Hunting ‘23/‘24: Bag ‘em and Tag ‘em

1 hour ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Had a similar experience when I was a kid.  Maybe 11 or 12.  Over Christmas break.  Left Corpus super early with my dad and uncle to head to my uncle's lease outside of Falfurrias in time for the morning hunt.  I remember it being super foggy once we got south of town.  I'm guessing we were around Premont when we saw him.  My uncle slammed on the brakes.  We sat there for a good 30 seconds looking at this just absolute tank standing on the right shoulder.  Just a massive, typical 12 point probably 30 yards from the hood of the truck.  Had to be 26+" wide with 12+" G2s/G3s.  Maybe it was because I was tired.  Maybe it was the scenario.  Maybe it's 30+ years of embellished memories, but it was the biggest buck I've ever seen on the hoof in the wild.  By a wide margin.  

This occurred about a mile from 141/281 intersect, about 10 miles north of Premont.  Maybe a descendent that’s grown down additional kickers down the line.   I’d love to tell you we regularly see deer like that, but we top out with solid 140s/touching 150.  I mean we could feed 50k in protein and bump that up but we get some 5.5-6.5 140’s and 150 with some protein and light management.  Best way to put it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

This occurred about a mile from 141/281 intersect, about 10 miles north of Premont.  Maybe a descendent that’s grown down additional kickers down the line.   I’d love to tell you we regularly see deer like that, but we top out with solid 140s/touching 150.  I mean we could feed 50k in protein and bump that up but we get some 5.5-6.5 140’s and 150 with some protein and light management.  Best way to put it. 

I absolutely sympathize with that.  I hunted between George West and Orange Grove for almost 15 years.  1,400 low-fenced acres.  We did all we could to manage the herd.  Shot the right deer at the right age and protein fed.  We shot a few freaks and saw some trash here and there, but we just didn't have the genetics to get anything above 160.  Still miss that place, though.  I miss hunting in South Texas.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

I absolutely sympathize with that.  I hunted between George West and Orange Grove for almost 15 years.  1,400 low-fenced acres.  We did all we could to manage the herd.  Shot the right deer at the right age and protein fed.  We shot a few freaks and saw some trash here and there, but we just didn't have the genetics to get anything above 160.  Still miss that place, though.  I miss hunting in South Texas.  

Buddy just got onto a place in George West and was told by his oldtimer neighbor that the place would max around 150 for native genetics.  Sure enough they shot the biggest mature buck they had seen on cameras and it was 148.

Moral of the story is that oldtimers know some things about some things.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Going to La Pryor this coming weekend for an MLD meat hunt. We are planning on shooting about 15 deer or so between 3-4 of us. It’s a 26k acre low fence place a neighbor owns. CHIEF Jr. and he are pretty close friends. He borrows our Ranger sometimes when he has a house full of guests and wants to cruise around the neighborhood. 

We had my aunt’s 70th birthday a couple of weeks ago, and my cousin reminded me that his dad is turning 73, and his little brother, my other uncle, is 66, and won’t be able to hunt many more years without help. CHIEF Jr. could afford a spot on our Benjamin lease, but he doesn’t need to spend that kind of money. Also, the ranch won’t maintain the roads, and are in no hurry to replace broken water lines to the water troughs on the place. It is 3 miles to the nearest natural water source from my blind. It rained so much, and the roads are so bad you couldn’t even get around. 

We are going to see about getting something close in to home to accommodate work schedules and go a week to La Pryor every year to hunt monsters. It will be cheaper in the long run. Scraped up trucks, broken Rangers, and muddy trailers and blinds just isn’t fun. 

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
paragraphs
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Going to La Pryor this coming weekend for an MLD meat hunt. We are planning on shooting about 15 deer or so between 3-4 of us. It’s a 26k acre low fence place a neighbor owns. CHIEF Jr. and he are pretty close friends. He borrows our Ranger sometimes when he has a house full of guests and wants to cruise around the neighborhood. 

We had my aunt’s 70th birthday a couple of weeks ago, and my cousin reminded me that his dad is turning 73, and his little brother, my other uncle, is 66, and won’t be able to hunt many more years without help. CHIEF Jr. could afford a spot on our Benjamin lease, but he doesn’t need to spend that kind of money. Also, the ranch won’t maintain the roads, and are in no hurry to replace broken water lines to the water troughs on the place. It is 3 miles to the nearest natural water source from my blind. It rained so much, and the roads are so bad you couldn’t even get around. 

