2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, but that isn't happening. I would be happy to just get 1 back and that's probably a long shot. 

But I think we have a real shot of getting a lot of our lineup back. Powell, Brown, Thomas, O'Dowd, and Flores I think will all be back. I also really like the potential of the bullpen with Harrison returning from injury. With Morehouse, Harrison, Tole, Hurley, Whitehead, and Mercer (really good add from the portal) I think there's a lot of potential there. 

What we need is starting pitching. Maybe 1 of Gordon or LBJ returns. But we need to be dropping some money on 1 or 2 of these stud starters in the portal because I think the lineup and bullpen will be good next season. 

Yeah it’s a long shot but weirder things have happened. Oddly LBJ seems like he’s more pro bound than Gordon but we’ll see 

Yeah, got a feeling Powell and brown will be back.  Galvan and that stud catcher coming in should make the catcher spot safe. Feel like O’Dowd is gonna hit double digit homers with a .290-.310 average next year. Looking forward to Galvan and Flores getting a year in the S&C program. Basically we should be salty as fuck next year  

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Yeah it’s a long shot but weirder things have happened. Oddly LBJ seems like he’s more pro bound than Gordon but we’ll see 

Yeah, got a feeling Powell and brown will be back.  Galvan and that stud catcher coming in should make the catcher spot safe. Feel like O’Dowd is gonna hit double digit homers with a .290-.310 average next year. Looking forward to Galvan and Flores getting a year in the S&C program. Basically we should be salty as fuck next year  

Almost everyone on the coaching staff is following Peebles. He's arguably the top player in the portal. 

He should be at the top of the list of somebody we try to money whip. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Almost everyone on the coaching staff is following Peebles. He's arguably the top player in the portal. 

He should be at the top of the list of somebody we try to money whip. 

Also it’s about time some freshman pitchers pan out for us. seems like it’s been since the Parker French, Dillon peters, John Curtiss days since we’ve had elite freshman pitchers. I guess you can throw Connor Mayes in there but the rest of his career diminishes that 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Leonardo Dicaprio Calvin Candie GIF

If Peebles shows any ability to play behind the plate he's going to be a top 10 pick. Kid is a stud. As a hitter, I think he has more upside than White who was the top hitting transfer last year. 

These are the type transfers that take you from really good to potentially winning it all. 

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If Peebles shows any ability to play behind the plate he's going to be a top 10 pick. Kid is a stud. As a hitter, I think he has more upside than White who was the top hitting transfer last year. 

These are the type transfers that take you from really good to potentially winning it all. 

Sign me the fuck up. Any chance GG comes back? I’d love to have him back, obviously 

The feeling with Guillemette is he would prefer to go pro but has no problem returning if his number in the draft isn't met.

He has some questions defensively and I bet MLB teams will wonder how his bat plays against higher velo. He really seemed to run out of gas at the end of this season.

Edited by Hookem2147

48 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The feeling with Guillemette is he would prefer to go pro but has no problem returning if his number in the draft isn't met.

He has some questions defensively and I bet MLB teams will wonder how his bat plays against higher velo. He really seemed to run out of gas at the end of this season.

I am not getting my hopes up on Garrett or Zane.  Maybe something changes, but that was the vibe I got at the end of the season.

1 minute ago, cochamps said:

I am not getting my hopes up on Garrett or Zane.  Maybe something changes, but that was the vibe I got at the end of the season.

Probably a coinflip at best on both. Morehouse will be an interesting one. Throws 94-96 right now out of the pen with a pretty high effort delivery. But he is lanky and has the frame to pack on some more weight so I bet he still might have some velo left in the tank down the road. Even if he is drafted outside the top 10 rounds it wouldn't surprise me if he signed for the min (125k) to get started on his pro career. The path that Jared Southard chose last year. These guys who are juniors give up all leverage if they return.

Out of all the position players, I would definitely feel most confident in Powell returning.

