Hunting ‘23/‘24: Bag ‘em and Tag ‘em

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

@crimsonlonghorn good to see you posting. Was thinking not long ago that it had been a long time since I had seen you on the boards. Hope all has been well.  

Thank you sir. Lots going on. Internet habits come and go. I promise I'll be back more regularly.

Hope you are good, too. 

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of respect for game wardens and I 100% acknowledge how difficult their jobs are. 
That being said, showing up "randomly" in a way that appears to be correlated with data that they supposedly shouldn't have seems sketchy and unnecessary and feels like more of the virtual panopticon our society is turning into.

All of what you said, plus: serial violators (who GWs should and do spend a good amount of their time tracking) aren’t going to use digital licenses or tags. So directing wardens to police generally law abiding hunters via digital tags takes the wardens away from what is a better use of their time: catching people completely disregarding the law by not using tags/licenses at all, taking game out of season, trespassing, etc., etc.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I wish the hunting threads were like the fishing thread, wherein it’s just one continuous discussion. 

Counterpoint: the new thread every season allows me to move on from all of my mistakes, regrets, and missed opportunities from last season and start fresh. Very liberating.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, 686 said:

All of what you said, plus: serial violators (who GWs should and do spend a good amount of their time tracking) aren’t going to use digital licenses or tags. So directing wardens to police generally law abiding hunters via digital tags takes the wardens away from what is a better use of their time: catching people completely disregarding the law by not using tags/licenses at all, taking game out of season, trespassing, etc., etc.

Well said.

The only reason to show up like that after a reported kill is to look for "process crimes" among the group that just made the report. Like you said, the more serious poachers aren't going to be tagging their kills anyway. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 3:47 PM, BabaYaga said:

1MzU.gif

From TPWD this morning:

A cool and rainy Spring means that despite above-average summer temperatures, Texas hunters could encounter significantly increased dove populations as the 2023 season opens Sept. 1.

Spring surveys conducted by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) staff found an estimated 28.3 million mourning doves in Texas, a 44 percent increase from 2022.  White-wing dove populations have increased 20 percent, tying the record high with an estimated 11.7 million this year.

“This Spring was about as perfect as it could be, with steady rains and cool weather,” said Owen Fitzsimmons, TPWD Dove Program Leader. “Given the population increases this year and the excellent breeding season conditions that persisted through the first half of the summer, hunters should expect to see a lot more birds on the landscape this September.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Storm the Field said:

From TPWD this morning:

I was thinking about this recently. Plenty of food and water in the spring, and now it's dry and they have very few choices where to eat and drink and very predictable places to find them. It might be a really good opener here in a couple of weeks. 

Then again, the gulf is now waking up and we might get a couple of hurricanes by the end of August too. Never fails.

• Like 1

Well, furk. The ranch the boy and I have hunted on for the last 8 years (for “free,” although we always contributed a bunch of donated gear, helped buy blinds, feeders, etc) sold this year. The boy isn’t around much during hunting season (he’s just home over Xmas break), but we really got into the rhythm of it all: work weekends, hanging out with a pretty eclectic bunch of dudes (from high-level movers and shakers to a truck driver/rodeo cowboy who sounds exactly like Boomhauer), and usually shooting a doe (the boy and I each shot one decent buck over the years, but it ain’t about that for us).

So, I’m thinking I’d like to find a place with a good group of guys. Shit, I have an extra fridge, oven, and coffee maker I was ready to contribute to the cause this year. Nothing fancy. Just someplace to do the full set of hunting shit. And maybe bring home a deer or pig every now and then. Sigh. Guess I need to figure out how to look for that.

• Hook 'Em 1

You're welcome to join us on our family land in East Texas on the weekends I am out there. It doesn't get hunted much other than me and the occasional brother in law or compadre. I don't get out there as much as I'd like to scout out where the deer are, and they aren't as thick as they are in South Texas or the Hill Country, but you can get lost in the pines looking for venison. Or if you want a 'coon skin cap, see above. I've got plenty of trash pandas. The only caveat is that if you kill a deer, we skin it extra carefully and I get to keep the skin so I can brain tan it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

@NotActuallyALonghorn do you smoke the rawhide after the brain tan and what wood do you use to smoke it? What do you make with the leather? I’ve always been interested in this.

