a Garth Brooks thread in cloak room?

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

The weird thing about Big & Rich is that the other half (Big Kenny) is a genuinely open-hearted guy.  It's Rich who's the dickhead.

Yeah that's what I have heard as well.

Well, country has had some pretty cheesey phases going back decades, not just the "modern" pop country (which turned into bro country).

Don't talk about Conway Twitty like that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I googled him too, and my life is a little poorer now for the knowledge.  Good thing is that at my age, I'll probably forget it soon enough.

I wish Dolly would stand up and speak her convictions.  You know they have to be fairly progressive when you consider her friends like Fonda and Tomlin.  I guess she's too worried Dollywood would go dark from all the MAGA types boycotting her.

Good lord, do you even listen to her music?  Hell, she's somewhat personally responsible for the COVID vaccine.  The magats know this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/02/world/dolly-parton-moderna-vaccine-covid.html

• Hook 'Em 4

16 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Dude loves country and rock music (check out his part in the American Pie/Don McClean documentary) and I've heard he's just the nicest guy from a few relatives in Oklahoma who know him. I liked to shit on him in the past for helping open the door for people like Toby Keith, but I don't any more.

Garth was also featured in a biographical band of the rock band Kansas with an interview of how big of a fan he was of the band Kansas.  Dude has good tastes in music.  

Edited by FartingDreamer
  • Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Garth is good people.

And I don’t care how cheesy or uncool it is, I have fond memories of of drunk singing “Friends in Low Places” with my girlfriends back in college.

And it’s still a fun song to sing in the car.

He’s a good egg.

giphy.gif

I want to tell you thank you and I mean it. I had not thought of this song in years, but it brought back a childhood memory of the earliest time I remember hearing it during the summer while playing basketball outdoors with some friends. They brought a stereo outside and we listened to pretty much just Garth. So thank you again for getting this song stuck on repeat all day in my head and for bringing back that memory. I’ve been walking through East Harlem singing it. Such a fun song.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 4:32 PM, BrickHorn said:

At this very moment, Kid Rock is racking his pea brain trying to figure out a way to shoot a pile of Garth Brooks Spotify streams. 

Except it's the one way that Garth isn't cool, that fucker doesn't allow his music to be played on the streaming services, at least not on Spotify.

23 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Except it's the one way that Garth isn't cool, that fucker doesn't allow his music to be played on the streaming services, at least not on Spotify.

I didn't know that, but I bet that's because he has his own channel on Sirius XM and they own the streaming rights.

3 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

Might be a Neil Young type of protest.

Nah this predates Rogan.  He signed to be Amazon only in 2016.  Here's his rationale:

“The fact is that Amazon is a retailer as well. So you can sign your streaming deal, but part of that streaming deal is to move those physical units so the songwriters get paid. And people, we can talk all day that ‘Garth went on to raise his kids, what a great…’ — Garth did that for himself. I stick up for the songwriters because I’m freakin’ one of them! Everything I do for the songwriters, I do for myself.

I’m the most selfish guy you’ve ever met, OK? But if we don’t take care of these songwriters, what do you guys have to play? It’s just tough, so that’s why I love partnering with [Amazon]. So the physical comes in, and nobody’s doing physical anymore. So these songwriters are still doing well.

And I hope that songwriters want to get a Garth Brooks cut. One, because I hope that they think that it would be cool. But two, right behind it closely, I hope it’s because they know that if you’re a Garth Brooks songwriter, you’re going to get paid.”

• Hook 'Em 3

On 6/10/2023 at 7:17 PM, 4th&Five said:

I’ll wait and see what Chris Gaines says. 

Sure it’s a punchline but the Chris Gaines stuff is actually good. If he had rolled out the project 10 years later with social media to support it, it would been received differently.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2023 at 6:40 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Sure it’s a punchline but the Chris Gaines stuff is actually good. If he had rolled out the project 10 years later with social media to support it, it would been received differently.

I never heard any of it, but this is an interesting thought.

On 6/12/2023 at 11:11 PM, NameAlreadyInUse said:

“The fact is that Amazon is a retailer as well. So you can sign your streaming deal, but part of that streaming deal is to move those physical units so the songwriters get paid. And people, we can talk all day that ‘Garth went on to raise his kids, what a great…’ — Garth did that for himself. I stick up for the songwriters because I’m freakin’ one of them! Everything I do for the songwriters, I do for myself.

I’m the most selfish guy you’ve ever met, OK? But if we don’t take care of these songwriters, what do you guys have to play? It’s just tough, so that’s why I love partnering with [Amazon]. So the physical comes in, and nobody’s doing physical anymore. So these songwriters are still doing well.

And I hope that songwriters want to get a Garth Brooks cut. One, because I hope that they think that it would be cool. But two, right behind it closely, I hope it’s because they know that if you’re a Garth Brooks songwriter, you’re going to get paid.”

Man, this makes me like him so much more and I already liked him.

On 6/11/2023 at 11:29 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Well, country has had some pretty cheesey phases going back decades, not just the "modern" pop country (which turned into bro country).