2 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Probably a coinflip at best on both. Morehouse will be an interesting one. Throws 94-96 right now out of the pen with a pretty high effort delivery. But he is lanky and has the frame to pack on some more weight so I bet he still might have some velo left in the tank down the road. Even if he is drafted outside the top 10 rounds it wouldn't surprise me if he signed for the min (125k) to get started on his pro career. The path that Jared Southard chose last year. These guys who are juniors give up all leverage if they return.

Out of all the position players, I would definitely feel most confident in Powell returning.

Conversations I overheard indicate both will be gone.  Things can change (especially draft position), but I expect both to be gone. Both being Guillmette and Morehouse.

Edited by cochamps
  • Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, cochamps said:

Conversations I overheard indicate both will be gone.  Things can change (especially draft position), but I expect both to be gone. Both being Guillmette and Morehouse.

Not surprising. I got no issues with guys going to pursue their dreams for a six figure signing bonus as long as their desire has been communicated to the coaching staff. Same thing for HS guys deciding to sign. This won't be as big of an issue this year because the portal closes after the MLB draft is complete, but you just don't want to be taken by surprise when a dude decides to turn pro or else you may be left in a tight spot.

37 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Plugged in baseball poster on OB said OU received a big baseball donation this month towards NIL that should make them competitive. Said they likely lead for Tolle (two-way guy from Wichita State) right now.

@ChiTownDoc is doing this just to piss us off, isn’t he?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Is the divide between the haves and have nots going to be greater in baseball than other sport?

Yes. Because way less schools truly care about baseball. It’s not a money maker for 90% of schools. It will be SEC schools + Florida State + Miami and maybe 3 or 4 others.

I think we are already seeing what baseball is going to become on the west coast. Which is probably a good thing for us. Even Stanford may be in trouble because the built in advantages they had are going to slowly go away with NIL.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Expecting him to be on the Horton track was highly optimistic and he's still well within a normal recovery window. Even so, the whole thing just blows. He passed up on millions to wear orange and his draft value looks to be tanking with only 2 full starts here. The Tennessee appearance will always be legendary and a top UT baseball game I've ever been to

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Expecting him to be on the Horton track was highly optimistic and he's still well within a normal recovery window. Even so, the whole thing just blows. He passed up on millions to wear orange and his draft value looks to be tanking with only 2 full starts here. The Tennessee appearance will always be legendary and a top UT baseball game I've ever been to

Yep.

He probably lost a little value trying to come back and prove he was his old self, but he has much more to lose next year if he comes back than he does to gain. He is probably still a top 100-150 pick next month even with what he’s shown the last few months and the surgery is a legitimate excuse. But it won’t be an excuse 12 months from now so he needs to cash in.

Edited by Hookem2147

Yes. Because way less schools truly care about baseball. It’s not a money maker for 90% of schools. It will be SEC schools + Florida State + Miami and maybe 3 or 4 others.
I think we are already seeing what baseball is going to become on the west coast. Which is probably a good thing for us. Even Stanford may be in trouble because the built in advantages they had are going to slowly go away with NIL.

It’ll be interesting. I don’t particularly like the sound of that. Also curious if say Ohio State wakes up and thinks, we can throw money to bring in talent we never have or if they just say screw it, more money for football.

That Sam Garewal pitcher from Northwestern is playing on the same summer league team as Galvan, Belyeu, Flores. 

9 strikeouts in 7 innings pitched. He has some serious swing and miss stuff. His ERA wasn't spectacular in his FR year but I think he's going to be really good in another year. The stuff is there. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

There are 2 other schools in the ACC that I can see it being a revenue sport for. Clemson and Wake Forest if they can keep close to their current form will be able to. 

Texas is going to be sitting in a geographic sweet spot in the SEC being that bridge from west coast to east. USC and UCLA will both take hits moving to the B1G. The other Pac poses Arizona, Arizona State, Stanford, and Oregon State will take hits from the diminished Pac.