I also have always wondered how people thought, “you know, I’m going to rub some brains on this rawhide and maybe that will soften it up”. It would have never occurred to me.

7 hours ago, 686 said:

I also have always wondered how people thought, “you know, I’m going to rub some brains on this rawhide and maybe that will soften it up”. It would have never occurred to me.

Probably the same guys that poured the bile from the bison’s gall bladder over the freshly removed liver, at it raw and declared it a delicacy. 

Of course, I would have not argued with them and kept my distance. 

7 hours ago, 686 said:

Making methamphetamine and performing cunnilingus are two ares where this crosses my mind too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/18/2023 at 11:36 PM, 686 said:

@NotActuallyALonghorn do you smoke the rawhide after the brain tan and what wood do you use to smoke it? What do you make with the leather? I’ve always been interested in this.

I've yet to actually do it, but I've heard that different woods can make different shades of brown. For the past two or three years I've been working on assembling a period outfit for the 1820's/30's that I wear when hunting with my muzzleloaders, so need some brain tan to make a buckskin hunting shirt.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 12:08 AM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I've yet to actually do it, but I've heard that different woods can make different shades of brown. For the past two or three years I've been working on assembling a period outfit for the 1820's/30's that I wear when hunting with my muzzleloaders, so need some brain tan to make a buckskin hunting shirt.

tom-oar.jpg

• Haha 1

Buddy on our lease had this guy show up:

Allens-Monster.png

We think he may go over 190". He said he is shooting him no matter if he is 2 1/2 or 5 1/2. He said we can get a look at him in his truck bed as he hooks up his camper, and removes his blind and feeder. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

I'm gonna say he is 4 1/2 at a minimum. Anyone on the ranch, and in our group would shoot him. They might not like it, but anyone would understand. Personally, I think he is old enough. My buck from last year should probably go 170+ this year. We have multiple bucks  that will go over 150" on every one of our game cameras. The guy, in our pasture the farthest NW, has a monster mule deer buck on his camera.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Buddy on our lease had this guy show up:

Allens-Monster.png

We think he may go over 190". He said he is shooting him no matter if he is 2 1/2 or 5 1/2. He said we can get a look at him in his truck bed as he hooks up his camper, and removes his blind and feeder. 

CHIEF

With the dry range conditions, the shooter should take him early.  Antlers will be extra fragile this year and if he takes to fighting your shooter may be looking at a broke off rack.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

I'm gonna say he is 4 1/2 at a minimum. Anyone on the ranch, and in our group would shoot him. They might not like it, but anyone would understand. Personally, I think he is old enough. My buck from last year should probably go 170+ this year. We have multiple bucks  that will go over 150" on every one of our game cameras. The guy, in our pasture the farthest NW, has a monster mule deer buck on his camera.

CHIEF

Just curious - any history with that deer?

I have become a big believer in aging via multiple years of pictures. Obviously, every place is different but if I have a deer blow-up one year, then he’s probably getting a pass. For example, I couldn’t place this deer last year so he got a walk and I’m hoping to see his pictures in this years batch.

759CFA61-184D-4E72-A1CF-DE60BF02FF17.thumb.jpeg.b181f04e4bd1c92f48546a78c26576dc.jpeg

I agree with everyone else on the aging based on that pic - he’s at least 4.5.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

No one has seen this guy. But it isn't like my situation last year, where I could have shot that buck legally. Its pre-season. so he is fair game. No dibs. BUT, Ii sure hope this buddy gets him. He almost cried when CHIEF Jr. shot that big Aoudad. The guy is due. Never shot a monster anything. 

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

I couldn’t place this deer last year so he got a walk and I’m hoping to see his pictures in this years batch.

If a fatty like that walked out in front of me....this is me looking down at my hands, trying to get him in the scope

shaking-nervous.gif

20 hours ago, hornmpa96 said:

Just curious - any history with that deer?

I have become a big believer in aging via multiple years of pictures. Obviously, every place is different but if I have a deer blow-up one year, then he’s probably getting a pass. For example, I couldn’t place this deer last year so he got a walk and I’m hoping to see his pictures in this years batch.

759CFA61-184D-4E72-A1CF-DE60BF02FF17.thumb.jpeg.b181f04e4bd1c92f48546a78c26576dc.jpeg

I agree with everyone else on the aging based on that pic - he’s at least 4.5.

