Gov. Newsom on Hannity

Gil Bang

Newsom is raising my eyebrows. The clips of that interview certainly get my attention. He also rolled out a 28th amendment idea to combat guns. 

I think he still has a long road to plow given the clips we all see of California homelessness, organized theft rings, and sky-high living expenses, but I love the fight.

Newsom is raising my eyebrows. The clips of that interview certainly get my attention. He also rolled out a 28th amendment idea to combat guns. 
I think he still has a long road to plow given the clips we all see of California homelessness, organized theft rings, and sky-high living expenses, but I love the fight.
He could be the bulldog the Dems send out to fight these fights. Unfortunately, I suspect he wants to be the guy in the office more than the guy helping the other guy (or gal) get into the office.

1 hour ago, tchookem said:
2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

He could be the bulldog the Dems send out to fight these fights. Unfortunately, I suspect he wants to be the guy in the office more than the guy helping the other guy (or gal) get into the office.

I would love to see a Newsom/Mayor Pete ticket, or the other way around.  Are we forever going to see female VP candidates now though?  

• Hook 'Em 3

I would love to see a Newsom/Mayor Pete ticket, or the other way around.  Are we forever going to see female VP candidates now though?  
Mayor Pete was exactly the guy I had in mind. I don't know that Newsom needs to be on a ticket, I think much more effective being the guy making the rounds on tv.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I kind of dismissed Newsom as a national contender years ago and not really sure why.  He has the resume, demeanor, age, looks, etc. to be a very formidable candidate.  Agree that this interaction piqued my interest.
Not going to lie... having a history with this individual doesn't help. Shows questionable decision making skills. Kimberly_Guilfoyle_(48940918381)_(cropped).jpg
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

32 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

No. Someone like Gretchen Whitmer is a legit top of the ticket prospect. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I kind of dismissed Newsom as a national contender years ago and not really sure why.  He has the resume, demeanor, age, looks, etc. to be a very formidable candidate.  Agree that this interaction piqued my interest.

I think there are some real serious issues with how much of the country sees California.

Unaffordable, huge homeless issue, high regulation/taxes, and organized theft rings. Stuff like Whole Foods closing after a year in SF and Target/Walgreens locking up merchandise are not good looks at all.

I think he'd get eaten up in an election with those issues.

11 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Going to be honest, it sounds like you're just regurgitating right wing talking points. Organized theft rings? High Taxes? 

Most of the Democratic party base supports raising taxes on the wealthy to fund various programs. But I don't know, maybe the Dems can't win a national election unless they nominate a boring centrist who ignores the progressive wing of the party. Who do you recommend that carries no baggage and has policy positions that mirror the Dems from the 90's?

Amazingly, the GOP is going to nominate someone with multiple criminal indictments, but the CA governor is too extreme for most voters.

California: Who Pays? 6th Edition – ITEPMost Texans Pay More In Taxes Than Californians - Reform Austin

This. Not to mention, if you look at the urban areas in California, the cost of living and taxes and such are well worth it to a lot of people. One of the most beautiful parts of the entire country. Wildfires…suck. No getting around that one. 

• Hook 'Em 3

I think the elite coastal liberal douchebag image is going to be hard to shake in a general election, fair or not (I don’t follow CA politics closely enough to know if it is).
  • Hook 'Em 2

Any of you realty people know the average rent in California if you exclude San Francisco, San Diego, and Los Angeles? Curious

I mean CA is 40mm people and those markets are like 30mm.

You’re basically talking Sacramento (in the ballpark of an Austin though I think maybe slightly cheaper at this point). Beyond that it’s expensive coastal/mountain towns, the Central Valley - which is right at the national average COL but like living in a cluster of Amarillos with terrible air quality -and some real backwoods middle of nowhere stuff.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Beyond that it’s expensive coastal/mountain towns, the Central Valley - which is right at the national average COL but like living in a cluster of Amarillos with terrible air quality -and some real backwoods middle of nowhere stuff.

I never knew this until I drove through it.  Fuck me.  Just awful.

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I never knew this until I drove through it.  Fuck me.  Just awful.

Even as you drive north, past wine country on the way up to the Oregon border... it's still really beautiful. But also some really depressing dead/dying towns. Where hearing banjos playing in the background seems appropriate. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I mean CA is 40mm people and those markets are like 30mm.

You’re basically talking Sacramento (in the ballpark of an Austin though I think maybe slightly cheaper at this point). Beyond that it’s expensive coastal/mountain towns, the Central Valley - which is right at the national average COL but like living in a cluster of Amarillos with terrible air quality -and some real backwoods middle of nowhere stuff.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think there are some real serious issues with how much of the country sees California.