Have to be ready to take advantage come 2025 in baseball. Glad the Texas One Fund is already being progressive now so hopefully it’s humming for when we make the jump to the SEC

7 minutes ago, chase25 said:

There are 2 other schools in the ACC that I can see it being a revenue sport for. Clemson and Wake Forest if they can keep close to their current form will be able to. 

Texas is going to be sitting in a geographic sweet spot in the SEC being that bridge from west coast to east. USC and UCLA will both take hits moving to the B1G. The other Pac poses Arizona, Arizona State, Stanford, and Oregon State will take hits from the diminished Pac.

Have to be ready to take advantage come 2025 in baseball. Glad the Texas One Fund is already being progressive now so hopefully it’s humming for when we make the jump to the SEC

Chill, we’re gonna walk into the SEC and show them who’s boss

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

The Burns thing has LSU written all over it but I’m sure we will at least try.

I’d be surprised if Burns returned to Tennessee. I don’t think he liked the mid-year move to the bullpen.

Maybe it’s football (or me imagining all of it) but isn’t there a sit one year for intra conference, specifically the SEC, rule?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Maybe it’s football (or me imagining all of it) but isn’t there a sit one year for intra conference, specifically the SEC, rule?

They changed that rule in 2021.  Athletes can now transfer in conference without sitting out.

• Rage+1 1

On 6/23/2023 at 1:17 AM, Fletch said:

Also it’s about time some freshman pitchers pan out for us. seems like it’s been since the Parker French, Dillon peters, John Curtiss days since we’ve had elite freshman pitchers. I guess you can throw Connor Mayes in there but the rest of his career diminishes that 

2021? Nixon, Witt and Hanson? Almost all of our post-season wins and saves that season were from these guys. Pretty sure they were all Freshmen All-Americans that season too.

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

2021? Nixon, Witt and Hanson? Almost all of our post-season wins and saves that season were from these guys. Pretty sure they were all Freshmen All-Americans that season too.

Hansen was a Horn in 2020.  And as mentioned above, the rest of the story on the other two guys wasn't exactly what anyone was hoping for.

2 hours ago, cochamps said:

Hansen was a Horn in 2020.  And as mentioned above, the rest of the story on the other two guys wasn't exactly what anyone was hoping for.

That wasn’t his point. He was asking for elite freshmen pitching.

Hanson was a Freshman All American in 2021. I guess COVID.

TCU is apparently going to be heavily involved with Burns. I mentioned it about a week ago but they have several pretty big donors who are supposedly backing a lot of their baseball NIL. I was reading something today that reminded me that Anthony Silva was supposed to be a top 5 round MLB draft pick last summer and they somehow got him to withdraw from the draft and tell teams he wouldn’t sign. Type of draft luck we never seem to have.

I’m sure the usual suspects will be involved with Burns too.

Edited by Hookem2147

50 minutes ago, Balcones said:

That wasn’t his point. He was asking for elite freshmen pitching.

Hanson was a Freshman All American in 2021. I guess COVID.

Pete was lkely a redshirt freshman as he had at least 3 starts in 2020, hence he was drafted in 2022.

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

was reading something today that reminded me that Anthony Silva was supposed to be a top 5 round MLB draft pick last summer and they somehow got him to withdraw from the draft and tell teams he wouldn’t sign. Type of draft luck we never seem to have.

They seem to do this at least once a year.

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't think Burns is Skenes. He has the stuff but hasn't really put it together which is why Tennessee yanked him from the rotation this year. 

Skenes wasn’t Skenes until this year. His last year at Air Force he was topping out at 95. Burns had a phenomenal Freshman year, struggled a little bit this year but that was true of pitching across the board for the most part. Biggest thing he struggled with was keeping the ball in the park. Allowed 10 HRs in 72 IP, still coupled that with 114 Ks to just 22 walks.

He is the best pitcher in the portal.