That’s a stunning buck.  

Just now, fattyflattie said:

That’s a stunning buck.  

He’s an incredible deer. In one sit, he was 20 yards from me in my bow blind. It was really cool to see him up close and personal. I think he injured one side of his antlers in velvet the prior season which is why I didn’t have at least one year of history before 2022. 

I should also mention that I’m trying to get the trophy deer on my place to 7 years old. So, if he was 5 last year, I’m hoping for another couple of years of growth. I’m working toward a 200 inch deer one day. We’ve come close but haven’t broken that barrier yet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

What feeders do you guys like? Dad has a birthday coming up and they just moved back to the farm after living in town the last 20 years. Would like something with a timer but nothing sophisticated. Dad isn't an old fart but he doesn't do technology. For frame of reference he got his first cellphone in 2015.

2 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

What feeders do you guys like? Dad has a birthday coming up and they just moved back to the farm after living in town the last 20 years. Would like something with a timer but nothing sophisticated. Dad isn't an old fart but he doesn't do technology. For frame of reference he got his first cellphone in 2015.

We use these on our lease: http://judgefeeders.com/

Not the cheapest, but varmint-proof and low so easier to fill just standing up or from the back of a pickup truck.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

All Seasons are great. I manage 5 corn feeders and 2 protein feeders at our place, and the All Seasons unit I’ve had running year round for almost 10 years hasn’t had a single problem. I think I’ve only replaced the battery once in that time.

https://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/collections/broadcast

The West Texas Feeder Supply mechanism with The Timer and The Eliminator may be the best stand alone mechanism in my opinion. It has a great timer and a spinner plate that seals up against the feeder funnel to keep raccoon loss to a minimum.

https://westtexasfeedersupply.com/product/12-volt-unit-wmotor-the-eliminator-the-timer-solar-panel/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Looks like they've changed it up a bit but I've been happy with everything I've ever purchased from these guys.  Nice blinds, too.   

https://www.texaswildlifesupply.com/broadcast-feeders

And as @686 said, im not certain there is a substitute for THE TIMER. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hornmpa96 said:

He’s an incredible deer. In one sit, he was 20 yards from me in my bow blind. It was really cool to see him up close and personal. I think he injured one side of his antlers in velvet the prior season which is why I didn’t have at least one year of history before 2022. 

I should also mention that I’m trying to get the trophy deer on my place to 7 years old. So, if he was 5 last year, I’m hoping for another couple of years of growth. I’m working toward a 200 inch deer one day. We’ve come close but haven’t broken that barrier yet.

I get it.  I'm just saying I love that "style" of antler like that.  Just a beautiful deer, whether he was a 140 or 190.   But then I guess it's kind of like women, I love about 50 different types of them, too.  

• Hook 'Em 1

When my Dad passed in 2019, he had two brand new 800 lb. Capsule Feeders https://www.feradyne.com/product/800lb-capsule-feeder/ in his shop. I thought, "what idoit would pay a grand for a damn corn feeder." So they sat in my shop until 2021 when I got on my current lease. Since they were "free" I decided to use one as my personal feeder. I'll never use anything else. We feed corn from about the first of September and shut off the corn during Spring Break. So about 200 days, more or less. You can throw up to 4 lbs. per day, and only have to fill it from the ground once per year. They aren't cheap, but they are coon (its an auger system, coons aren't strong enough to spin it through the cage), and hog proof. It has been maintenance free with cleaned corn, still runs the original spinner motor, timer, and battery for three years.

CHIEF

What are your guys thoughts on CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease, basically mad cow but deer) in deer? I've never deer hunted but my family has some land in NW Kansas where I go pheasant hunting and I see plenty of deer while chasing birds.

My concern is that 1/3 deer in that part of KS test positive for CWD and while there has been no transmission to humans yet maybe it takes like 10 years to develop or something.

Anyways I'll probably kill a deer at some point but it's not on the top of the priority list. Last year while pheasant hunting I watched 2 bucks fighting in a Milo field long enough for me to walk up almost next to them with a dog...here is the winner.

24fbf06804dfa90fdd2b5402f083ff25.jpg5ad8257351ab82244be268bf964b4004.jpg

• Like 1