Unaffordable, huge homeless issue, high regulation/taxes, and organized theft rings. Stuff like Whole Foods closing after a year in SF and Target/Walgreens locking up merchandise are not good looks at all.

What Foosters said.  

You need to think carefully about what the state does v. what a city is responsible for v. what private industry does. 

6 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Any of you realty people know the average rent in California if you exclude San Francisco, San Diego, and Los Angeles? Curious

I work for a rental company. I’m at our Pasadena office for the week, rentals in our SoCal market go from 2200-3800. Rentals in DFW go from 1900-3000, mostly suburbs

• Drool 1

Even as you drive north, past wine country on the way up to the Oregon border... it's still really beautiful. But also some really depressing dead/dying towns. Where hearing banjos playing in the background seems appropriate. 
Lost coast is really affordable and gorgeous with very linited scattered pockets of hopelessness, decline meth/opiods. No different than Texas coast of other places in my experience, and in some ways better people in the small towns. SF is really bad for petty crime and theft right now but I grew up in Houston in the 80s. To me it's overblown. Homeless issue is out of hand, but if I was homeless anywhere in the US I'd take free bus fair to Cali for the weather. Urban camping paradise.

as someone who used to be married to crazy and then followed up that up with a double dip cone of crazy of a long-term gf (escaped that one too, thankfully), let he who hasn't fallen for crazy be the first to cast the first stone. that dgaf sex tho
Are you me?
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Born to Run said:
7 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:
as someone who used to be married to crazy and then followed up that up with a double dip cone of crazy of a long-term gf (escaped that one too, thankfully), let he who hasn't fallen for crazy be the first to cast the first stone. that dgaf sex tho

Are you me?

We’re all Spartacus, buddy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

as someone who used to be married to crazy and then followed up that up with a double dip cone of crazy of a long-term gf (escaped that one too, thankfully), let he who hasn't fallen for crazy be the first to cast the first stone. 

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

Newsom owned Hannity, who wasn’t prepared for someone to defend Biden. Dems shouldn’t be defensive when someone attacks Biden or Dem policies. Be on the offensive when the right attacks.

I still stand behind my belief that the US has never been stronger than today. Not perfect by any means but the best overall it has ever been. 

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Newsom owned Hannity, who wasn’t prepared for someone to defend Biden. Dems shouldn’t be defensive when someone attacks Biden or Dem policies. Be on the offensive when the right attacks.

I still stand behind my belief that the US has never been stronger than today. Not perfect by any means but the best overall it has ever been. 

Half of America wants to eat the other half and are flirting with or outright fascists, rights folks had just 10 years ago are being stripped away, and you think we’re stronger than we’ve ever been? Well ok. Half of America is fine that a president commits crimes and puts self over country. I’ll have what you’re having. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

IMG_5754.gif.03bfa29a6d74067351cd2cef36a4b19a.gif

18 hours ago, Foosters said:

Going to be honest, it sounds like you're just regurgitating right wing talking points. Organized theft rings? High Taxes? 

As we learned with Hillary, right wing talking points are effective in winning elections.  There were a ton of independents and even Democrats who believed, or at least half-believed, the absurd bullshit the right wing nutcases had been saying for years about Clinton.  There are more who believe that California is failing.  Shit, there was an article in the Atlantic about SF being a failed state.  Citing reality or a nuanced understanding of reality doesn't really matter.  It would be really hard to work through those talking points in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Georgia.   

But, California is extremely productive for fundraising.  With his connections, he would build a massive war chest in the primaries. 

7 hours ago, Born to Run said:
16 hours ago, YChang said:

Lost coast is really affordable and gorgeous with very linited scattered pockets of hopelessness, decline meth/opiods. No different than Texas coast of other places in my experience, and in some ways better people in the small towns. SF is really bad for petty crime and theft right now but I grew up in Houston in the 80s. To me it's overblown. Homeless issue is out of hand, but if I was homeless anywhere in the US I'd take free bus fair to Cali for the weather. Urban camping paradise.

I lived out in the bay area for nearly 10 years. I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said. I just remember my first roadtrip up there shattering my myth of everything is perfect in the state. But some of those old lumber towns….yech. 

Edited by YChang

1 hour ago, YChang said:

I lived out in the bay area for nearly 10 years. I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said. I just remember my first roadtrip up there shattering my myth of everything is perfect in the state. But some of those old lumber towns….yech. 

I hiked 300 miles through southern inland california this spring.  I found some really nice little towns and some just god awful methy shit holes.  

• Hook 'Em 1