KY Gold - and we aren't talking about Bourbon, or Jelly

AUS-97HORN

Kentucky Man finds 700 Civil War-ear gold coins on his farm

RICHMOND, Ky. (LEX 18) — More than 700 rare gold Civil War-era coins were found somewhere in the Bluegrass. The coins date back to between 1850 and 1862. It's being called "The Great Kentucky Hoard." No one knows where or who found them. In Richmond, the owner of Collectors Coins and Jewelry, Alan Barnett, says it's an amazing find.

He says, "I’ve heard about probably what everybody else has heard. A guy was plowing his field, cornfield, and he happened upon...I guess he looked back and saw a gold coin laying there and investigated and he found a whole bunch of them."

"You learn history, you learn economics, I mean you learn art, you just learn the people of the time, how they save coins — it's just exciting,” says Barnett.

Experts explain that the more than 700 coins that were found were traded at the face value of a dollar or up to $20 in some cases during that time period. Now, those coins are valued at around $2 million. They explain that this is a rare find in American history.

Andrew Salzberg is the executive vice president of Certified Collectibles Group — which is a part of NGC — a third-party grading company. They have authenticated and graded the coins. He says, "I would say this is probably one of the most significant finds of U.S. rarities that are were found buried in the ground of the last 50 years or so."

Although they aren't sure, considering Kentucky’s divided history during the Civil War, fighting on both sides, they believe the money was buried as a result of that conflict.

Salzberg says, "There was probably the fear that those coins could be taken from them in some way. So, what’s the best way to hide coins...or wealth for that matter and have no one know where it is to bury them in the ground."

Barnett says anyone who acquires coins as a part of this hoard will have a rare piece of American history. Alan says the things that make these coins unique are endless.

c1.jpeg

c3-002.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

If this is similar to shipwreck finds, you can expect every scratched-up gold coin that dealer had sitting in a safe to end up in a "Great Kentucky Hoard" plastic case, with a Great Kentucky price mark-up to go with it.

Yes, but will Chuck Woolery and JJ Walker be vouching for them?  Or will they get the top stamp of approval from Tom Selleck?   

Until this happens, there is no way in shit I am reverse mortgaging my home to buy a few.  

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, BamaATL said:

Yes, but will Chuck Woolery and JJ Walker be vouching for them?  Or will they get the top stamp of approval from Tom Selleck?   

Until this happens, there is no way in shit I am reverse mortgaging my home to buy a few.  

GIF season 7 episode 5 7x05 - animated GIF on GIFER

• Drool 1

Yep. 
The Atocha discovery team even melted some of the silver bullion and put a gram or two into newly minted medallions at marked up prices, not to mention the actual Pieces of Eight Pillar Dollars that were made into pendants and sold for many times their non-shipwreck numismatic value.

Luckily I had my Dad’s old collection to pick one out for Mrs. Brat’s jewelry box. 
Didn’t cost anything except for the $100 custom made bezel. 😅

F7F63EE0-57E3-4A21-8D93-278AF8EEE1E6.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

14 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

If this is similar to shipwreck finds, you can expect every scratched-up gold coin that dealer had sitting in a safe to end up in a "Great Kentucky Hoard" plastic case, with a Great Kentucky price mark-up to go with it.

The DB Cooper money that was found scoffs at your shipwreck markups.

• Drool 1

2 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Cracks me up how they sell gold to non-gold buyers. Get our gold-buying guide and sign up for coins we buy for 400 bucks and sell to you for 1200 because they are "collectible!"

(I mean, Dude, if you want gold, I can get you gold. I can get you gold by 3:30.)

Imagine somebody selling potatoes and offering you a "potato buying guide," then they go grab a sack from the grocery store and triple-charge to deliver them. Hmmm-- sounds like multiple food delivery apps...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Back to the idea of treasure hoards, I bet there are plenty still out there, from that time of bank failures and relatively short lifespans. Even just a few silver half-dollars in a "fence post bank," and the dude who buried them gets a heart attack or strokes out or gets a bad case of the fever, without telling anybody because hell he's gonna get better, and it's all there until the oceans rise again.

12 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Back to the idea of treasure hoards, I bet there are plenty still out there, from that time of bank failures and relatively short lifespans. Even just a few silver half-dollars in a "fence post bank," and the dude who buried them gets a heart attack or strokes out or gets a bad case of the fever, without telling anybody because hell he's gonna get better, and it's all there until the oceans rise again.

Cousin Eddie says hey!

2A0AA45C-05E5-4671-A85E-E6868CEC4FFD.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

If you want to dive into in your gold, you just grind it up into gold dust and mix it into the rubber they make those soft fishing lure worms out of. Then you can roll around nekkit in a tub full of those gold-infused rubber fishing lures, just like you do with regular ones.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

If you want to dive into in your gold, you just grind it up into gold dust and mix it into the rubber they make those soft fishing lure worms out of. Then you can roll around nekkit in a tub full of those gold-infused rubber fishing lures, just like you do with regular ones.

You've been a ponderin' on this little plan for a while, haven't you?

• Drool 1

Not that I've ever found a sack of gold coins anywhere, but if I did, and found it on my land, I would announce that I "found" it in another state, in a manner unconnected to my habits and activities.  I don't need assholes digging up my place and tearing my stuff up looking for another bag.

Hmm.  Maybe I would let on like I found it on my ex sister in law's place.  Not come out and say it, just an implication here and there.  She would be delighted to have the visitors, I'm sure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

48 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Not that I've ever found a sack of gold coins anywhere, but if I did, and found it on my land, I would announce that I "found" it in another state, in a manner unconnected to my habits and activities.  I don't need assholes digging up my place and tearing my stuff up looking for another bag.

Hmm.  Maybe I would let on like I found it on my ex sister in law's place.  Not come out and say it, just an implication here and there.  She would be delighted to have the visitors, I'm sure.

I figured if I found buried gold coins I was just gonna go with "my Grandaddy gave it to me when I was little," (he passed away when I was a cub scout) but on second thought that would just bring every third-cousin twice-removed out of the woodwork wanting to be in my Elvis entourage and claiming part was supposed to go to their grandaddy not mine.

So honestly if I went out back in 15 minutes and dug up a can of non-rare gold coins, I'd like to think I'd keep my mouth shut. Coins? What coins? There are at least 4 places in this county where I can discretely sell a few small gold coins each month.

It'd be a potential headache if the things had historical value. My state has archeological laws as stiff as Egypt's.

Come to think of it, there actually is buried gold on our family land. When my Mom was a kid she was playing with my Gramama's class ring, pretending to "bury pirate treasure" out behind the house. A short while later my Grandad put in a concrete slab and built an electrical shop on top of where the ring was. So if you've got a jackhammer and a month to kill, you might find a $100 worth of class ring out there.

• Like 1