We are going to see about getting something close in to home to accommodate work schedules and go a week to La Pryor every year to hunt monsters. It will be cheaper in the long run. Scraped up trucks, broken Rangers, and muddy trailers and blinds just isn’t fun. 

CHIEF

That’s tough. I was just thinking about yalls place this weekend. 

• Like 1

Good family friends and a buddy of mine hvr a ranch (farmland really) at Cruz Calle west of Falfurrias. Spent lots of time down there since we were like 10 years old. Theyd plant sorghum milo and corn amongst other shit I cant remember. Had about a section of land. Argentina like dove hunts, all night rabbit hunts, hogs, coyotes, javis and the occasional deer that would show up got whacked. Rattlers to. Only thing that got a pass was a huge indigo wed see from time to time. His immediate family lived in Alice. Most of them were aggys. The annoying kind. The all the uncles and cousilibs were in the corp kind. Wed give each other shit all the time. With us horns always kicking their shit in on regular occassion. Was awesome. My buddy also had lots of family down there that would let us deer hunt back in the time when number of points and spread were the measuring stick. Not B&C inches like now. But everyone was happy as hell for you if you drew blood on a spike or doe or good buck. Man i miss those days, any who.. My buddy ended up going to Texas A&I in Kingsville. Man wed party all over down there from corpus to papa gallos in nuevo laredo. Good times.
Well the biggest deer ive ever seen in my life, my buddy (was driving) and I were heading to a titter in kingsville on a cold winter moonlit night between 281 and Kingsville on 141 . Prolly ‘92 ish? The intersection of 281 and 141 we called El Catorce or The 14 for you pinche gringos as it was roughly 14 miles from that intersection each direction to Premont, Kingsville, Alice and Gonzalitos.
Well anyway we headed towards kingsville and just passing the klebetg county airport a monster, i mean 25” plus and at min 12 pointer with 5”-6” double drops hops out of the brush and stops in the bar ditch and just looks at us. My buddy being the outlaw he was back in the day reaches behind the seat ( single cab chevy) for his trusty old marlin 22LR bolt action but he had taken it out earlier that day at the ranch at cruz called to clean it. Damn the luck but a great lesson. Buddy looks at me and says fuck it, slams on the gas sayin Ill just run his ass over. We start chasin this buck for about a mile as he darts from bar ditch to bar ditch. He was looking for an opening but brush was so damn thick he couldnt find a spot. Just as my buddy edged up on that fuckers backside, woosh!. Like a flash he jumped the fence and was gone! My buddy just let off the gas as we rolled to a stop. Damn! still haunts me to this day. In mex and the panhandle ive seen a few monsters fall but none in my mind have ever compared to that drunken night along the King Ranch bar ditch.
Man I really miss So Texas. Buddies grandfather passed and his family had a big falling out. No more ranch good times. Back then wed hit all the bars and cantinas that would come and go around alice, kingsville, premint, fal hell even cruz calle and concepcion had cantinas. Bought liquor from the JPbthat had annoffice on 1 side of the building and a liquor store on the other. We even ran in to king george a time or two at ropings at local arenas west of Fal. Nicest down to earth guy youd ever meet. Heck if you know the titter in kingsville we always had a grand time. BYOB, pass the hat to pay for the juke box while the DJ had a spotlight hed shine on the mirrored ball on the ceiling. Dont know why he called himself DJ as he didnt really play music just called out the names. Was mostly in spanish. Except the names always stayed english. Strawberry and Diamond not Fresa y Diamante.
Oh and the deer parts were just a dream and never really happened.

man those were the days

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

If anyone hears of or has leads on a lease down in South Texas please let me know. Our mexico lease has been really slow after we moved ranches 4 years. We were forced to leavre that great ranch due to a land sale. Looking to move closet to home msybe for awhile. South of San Antonio to the border pretty much would work.
Gracias

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, williemackgarza said:

Good family friends and a buddy of mine hvr a ranch (farmland really) at Cruz Calle west of Falfurrias. Spent lots of time down there since we were like 10 years old. Theyd plant sorghum milo and corn amongst other shit I cant remember. Had about a section of land. Argentina like dove hunts, all night rabbit hunts, hogs, coyotes, javis and the occasional deer that would show up got whacked. Rattlers to. Only thing that got a pass was a huge indigo wed see from time to time. His immediate family lived in Alice. Most of them were aggys. The annoying kind. The all the uncles and cousilibs were in the corp kind. Wed give each other shit all the time. With us horns always kicking their shit in on regular occassion. Was awesome. My buddy also had lots of family down there that would let us deer hunt back in the time when number of points and spread were the measuring stick. Not B&C inches like now. But everyone was happy as hell for you if you drew blood on a spike or doe or good buck. Man i miss those days, any who.. My buddy ended up going to Texas A&I in Kingsville. Man wed party all over down there from corpus to papa gallos in nuevo laredo. Good times.
Well the biggest deer ive ever seen in my life, my buddy (was driving) and I were heading to a titter in kingsville on a cold winter moonlit night between 281 and Kingsville on 141 . Prolly ‘92 ish? The intersection of 281 and 141 we called El Catorce or The 14 for you pinche gringos as it was roughly 14 miles from that intersection each direction to Premont, Kingsville, Alice and Gonzalitos.
Well anyway we headed towards kingsville and just passing the klebetg county airport a monster, i mean 25” plus and at min 12 pointer with 5”-6” double drops hops out of the brush and stops in the bar ditch and just looks at us. My buddy being the outlaw he was back in the day reaches behind the seat ( single cab chevy) for his trusty old marlin 22LR bolt action but he had taken it out earlier that day at the ranch at cruz called to clean it. Damn the luck but a great lesson. Buddy looks at me and says fuck it, slams on the gas sayin Ill just run his ass over. We start chasin this buck for about a mile as he darts from bar ditch to bar ditch. He was looking for an opening but brush was so damn thick he couldnt find a spot. Just as my buddy edged up on that fuckers backside, woosh!. Like a flash he jumped the fence and was gone! My buddy just let off the gas as we rolled to a stop. Damn! still haunts me to this day. In mex and the panhandle ive seen a few monsters fall but none in my mind have ever compared to that drunken night along the King Ranch bar ditch.
Man I really miss So Texas. Buddies grandfather passed and his family had a big falling out. No more ranch good times. Back then wed hit all the bars and cantinas that would come and go around alice, kingsville, premint, fal hell even cruz calle and concepcion had cantinas. Bought liquor from the JPbthat had annoffice on 1 side of the building and a liquor store on the other. We even ran in to king george a time or two at ropings at local arenas west of Fal. Nicest down to earth guy youd ever meet. Heck if you know the titter in kingsville we always had a grand time. BYOB, pass the hat to pay for the juke box while the DJ had a spotlight hed shine on the mirrored ball on the ceiling. Dont know why he called himself DJ as he didnt really play music just called out the names. Was mostly in spanish. Except the names always stayed english. Strawberry and Diamond not Fresa y Diamante.
Oh and the deer parts were just a dream and never really happened.
emoji12.png
emoji23.png man those were the days

That’s the intersection. I was heading west back to camp from Kville, about a mile from 281.  We’re 1000 of 3000, that was split to 3 cousins.  The third shares KR fence.    Owner also has another 3000 to himself more towards Encino that he actually puts $$$ into (houses, casitas, etc.). That’s the place for him and family.   

I love it down there but wish I was closer to Hebbronville or Raymondville.  I don’t even care we don’t have monsters, the group more than makes up for that.  We are too close to the highway, and there’s too much oilfield traffic.   I’d pay double to be a few miles from the nearest highway, and rid of oilfield traffic.  

• Like 1

CHIEF

If yall end up looking at something more central (like, within 3-4 hours of Austin), lemme know. I’d maybe be up for being a gun.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So let's talk yotes.  We have a large blind that backs up to a tree line with an open field of about 80 acres.  We hear coyotes nearby all the time and have tried a Fox Pro and a mouth caller.  Neither with any luck.  

Is the key leaving the caller going until you get something on the radar or intermittently?  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

So let's talk yotes.  We have a large blind that backs up to a tree line with an open field of about 80 acres.  We hear coyotes nearby all the time and have tried a Fox Pro and a mouth caller.  Neither with any luck.  

Is the key leaving the caller going until you get something on the radar or intermittently?  

Dogs play the wind.  Dogs are inconsistent.  Are you using the wounded rabbit cry or the coyote challenge call?

