Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

29 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Please tell me Rusty is not giving the closing argument 

Clap Yes GIF by Jasmine Star

Also, WFAA mentioning that 7 Senators that were Paxton allies were eating together last night, and that they think Paxton needs two additional Senators along with another Paxton ally, but it has to be across all 16 charges.

Edited by atomheartbevo

4 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

This is all academic, no.  Isn't it generally assumed that Paxton skates?

Because the GOP has condemned this state to one hundred years of misery and we do not have a second opportunity on earth.

It's not assumed, because if he was going to easily skate, they would have tossed the charges last week (or never even have gotten to this piont), because the "coup" plotters are all very conservative types that were hand-picked by him to serve under him, and because it's obvious some BMDs/Republican power players want him gone or at least humiliated.

Edit: His securities fraud and his Nate Paul ties have also really irritated the fuck out of Republicans, because it hangs over everything.

But with this timeline, who the fuck knows.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Because the GOP has condemned this state to one hundred years of misery and we do not have a second opportunity on earth.

It's not generally assumed of anything except that it's going to be close. There is a cadre of 7-8 that are definitely against impeachment. 

7 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Hey, the Longhorns just beat Alabama.  We can do this.

giphy.gif

• Drool 1

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

Patrick laid out the escape route "if an article contains three elements and the senator only believes 2 of them were proven beyond a reasonable doubt then the whole article is not proven"

That's how any crime or civil claim is.  In a court of law.

But, as mentioned previously, this is not a court of law.  Not even close to being one.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm not going to lie, I kind of want Paxton to skate, so that he goes on his revenge tour and tries to ensure that all 60 Republicans in the House that voted against him are booted out of office next year.  That would suck up so many Republican election funds.

The only question here is the specific nature and intensity of the GQP civil war, not whether there is one.

Convict Paxton?  GQP civil war.

Acquit Paxton?  GQP civil war.

Outcome either way: the people of Texas somehow continue to get good and fucked.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm not going to lie, I kind of want Paxton to skate, so that he goes on his revenge tour and tries to ensure that all 60 Republicans in the House that voted against him are booted out of office next year.  That would suck up so many Republican election funds.

I kinda want him to skate because Texans deserve this piece of shit. 

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

The only question here is the specific nature and intensity of the GQP civil war, not whether there is one.

Convict Paxton?  GQP civil war.

Acquit Paxton?  GQP civil war.

Outcome either way: the people of Texas somehow continue to get good and fucked.

Paxton won't have much power if he's booted out though, so the civil war won't be much.  We've already seen that Paxton doesn't have much of a base, based on the lack of Paxton supporters in the balcony or protesting outside.  As Attorney General though, he could stir up a lot of shit and continue to fundraise against those Republicans.

And like I said, if he's booted out, they probably ban him from future office, which means he could not raise any more campaign funds, which means that  the campaign funds he currently controls become extremely valuable (assuming they aren't stripped from him somehow), and I don't think he wastes them on a revenge tour.

Listening to Patrick reading the charges, I didn't realize that Paxton didn't contest that he was having an affair with Olson.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And it's irrelevent, they'd be replaced by equal, or more likely, bigger crazies. Net loss Texas. Get the motherfucker out. 

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Paxton won't have much power if he's booted out though, so the civil war won't be much.  We've already seen that Paxton doesn't have much of a base, based on the lack of Paxton supporters in the balcony or protesting outside.  As Attorney General though, he could stir up a lot of shit and continue to fundraise against those Republicans.

And like I said, if he's booted out, they probably ban him from future office, which means he could not raise any more campaign funds, which means that  the campaign funds he currently controls become extremely valuable (assuming they aren't stripped from him somehow), and I don't think he wastes them on a revenge tour.

Listening to Patrick reading the charges, I didn't realize that Paxton didn't contest that he was having an affair with Olson.

If Paxton actually got impeached, he would immeidately move to a neighboring red state and run for AG. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

I kind of want him to skate and then have the FBI come fuck his shit up while our lege stands around holding their dicks.

That is a real possibility. And he's still got the securities fraud stuff.

