So how will Trump be viewed by US history 50 years from now?

horn4life

50 years from now how will Trump be viewed by history?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. 50 years from now...

• History will view Trump as the single biggest threat to Democracy in all of US history!
    • History will view Trump as a near God-like figure as Barron Trumps takes over from Donald Trump Jr. as President of the United states, with 90% of the vote according to Fox News.
    • Not really sure what any other choices might be...

While I am hopeful for our Democracy to survive, I am also fearful. I see as at a point where there is either going to be a survival of the rule of law, or there will not be.  Anyone have any scenarios?  I have no doubt that the GOP would be willing to destroy the rule of law absolutely for political power.  Never at any other point in history have I personally assumed that the member of ANY political party in our country. There is no bottom for today's elected GOP federal officials, they are corrupt and absolutely so.  Power is now more important than country.

Please, please, please!  Convince me my bleak opinion of how US history will be taught in 2073 is incorrect?  Hell the bad news is this post may actually my family in jeopardy if option #2 is the way it goes.  That's some scary shit my friends.

19 minutes ago, horn4life said:

While I am hopeful for our Democracy to survive, I am also fearful. I see as at a point where there is either going to be a survival of the rule of law, or there will not be.  Anyone have any scenarios?  I have no doubt that the GOP would be willing to destroy the rule of law absolutely for political power.  Never at any other point in history have I personally assumed that the member of ANY political party in our country. There is no bottom for today's elected GOP federal officials, they are corrupt and absolutely so.  Power is now more important than country.

Please, please, please!  Convince me my bleak opinion of how US history will be taught in 2073 is incorrect?  Hell the bad news is this post may actually my family in jeopardy if option #2 is the way it goes.  That's some scary shit my friends.

No one knows how this is going to play out. In fact, I predict there will be some black swan that happens that causes it to drag on even longer (E.g. Biden has a health issue or scandal, some issue of misconduct by the prosecutors.) Trump just seems to have a teflon life.

I do think that the indictments and legal issues -- albeit delayed in my opinion -- already serve as a deterrent for others. Trump is just built different. No normal person would want to put up with all that shit.

And what you have with him is really a perfect storm. I struggle to see anyone else doing what he has done and people liking it. Notice how DeSantis tries it and no one likes him? Ted Cruz does some of it and no one likes him either. Trump is charismatic. Like it or not, he is a political messaging genius. 

All that said, I think that over time democracy wins out. I think people vote for Trump because they don't want to vote Democrat, but they also see his shit. And he continues to go further off the deep end. I think people are worn out by it. Notice how no one came to the rallies he called for in Manhattan when he was arraigned? 

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Like it or not, he is a political messaging genius. 

I think most people didn't realize how many abject dumb fucks there were in this country.  The way he lies is so in your face and obvious that no one had ever tried it because they assumed people were smart enough to see through it.  They were wrong.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

I think that it will be an amalgamation of the first two choices.  The country will remain split enough that the fascism is an ever present threat, but that we will totter along as a democracy, barely holding off the fascists.  Until everyone gets tired and just says, "Fuck it.  The fascists can have it."

Propaganda works.  If you continually tell a lie, and can get news networks to repeat the lie, then you can convince wide swaths (especially uneducated and/or racists) that something is true that's a lie.  Largely because they want to believe that lie. Worked fantastically for Hitler for example if you are a student of history.

I will give you a great example.  Talk to ANY Republican and ask them what they liked about the Trump economy.  Then ask them specifically about Trump's job creation?  They will likely extoll his job creation, because Trump repeatedly said he was kicking ass.  Reality?  Is that Trump and the GOP added about $2 trillion in national debe to produce roughly 1.4 million fewer jobs than the economy he inherited.  Reality is the exact opposite of what they fervently and passionately believe. That's scary.

That is why I believe that if something catastrophic like Biden dying before the election, we could end up with Trump in power and a GOP willing to change any law to accommodate our dear leader.  I see no GOP resistance?  Do you?

Scary shit.  Especially when you listen to Fox News spewing endless lies about the legal system.  Simply to sell advertising, nothing more or less.

We live in a dangerous time!

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

As a god. Now let us pray:

SAD. LIKE A DOG. BIG MAN, STRONG MAN. SAD.

Big strong man with tears in his eyes and a dog straight out of central casting. 

Edited by Pods
  • Drool 1

Trump knew where he stood in 2015/16 with the shooting a guy on 5th avenue comment.  30-35% of our country prefer to harm others than help themselves or their family because they get more pleasure out of that than they do succeeding on their own. That’s never going to change. The issue is that Trump mined that in a way no one in the US has since, I dunno, ever? 

When he dies I think that group fragments a lot until the next person comes along.  Let’s just hope he dies soon.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm slowly starting to think the US won't be a thing come 2073. I fully believe the polarization of not only opinions, but also of facts, will only get worse, and in any case is unreversible, at least as long as Murdoch and his successors are poisoning the well of political discourse in this country. 

Murdoch is just one of the hydras of misinformation

You also now have right wing nutter billionaires like Elon buying a major communication platforms to control the message 

Not to mention modern day Limbaugh acolytes Rogan, Shapiro, Kirk, Kelly spewing white supremacy horseshit nonstop 

And grass roots organizations like Moms for Liberty infiltrating school boards. 

I don’t know what will be taught 50 years from now, or even if it’s about trump at all, but my gut says the “history” won’t be even remotely accurate or even based in reality. Winners write history books and the stupids seem to overwhelmingly have the advantage. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Rage+1 1