Gov. Newsom on Hannity

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

As we learned with Hillary, right wing talking points are effective in winning elections.  There were a ton of independents and even Democrats who believed, or at least half-believed, the absurd bullshit the right wing nutcases had been saying for years about Clinton.  There are more who believe that California is failing.  Shit, there was an article in the Atlantic about SF being a failed state.  Citing reality or a nuanced understanding of reality doesn't really matter.  It would be really hard to work through those talking points in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Georgia.   

But, California is extremely productive for fundraising.  With his connections, he would build a massive war chest in the primaries. 

Yes, right wing talking points can be effective because they're overly simplistic and they count on the other side not being able to counter act them with similarly simple talking points.  Newsome knocked it out of the park by not following standard Dem answers.  Hence why Newsome saying that other countries have worse inflation rate so how is that Biden's fault if not demonstrating how well Biden is doing.  Or that Biden has created more jobs than the last 3 GOP presidents combined. Or that even if Biden's job creation is a post-COVID bump why is the unemployment rate at a historic low?

You can't reply with a doctorate level thesis about why the GOP speaker is wrong. Have a few canned sentences that even a moron can understand.  When you make a point, don't let them switch to another topic. Force them to reply to your response.  Newsom made Hannity look like a 1st grader.

As far as Newsom on the big stage, he will have to address the question on "do you want America to be California."  That GOP message will play in swing states. He will need to show how CA is in better than GA, AZ, WI, MI or PA. You can't be defensive. Instead he would need to stand proud of CA. 

EDIT: I think a Dem CA governor could be elected President. Newsom's biggest problem is that he was the SF mayor. That's different since even liberal Dems struggle to explain SF.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

EDIT: I think a Dem CA governor could be elected President. Newsom's biggest problem is that he was the SF mayor. That's different since even liberal Dems struggle to explain SF.

Now that I think about it, that’s actually quite easy for his narrative (“SF politicians try to solve national problems with local tools, which is why I went to Sacramento…”), but yes I still don’t think there’s anything he can do to overcome the generalized right wing aversion to SF. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes, right wing talking points can be effective because they're overly simplistic and they count on the other side not being able to counter act them with similarly simple talking points.  Newsome knocked it out of the park by not following standard Dem answers.  Hence why Newsome saying that other countries have worse inflation rate so how is that Biden's fault if not demonstrating how well Biden is doing.  Or that Biden has created more jobs than the last 3 GOP presidents combined. Or that even if Biden's job creation is a post-COVID bump why is the unemployment rate at a historic low?

You can't reply with a doctorate level thesis about why the GOP speaker is wrong. Have a few canned sentences that even a moron can understand.  When you make a point, don't let them switch to another topic. Force them to reply to your response.  Newsom made Hannity look like a 1st grader.

As far as Newsom on the big stage, he will have to address the question on "do you want America to be California."  That GOP message will play in swing states. He will need to show how CA is in better than GA, AZ, WI, MI or PA. You can't be defensive. Instead he would need to stand proud of CA. 

I think you are still giving people way too much credit for tracking anything.  "My Aunt Buela went to LA to be on the Price is Right, and she said there was a homeless guy pissing on a toddler.  A toddler!  Ain't no way I want that for America!"  That's the level of political discourse in America.  

Great, he compared our inflation rate against the UK.  Do you think Hannity's audience believes the UK (or any European country) is the baseline?  The baseline is whatever they think it should be.  

• 8 months later...

Not a great look for Newsom re: potential cronyism: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-28/panera-bread-exempt-from-california-s-minimum-wage-increase-for-fast-food-worker

Here’s a strong case for staying friends with people from high school: California Gov. Gavin Newsom may have pushed for Panera Bread to get an exemption to the state’s new $20 minimum wage law because of a long-standing relationship (and donorship) with fast-food restaurateur Greg Flynn, according to Bloomberg.

Jog your memory: Last year, Newsom signed a law to raise the minimum wage for the state’s fast-food workers from $16 to $20/hour starting this April. But there was one mystifying exemption: fast-food chains that sell bread as a standalone item—like Panera.

Newsom said the oddly specific rule came about due to “the sausage-making” of politics, but that sausage might have been wrapped in puff pastry.

Per Bloomberg:

Flynn owns 24 Panera Bread locations in California.

Flynn and Newsom attended the same high school, where they overlapped for one year. Flynn has also donated at least $164k to Newsom’s political campaigns.

Flynn said that he played no role in creating the bread exemption, and Panera Bread didn’t respond to Bloomberg’s request for comment.

Bottom line: Industry experts say Panera Bread will probably still have to increase wages to compete with the chains that are offering more money to workers. Some of the Panera Bread locations owned by Flynn recently posted job openings with $20 hourly pay.

Probably cronyism of some sort but overlapping at high school one year means one was a freshman and one was a senior. It's more likely they never had a single conversation than it is that they were friends. I don't doubt that stupid exception means somebody was bought off but that's pretty flimsy evidence on its own. 

• Hook 'Em 1

California Gov. Gavin Newsom may have pushed for Panera Bread to get an exemption to the state’s new $20 minimum wage law because of a long-standing relationship (and donorship) with fast-food restaurateur Greg Flynn, according to Bloomberg.

Is there any evidence of this other than the existence of the law, which also impacts hundreds of other businesses? 

Is there even any evidence that he pushed for this carve-out at all? 

If this is true, it has to be one of the lamest political scandals of all time. Trying to help Panera Bread?!? If you're going to get caught in a corruption scandal, at least make sure it involves high-end hookers on a private beach or something like that. Not over-priced, bland salads in suburban strip mall hells.

Edited by HornOnTheBayou
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Did Newsome write the legislation? Unless California has a line-item veto, I don't see how you blame him alone.  

This. If cronyism happened it was with the legislature. And for the record is fully compliant with the republican ethos of "I got mine" and "fuck your feelings."

• Fuck Around and Find Out 2

5 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
35 minutes ago, Red Five said:
Biggest political scandal in recent memory, IMO.

What if some people put a spicy brown or Dijon mustard on their panera bread? Did you think about how horrific that would be?

if it's Bijan mustard they got my vote.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

is this what right-wing propaganda channels want us to clutch our pearls about today? give me a fucking break

Bloomberg. Right wing propaganda channel, ladies and gentlefolk.