Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Here's the thing: Paxton may have made his biggest mistake a couple of weeks ago, when he publicly vowed to campaign against every one of the 60 Republicans who voted for his impeachment in the House, and presumably, he will campaign against every Republican in the Senate last week who didn't vote to toss out the charges against him.  And we know he's petty enough and angry enough to do it.

This is a very good, and realpolitik observation.

Paxton is on trial for his political life.  He has said that if he survives the trial, he will seek vengeance on.....everyone.  If you are....anyone.....that creates a very, very strong incentive to END Paxton's political life.

"If you acquit me and I'm allowed to walk the streets a free man, I'm going to kill you."  "Well, okay then....I'm damned well gonna make sure you never walk the streets a free man again."

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This is a very good, and realpolitik observation.

Paxton is on trial for his political life.  He has said that if he survives the trial, he will seek vengeance on.....everyone.  If you are....anyone.....that creates a very, very strong incentive to END Paxton's political life.

"If you acquit me and I'm allowed to walk the streets a free man, I'm going to kill you."  "Well, okay then....I'm damned well gonna make sure you never walk the streets a free man again."

Come at the King, best not miss.

Not that he's really the King, but if you are going to make the consequences of a miss high, all you're doing is ensuring they do everything possible not to miss.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I wonder if Danny G is sustaining all of these objections so when Paxton gets curbstomped by the senate vote he'll have nothing about which to complain as to the proceedings.

Why would that matter? This isn't a real trial. It's simply a show for the senators who will then cast votes to convict or not at the end. It's not criminal or civil court so WGAF what is or is not allowed by Patrick?

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Why would that matter? This isn't a real trial. It's simply a show for the senators who will then cast votes to convict or not at the end. It's not criminal or civil court so WGAF what is or is not allowed by Patrick?

My point was to speculate whether Patrick may be trying to appear to be deferential to Paxton for appearances (hence re-election chances) if the ultimate outcome is in the bag against him.

Albino did not appear credible.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, DDD Dad said:

My point was to speculate whether Patrick may be trying to appear to be deferential to Paxton for appearances (hence re-election chances) if the ultimate outcome is in the bag against him.

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for clarification. But to paraphrase Bob Uecker from Major League: "Nobody's watching anyways."

So De La Garza -- the OAG HR guy -- was on the stand on cross. Went like this...

"Mr. De La Garza, are you familiar with the whistleblower act?"

"Yes"

"Then you know it says anyone fired within 90 days of being a whistleblower is given the presumption of being retaliated against?"

"Yes."

Lawyer then asks about all the whistleblowers fired within 90 days of reporting Paxton to FBI and the HR guy confirms the dates.

"Mr. De La Garza, are you familiar with the saying 'there are no coincidences in Austin'?" "No more questions."

40 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So De La Garza -- the OAG HR guy -- was on the stand on cross. Went like this...

"Mr. De La Garza, are you familiar with the whistleblower act?"

"Yes"

"Then you know it says anyone fired within 90 days of being a whistleblower is given the presumption of being retaliated against?"

"Yes."

Lawyer then asks about all the whistleblowers fired within 90 days of reporting Paxton to FBI and the HR guy confirms the dates.

"Mr. De La Garza, are you familiar with the saying 'there are no coincidences in Austin'?" "No more questions."

Was he asked if he was aware that Ken Paxton agreed that the whistleblowers were owed $3.3m for Paxton's and presumably his actions as the HR lead? Speaking of which, that's quite the achievement as an HR rep to not mitigate the problems in firing people. Well done Mr. De La Garza in protecting the Texas taxpayers.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

So Paxton supporters want to hold a rally now, as the trial is wrapping up, when they could have been packing the balcony and protesting outside the chambers/Capitol....dozens of them.

Yes!  It's the Bush family...they did this!  And also the Colonel, with his wee beady eyes and the secret ingredient he puts in his chicken that makes you crave it fortnightly! 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

This is actually a pretty good observation, yes Surly lawyers??

That observation isn't wrong.  If I was representing Paxton, where my duty was to pursue and preserve his interests, in order of importance....yeah, "don't say shit that will send you to pound-me-in-the-ass prison" would be chief among my goals for him.  It was kind of the baseline strategy here - a "first do no harm" kind of thing.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

That observation isn't wrong.  If I was representing Paxton, where my duty was to pursue and preserve his interests, in order of importance....yeah, "don't say shit that will send you to pound-me-in-the-ass prison" would be chief among my goals for him.  It was kind of the baseline strategy here - a "first do no harm" kind of thing.

I think Paxton's team promised way more than what we got. The "we've got nothing to hide" remark at the beginning can't really be squared with all the obstruction and Paxton not only refusing to testify but refusing to even be present. Pay attention to their actions, not their words. That would be my theme.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I rewatched De La Garza's cross, and when the defense was asking him about the time line, he didn't want to concede the date the whistleblowers went to the FBI because he didn't have personal knowledge of it. The lawyer was incredulous and asked him something like "you don't know? You're the head of HR, aren't you?" He answered "now, yes."

If it were a regular trial, I have no doubt Dutko would've picked up on it, but he was thrashing the guy and on the clock.

And as someone mentioned up thread, these senators are reading all of this anyway.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Cap33 said:

I rewatched De La Garza's cross, and when the defense was asking him about the time line, he didn't want to concede the date the whistleblowers went to the FBI because he didn't have personal knowledge of it. The lawyer was incredulous and asked him something like "you don't know? You're the head of HR, aren't you?" He answered "now, yes."

If it were a regular trial, I have no doubt Dutko would've picked up on it, but he was thrashing the guy and on the clock.

And as someone mentioned up thread, these senators are reading all of this anyway.

He was getting good stuff that he knew he had him on. During a deposition he would have definitely explored that. I'm not sure, even without a clock, that he pushes on it at trial. If he doesn't know the answer, it could all end up being nothing and diluting the cross.