Spanish FA (RFEF) threatens to leave UEFA

ztejas

I figured I should start a new thread as this is now a lot bigger than the Women's WC. 

What on fucking earth? 

In case anyone is curious as to what this entails:

- Both men's and women's national teams would be ineligible for UEFA competition 

- All Spanish club teams would be ineligible for UEFA competition (Champions League, Europa League etc.)

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 2

Wait... So the Spanish FA is supporting Luis? That can't be right. Spanish coaches and the Spanish National Team have condemned what he did. The women's team coaches have quit en masse in protest. The PM has said an apology isn't enough. But the FA are threatening the nuclear option if the dude is fired?

I'm so confused.

• Hook 'Em 2

oh this is gonna get messy. from that subreddit:

They are doing this because they are alleging that the Spanish government is meddling in RFEF (the Spanish soccer fed). UEFA has declined. 

apparently Rubiales has connections in the government. they are acting like there may be something even bigger going on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

heres more:

UEFA has rejected a request from the Spanish football federation to have itself suspended by European football’s governing body. RFEF complained to UEFA that the Spanish government was interfering in the running of its affairs. UEFA Statutes say associations should manage their own affairs without any third-party influence. Spanish clubs and Spain’s national teams could have been excluded from European competitions if UEFA had decided to take action. UEFA and its president Aleksander Ceferin have been in regular contact with FIFA about the Luis Rubiales case. As the Women’s World Cup was a FIFA competition and Rubiales’ actions fall under their jurisdiction, it was agreed that the FIFA disciplinary bodies would deal with the case.

• ztejas changed the title to Spanish FA (RFEF) threatens to leave UEFA
46 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

What a fucking anthill to die on.  

45 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I think it's more like an iceberg.

You guys are both wrong, the guy is dying inside of a crater that he got when he fumbled a bomb.

grenade GIF

The TL;DR version is that nothing is going to happen and Rubiales and his cronies are all going to lose in this case. Once FIFA stepped in, he was fucked.

Defector had a piece up today giving good breakdown of everything since Rubiales dug his heels in. Before he did his "I'm not quitting" bit (when everyone thought he was going to quit), Rubiales stripped all of the VPs that weren't 1,000% on his side. The guy that was next in line and became acting President was his boy Pedro Rocha. He is basically acting on Rubiales's behalf. This included the UEFA threat and a second statement flat out calling Hermosa a liar (that shockingly vanished not long after being posted - a copy is here).

Even Rubiales's mom is in on the act - locking herself in a church and going on a hunger strike until the "inhuman, bloodthirsty witch hunt which my son is being subjected to" is over - link here.

This whole UEFA threat is simply a bluff. Rubiales's knows he is in the wrong here and using RFEF as a pawn to try to save his ass. I don't see how it works. The threat (which clearly didn't work) was purely trying to get the government off his ass for simply doing what normal humans should do - demand he should resign. They didn't meddle at all.

Dude dug in his heels when the right move was simply to say "sorry, my bad" the day after. And he's going to bring a lot of people down that are loyal to him.

• Hook 'Em 5

He's a piece of shit who has clearly gotten away with whatever he wants for his entire life, and he's doubled and tripled down on that.  Now is the opportunity for real voices in Spanish football (especially the players and coaches, women AND MEN) to stand their fucking ground.  Seems like some of them are already doing so.  Good.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

I figured I should start a new thread as this is now a lot bigger than the Women's WC. 

What on fucking earth? 

In case anyone is curious as to what this entails:

- Both men's and women's national teams would be ineligible for UEFA competition 

- All Spanish club teams would be ineligible for UEFA competition (Champions League, Europa League etc.)

Ice Cube Friday GIF

Rubiales is going to be gone.

The only two questions really are:

1. When?

2. Does he bring down the whole system he's set up with him or does that go down too? The longer he stays, the more likely all of his guys are out.

11 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

The regional presidents have called for him to resign which is a step in the right direction. 

This is a perfect example of point 2. Right now these regional guys are saying 'Quit and we'll let your guy stay in a president.'

Here is a twitter thread outlining this

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.298f3018c170d227bb5edc4392e1bb60.pngimage.thumb.png.ab58bd07830eaa44d8955df3060bbb93.png

But as long as Rubiales digs in his heels, this support will wain and eventually they will say out with everyone.

This is one of the best F around and find out examples I have ever seen in the world of sports. An entire cadre of clownfraud misogynists are going to be out of jobs and barred from ever working in the sport again. Good on these Spanish women for standing their ground and using their newfound leverage to get things done.

14 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

3.  Will he let his mom die trying to avenge his dumb ass?

Can’t see why he wouldn’t. Just a sacrifice for the cause of rampant idiocy.

It’s comical that Vilda’s two great sins:

1) Having training methods that 15 women didn’t like 10 months ago.

2) He applauded his boss’ Wolf of Wall Street speech.

With women’s sports, you can’t dare be a dickhead of a coach or a hard ass.

There is no “The Ends Justify The Means.” in women’s soccer (at least). The head coach must be likable too.

🙄