I agree that they are not easy.   My best luck is let it run for 5-10 minutes then go quiet or reduce volume for that period.   Fire it up again.  

Hunting out of a blind reduces your success IMO. Dogs can pick up the human smell while you’re in it or the smell you leave behind.    

Electronic and reed calls seem to work much better on any gato montes in the area.   Bobcats seem to have a need to investigate.   Curiosity killed the cat is not a platitude.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

@deadshank nailed it.  I haven't hunted yotes in many moons, but we used to have luck with the wounded rabbit.  5-10 minutes then shut it down for a bit.  Try to mask your scent like you're bow hunting and play the wind.  

Saw this guy at about 300 yds while elk hunting two years ago.  Mid-afternoon.  Had a predator call on my phone and called him in without a speaker.  Shut off the call to catch a video.  Dude got within 25 yards of us.  Never stopped but never really bolted.  Just a slow trot right on by.  

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

IMG_0479.thumb.jpeg.2e1932fbab088251c0798f9311f04cb5.jpeg

If you see one like this- run. It’s probably a chupacabra. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

I have killed a lot of coyotes out of a deer blind using a call.  I take a bluetooth speaker with me and put it on the porch of the blind.  Turn on for a couple minutes low volume for any close by.  Then turn off for a bit before turning volume on higher.  I probably get one about 20 percent of the time I do this.  But I do it a lot.

• Hook 'Em 3

Lol. Old buddy of mine makes a living as a real estate agent for people buying and selling ranches. Posted this pic today from a property he was visiting with a buyer. 

428081981_18410459035048779_401709155668

Easily the most dangerous hunting stand I've ever seen. Said it's about 40 feet of ladder to climb with those tiny little pegs. Enter through the floor, and then there's just a swivel seat up there. 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

50 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Lol. Old buddy of mine makes a living as a real estate agent for people buying and selling ranches. Posted this pic today from a property he was visiting with a buyer. 

Easily the most dangerous hunting stand I've ever seen. Said it's about 40 feet of ladder to climb with those tiny little pegs. Enter through the floor, and then there's just a swivel seat up there. 

Widow maker.  Jeez. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

But for a 155” slick 8…

19 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

It's a hundred yard shot just shooting straight down.

I've seen one of these before, apparently those towers were made in the 50s and 60s. A friend, in Bosque county, had a ranch behind ours. He had one that was not quite as tall, but probably still 25 foot. It had a Ford 8N tractor seat welded to the top, no gun rest, safety railing, or safety strap. He offered to let me hunt it, but I told him it would be too uncomfortable sitting on the giant balls you would have to have to pull that stunt.

CHIEF

24 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

"Real shame about the diagnosis, Earl."

"Yep, it's a real kick in the ass. Ya' know, I think I'm gonna go hunt the suicide stand this evening. If I'm not back at the camp after sundown, please come retrieve my corpse before the hogs catch wind."

My friends would leave me there for bait. 

When I was little in the 80s we frequently hunted in 20' to 25' tower blinds in South Texas.  Metal everything and a ladder to a hatch in the floor of the blind.  4' x 4'.  So loud if you dropped anything.  As a kid, my dad/granddad/uncles who I hunted with would bring a milk crate for me to sit on.  So I basically stared at a wall for a couple hours.  This was before we used feeders so often you saw nothing.

These days, I kind of like the double blinds that are no more than 8' off the ground and have a stairway and porch.

• Like 1

It's pretty wild to think how far blinds have come in the 35+ years I've been hunting.  Seeing pics of the octagonal blind with a full bar and poker table in the middle makes me laugh.  When I first started hunting as a kid, every blind was homemade.  Some much better (and safer) than others.  My dad scored a couple sections of scaffolding from a masonry contractor he knew.  We built a kick ass blind atop two sections of walk-through scaffolding with guy wires on all four corners.  My uncle was a drywall contractor and used to build all of his out of metal studs.  Fully insulated too.  They were the tits, and I always tried to sit in those on cold mornings.  

I shot the biggest buck of my life out of an old tree blind we called "the widow maker".  I used to sit with my pocket knife as the sun came up, cutting hundreds yellow jackets in half as they started to move around.  We'd bug bomb that blind before every season, but that thing was a magnet for those suckers.  Opened up another one of those black plastic 4x4 tower blinds one day only to be face-to-face with a barn owl who had made it his home.  Lots of sketchy shit including filling feeders while on my tip toes balanced on the back corner of a pickup bed rail.  

