weird thing to look at that divide.  It's easy to wave it off as a bunch of people got older and feel like everybody should go fuck themselves.

It's like the East Coast/West Coast rap war... but with people that won't do shit.
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

22 hours ago, YChang said:

Very much worth the read. No paywall link: https://archive.is/g9MPE#selection-2907.0-2914.0

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/20/2023 at 9:19 PM, tchookem said:
On 7/20/2023 at 10:24 AM, YChang said:

It's like the East Coast/West Coast rap war... but with people that won't do shit.

oh, they'll do something alright! they'll let you have it on social media behind the shield of anonymity

• Like 1