Butt Country

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Covri said:

Guess who Fox News brought on to give his opinion on Garth Brooks. I know we've all been sitting around saying you know whose opinion I want to hear, the copy guy.

"I'm going to speak my mind and then deal with what I do, and if I make less money – I'm sorry. I won't get a private jet. I'll just fly first class on Delta, sorry."

This is literally what Garth Brooks did, you C-list douchebag.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/10/2023 at 7:47 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Sentimental populist music, no great singer, certainly not a great writer or musician . . . but by many accounts by people we know in common, a genuinely good dude, and his wife Trisha is equally good people.

John Rich is snide, bigoted garbage masquerading as a fun guy.

Team Garth.

Yo-Yo Ma also fits into the Garth Brooks category. He's not the best cellist in the world, but everyone wants to work with him, because he's such a nice guy.

John Rich is a toadstool?

On 6/12/2023 at 5:35 PM, NameAlreadyInUse said:

There's good reasons for not allowing it on Spotify: Their support of Joe Rogan. Lots of artists avoid Spotify for that reason.

He's got a live album on Tidal, so it's not completely empty, there.

Yo-Yo Ma is way way way closer to the best cellist in the world than Garth Brooks is to the best singer, guitarist or songwriter in the world.

Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

I mean... there's a couple of pieces he's okay with, but nothing where it's really like, "Ok, wow, that's good, I want to hear that again." And most of the time it's like trying to listen to a lounge act cover The Police.

And I think his popularity dulls enthusiasm for the instrument when you've got much better performers than he flying under the radar. But there really isn't much headspace for "good cellist" in most people's minds, and he's there, so...

It's kinda like when John Taylor would win "best bass player" back in Duran Duran's heyday. I mean yeah, the guy could play bass and had some great licks and interpretation, but BEST Ev⁴rrr?

You have to appreciate what vocalists do within the context of what they're trying to achieve. No opera company is going to call up Zack de la Rocha and offer him a part in the Ring Trilogy, but what he does on "Killing in the Name" is one of the great vocal performances of the late 20th century. Period.

Garth is like that. He drawls out country, tugs at your heartstrings, and really makes you miss your dog. It's clear and sounds great on radio. No chorus effect, no auto-tune. Suck it, Nashville.

Yo-Yo Ma is way way way closer to the best cellist in the world than Garth Brooks is to the best singer, guitarist or songwriter in the world.

But that doesn't really matter, does it?  

but no, it doesn't really matter, no

10 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

I mean... there's a couple of pieces he's okay with, but nothing where it's really like, "Ok, wow, that's good, I want to hear that again." And most of the time it's like trying to listen to a lounge act cover The Police.

OK, you're making it sound like he's the Michael Buble of string instruments.  He's a ways up from there, and Garth really isn't as a player/singer/writer.  Ma is pretty well renowned for his unconventional style that still allows him to play at a high level.

Anyway, not the point of the thread, I get your angle.

Piling on the "Garth is a good guy" train.

A friend of mine here in north Iowa actually went to OK State in the 80's when Garth was there.  They worked together at the same bar and became friends.  Obviously they aren't calling each other up every week, but my buddy actually has his number, stays in touch, and Garth invites him back stage any time my friend goes to see him live (every couple of years or so).  It would be so easy for him to just completely be out of touch and big time an old college buddy, but it's not the case at all.

• Hook 'Em 9

28 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

educate yourself you philistine

Wait, so you are trying to double down with Rick fucking Beato? I'm not sure paint chips adequately explains this. Or that you know what the word philistine means.

23 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Is it odd that I have no clue who John Rich is?  

Just means you weren't listening to country radio from 2005-2007ish, and stayed away from places that feature those people later on. Or weren't big into Lonestar in the 1990's. (I'll always stand by No News as one of the top country bangers from that decade.)

15 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Just means you weren't listening to country radio from 2005-2007ish, and stayed away from places that feature those people later on. Or weren't big into Lonestar in the 1990's. (I'll always stand by No News as one of the top country bangers from that decade.)

John Rich was in Lonestar? I did not know that.

52 minutes ago, G650 said:

Wait, so you are trying to double down with Rick fucking Beato? I'm not sure paint chips adequately explains this. Or that you know what the word philistine means.

I trust Rick's opinion, and my own, before I trust yours. And I know exactly what a "philistine" is. I even looked it up. Your username was listed among the examples.

47 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Is it odd that I have no clue who John Rich is?  

No. No, it is not.

6 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Imagine being in college at a Midwestern ag school in the mid Aughts.

"Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)" was fucking inescapable. 

In the world of pop country, that song was one of the less offensive ones.  It's not good, but I did laugh at the lyrical hook.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

In the world of pop country, that song was one of the less offensive ones.  It's not good, but I did laugh at the lyrical hook.

Yeah, there's worse songs, but I remember being at house parties and hearing it 5-6 during the course of the same party.  Every guy in a cowboy hat with a giant belt buckle was just sure they were going to get laid if you played it loud enough around enough chicks.