Now, my kids get to sit in big, comfortable insulated Atascosa blinds while watching YouTube or college football.  Pretty amazing upgrade.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Same.  Most I grew up hunting were framed plywood blinds with canvas bags covering the cutout windows and old carpet on the floor with a sheet-metal roof that made all the racket in the world after a few seasons and it wore itself loose and it was windy.

• Bugs
  • Snakes
  • Racoons
  • Even an owl that found it and left dozens of pellets all over the floor.

Getting actual plexiglass windows that you could open/close was a game changer.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

My dad worked for Santa Fe Railroad when I was a little kid. GM would ship car parts in these thin veneer wooden shipping crates. He wanted me to start hunting with him when I was about 5-6 years old. He found three post oaks that were growing in a triangle and nailed three 2x6s about 30 feet up. He took two of the shipping crates, took an end off of each one and fastened them together on top of the three 2x6s, and threw in a bus seat. He nailed 2x4 steps to one of the trees to get in it. So, it was open top and exposed to the elements and was still referred to as "the Taj Mahal" of the lease.

He would shit a rubber turkey if he saw my hunting set up today (Fridge, TV, a/c, solar electricity).

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2024 at 2:06 PM, CHIEF said:

My dad worked for Santa Fe Railroad when I was a little kid. GM would ship car parts in these thin veneer wooden shipping crates. He wanted me to start hunting with him when I was about 5-6 years old. He found three post oaks that were growing in a triangle and nailed three 2x6s about 30 feet up. He took two of the shipping crates, took an end off of each one and fastened them together on top of the three 2x6s, and threw in a bus seat. He nailed 2x4 steps to one of the trees to get in it. So, it was open top and exposed to the elements and was still referred to as "the Taj Mahal" of the lease.

He would shit a rubber turkey if he saw my hunting set up today (Fridge, TV, a/c, solar electricity).

CHIEF

For a few years, we hunted from the cab of an old Ford truck that had broken down and been left for dead.  The steering wheel and windshield had been taken out and we just used the bench seat- all the cushion was gone, plywood cut to cover the seat frame and we sat on pillows.  Called it the Park-N-Shoot.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/6/2023 at 10:36 AM, Storm the Field said:

Dad informed us earlier this week that he finished the stand. Brother and I heading out to the lease tomorrow afternoon to set up a new feeder to replace one of the busted ones. Dad is meeting us out there with the new stand at sunup on Sunday. Just gotta unload it and attach the roof. 

I'm enjoying my Dad's new hobby of building deer stands for me and my brother's deer lease from scrap lumber he salvages from construction sites in his neighborhood (with the builder's permission). Just told us on Saturday that he has been gathering scraps to start building us a 2nd stand later this Spring. 

Haven't been back out to the lease since New Years, so need to figure out a random weekend in March to head out to go do some work on the camp house and scout locations for this new stand. 

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I'm enjoying my Dad's new hobby of building deer stands for me and my brother's deer lease from scrap lumber he salvages from construction sites in his neighborhood (with the builder's permission). Just told us on Saturday that he has been gathering scraps to start building us a 2nd stand later this Spring. 
Haven't been back out to the lease since New Years, so need to figure out a random weekend in March to head out to go do some work on the camp house and scout locations for this new stand. 

Do you have turkeys?

Made last trip to mexiconkast week.
All seasons been really slow. Was really green all yesr and didnt see much movement at all. Well its really browned up post rut. 1 morning had probably 40 deer in senderos. Odd how it seened back to normsl. Big old 10 wouldn’t hang around long rnough for the boy to get off a shot. Ended up shooying a doe for meat. Checked out horns and guns. Kind of a sad ending. But I did shoot a tank in the panhandle this year.
Speaking of yall dee thise huge fires up around amarillo?
Around 100k acres have burned north of our spot up there. Praying it all gets knocked out before it causes much more damage. Damn92e40354bf064a7854d4e2416af305b4.png

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, deadshank said:

Back at deer camp for the first time since early January.  It has greened up a piece. 

IMG_0062.jpeg

We've had around 3 inches so far this new year at our place between Menard and Eldorado.  As our ranch foreman is fond of saying, "the place has it's Sunday suits on."  There has been no livestock grazing there the past two years due to drought.  Not sure if that will change this year.

• Hook 'Em 3