I think he gets booted out though.  Even the simple idea of him starting a Republican civil war heading into a Presidential election has to make some Senators really nervous.

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

And it's irrelevent, they'd be replaced by equal, or more likely, bigger crazies. Net loss Texas. Get the motherfucker out. 

If Paxton actually got impeached, he would immeidately move to a neighboring red state and run for AG. 

He will likely be Trump's choice for US Attorney General if Trump wins, whether removed from Texas or not.

He has proven he has no qualms with weaponizing a department of justice and taking care of allies.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

WFAA mentioned that even after today, he's still impeached, because the additional four articles relating to the securities fraud (there are 20 in total) are playing out in actual court.

Interesting.  So even if he's acquitted by the Senate after these proceedings, he's still on leave and the interim AG is still in charge?

1 minute ago, TexasEd said:

He will likely be Trump's choice for US Attorney General if Trump wins, whether removed from Texas or not.

I was thinking that, and he'd have his campaign funds to weasel his way into Trump's graces....but he would also be a loser with the Nate Paul shit hanging over his head, and Trump doesn't like losers.

Sounds like the House gets 10 minutes, defense gets 60, and then House gets 50 minutes.

It's not civil war, it's a motley group of partisans looking for small victories against an occupying force of huns (GOP). I don't want Paxton to skate.  If he loses, it's the equivalent of me putting laxative in the potato soup of a bunch of German officers and not getting caught.

We're like the dutch in WWII.

tumblr_nq09gl6cwB1qj6sk2o1_500.gif

• Like 1

Just now, The Original Greaser Bob said:

It's not civil war, it's a motley group of partisans looking for small victories against an occupying force of huns (GOP). I don't want Paxton to skate.  If he loses, it's the equivalent of me putting laxative in the potato soup of a bunch of German officers and not getting caught.

We're like the dutch in WWII.

tumblr_nq09gl6cwB1qj6sk2o1_500.gif

If anyone could take this impeachment a bridge too far, it's Rusty. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Interesting.  So even if he's acquitted by the Senate after these proceedings, he's still on leave and the interim AG is still in charge?

Yep, he's still technically impeached until those work their way out.

Here's a list of all 20 charges

https://www.texastribune.org/2023/05/25/ken-paxton-20-articles-impeachment/

I'm guessing these three are part of the ones not being voted on today:

Article 11, obstruction of justice

Paxton abused the judicial process to thwart justice by causing “protracted” delays after a Collin County grand jury indicted him for securities fraud for soliciting investors in Servergy Inc. without disclosing that the McKinney tech company was paying him to round up investors. Those delays “deprived the electorate of its opportunity to make an informed decision when voting for attorney general,” the resolution said.

Article 12, obstruction of justice 

Paxton abused the judicial process to thwart justice when Jeff Blackard, a donor to his campaigns, took legal action that “disrupted payment of the prosecutors” in the securities fraud case against him, causing a protracted delay in the case.

Article 13, false statements in official records

Before and after holding public office, Paxton made false statements to mislead the public and public officials by lying to the State Securities Board during its investigation of Paxton’s failure to register as an investment adviser as required by state law.

This could be the fourth charge:

Article 14, false statements in official records

Before and during his time in office, Paxton made false statements on personal finance statements required by Texas law by failing to “fully and accurately disclose his financial interests” on disclosure forms.

Just now, South Austin said:

Bad timing to be on a Zoom hearing with about 50 attorneys.

eh, it's all livestreamed on youtube and you can scrub back in time to watch if you care to

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

I like the overly tan face and slicked-back hair.   Exactly the kind of attorney I'd want in this situation.

Yeah the chat is calling him "diet trump" lmao

• Haha 5

14 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I was thinking that, and he'd have his campaign funds to weasel his way into Trump's graces....but he would also be a loser with the Nate Paul shit hanging over his head, and Trump doesn't like losers.

Sounds like the House gets 10 minutes, defense gets 60, and then House gets 50 minutes.

The Nate shit is federal and Trump could pardon Paxton in order to appoint him.  That would be 100% in character