Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

To me the biggest gap in the prosecution side of this "case" is showing how Paxton personally benefited from Paul. I don't buy that 25K political donation meant anything. 

The closest bribe that I can see is that Paxton made a quick payment of 121K for his house renovations to a builder who reportedly has connections to Paul. Was this a planned payment or Paxton trying to re-pay the bribe. This occurred the same day that Paxton knew his aides were rebelling. It was also the day they went to the FBI but I unaware if there is proof that Paxton was aware of the FBI aspect.

Have the people involved with the renovations given testimony under oath or not? 

To me the biggest gap in the prosecution side of this "case" is showing how Paxton personally benefited from Paul. I don't buy that 25K political donation meant anything. 
The closest bribe that I can see is that Paxton made a quick payment of 121K for his house renovations to a builder who reportedly has connections to Paul. Was this a planned payment or Paxton trying to re-pay the bribe. This occurred the same day that Paxton knew his aides were rebelling. It was also the day they went to the FBI but I unaware if there is proof that Paxton was aware of the FBI aspect.
Have the people involved with the renovations given testimony under oath or not? 

Follow the pussy.
  • Drool 1

Angela Paxton is sitting trough this, listening to various people testify about what a horrible cheat and criminal her husband is. Meanwhile, he’s nowhere to be found. He has to know how this could backfire on him with the senators sitting in judgement of him.

What a profile in courage.

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The benefit is probably something off-books. Promises of future real estate holdings contingent on certain deals not falling through, meaning contingent on fucking up the federal investigations into WCH.

54 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

24 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

The benefit is probably something off-books. Promises of future real estate holdings contingent on certain deals not falling through, meaning contingent on fucking up the federal investigations into WCH.

Or blackmail of some kind.  Could be as simple as Nate would spill the beans on Paxton sleeping around, but apparently Paxton's human wife doesn't give a fuck if he slept around.

Remember, the House when they filed the articles, etc., one of the managers said something to the effect that the really bad stuff hasn't been publicly revealed yet.

As a layman, I think Buzbee is a really great lawyer. Not sure if his attitude is an act or if he is doing it on purpose, but I think that's a detractor. He just seems so exasperated all the time. But it comes through that he is sharp and on the game. 

I think most of these objections are valid, but all they seem to do is throw a spotlight on what parts they feel are damaging. If he's Mr. "We've not nothing to hide" it looks like he's doing his best to avoid the facts.

Edited by chainsaw

Paul strikes me as the type who would lure a dumbass politician into doing stupid shit, getting proof of said stupid shit, and then use it as insurance later on.  Can you imagine being in real estate/commercial development, having large sums of money come from interesting sources, and having the state AG in your back pocket?

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I think most of these objections are valid, but all they seem to do is throw a spotlight on what parts they feel are damaging. If he's Mr. "We've not nothing to hide" it looks like he's doing his best to avoid the facts.

And Rusty and Co. probably know what they are going to object to.  Multiple times Paxton's lawyers tried to interrupt them asking a question of a witness because they didn't want the question brought up or on the record, while it's possible Rusty knew they'd object to the question and/or knew that Patrick would sustain the objection, but Rusty wanted the question heard and on the record, even if it couldn't be answered.

But IANAL.

edit: That doesn't stand for "I am not a lawyer" it stands for "I anal", and has nothing to do with the thread, I just wanted people to know that I've been down for it in the past.

get the league GIF

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

As a layman, I think Buzbee is a really great lawyer. Not sure if his attitude is an act or if he is doing it on purpose, but I think that's a detractor. He just seems so exasperated all the time. But it comes through that he is sharp and on the game. 

It's a gimmick.  He just seems like an asshole to me.  Lots of Chewbacca defense. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

You kidding me? He seems like a blowhard douchebag trying to impress with how much hot air he can push. He doesn't have the law or facts on his side, so he's just pounding the table

He's a smooth talker on the most superficial level.  Somewhat surprisingly, so was Rudy when he was in court.

11 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Buzbee forgets this isn't a criminal trial.

He probably wishes it was, since there'd be lots of ways to drag it out, appeal, etc.

But it's an impeachment, and there could even be a vote to bar Paxton from all publicly-held offices in the future (and probably will be) and nothing that Buzbee can do to change that.

Paxton has recently made it clear that he's going to try and primary anybody in the House or Senate who votes against him, so more than a few of them are thinking he'll have a harder time if they impeach him and he's no longer in office.  The fact that Paxton doesn't have a bunch of diehards overwhelming the balcony or protesting in large numbers outside should give them some confidence that a lot of people don't give a shit.

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He probably wishes it was, since there'd be lots of ways to drag it out, appeal, etc.

But it's an impeachment, and there could even be a vote to bar Paxton from all publicly-held offices in the future (and probably will be) and nothing that Buzbee can do to change that.

Paxton has recently made it clear that he's going to try and primary anybody in the House or Senate who votes against him, so more than a few of them are thinking he'll have a harder time if they impeach him and he's no longer in office.  The fact that Paxton doesn't have a bunch of diehards overwhelming the balcony or protesting in large numbers outside should give them some confidence that a lot of people don't give a shit.

It's the empty bluster of a desperate bully.  Once he's gone do you see him going around the state goading people to do his bidding?  

Hell naw. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

It's the empty bluster of a desperate bully.  Once he's gone do you see him going around the state goading people to do his bidding?  

Hell naw. 

This.

Paxton's power is tied to his position.

Take away the position, and he's just another wonky-eyed blowhard piece of shit.  There's a glut of those in this state, so good luck standing out from the crowd, Kenny boy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Hell naw. 

Nope.  The best Paxton could muster was a bus full of a few dozen supporters on the first day of the impeachment last week, and that was it.  Being AG is all the power he has.

If he stays in office, I think he will absolutely use everything at his disposal to go after his fellow Republicans based on what he's said, which would probably open him up to more impeachment charges.

A lot of people still think he's gone, based on the fact that the impeachment is still going on, and I hope they are right. He's definitely damaged goods for his next primary, and Abbott did select somebody to fill the AG's chair, who can probably win in the next election.

• Hook 'Em 1

Buzbee's questions about Perry's indictment are bullshit.  He mischaracterized the basis for the indictment.

He didn't get indicted for exercising his veto power.  He was indicted for THREATENING to veto funding for the state's public integrity unit if a DA didn't resign over a DWI guilty plea.

Also, tan suit.  No one seems to mind.

2 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Buzbee's questions about Perry's indictment are bullshit.  He mischaracterized the basis for the indictment.

He didn't get indicted for exercising his veto power.  He was indicted for THREATENING to veto funding for the state's public integrity unit if a DA didn't resign over a DWI guilty plea.

Also, tan suit.  No one seems to mind.

I think southern racists grant a one-week grace period after Labor Day to transition from White to Tan to Navy Blue.  IIRC.

Or do you mean......"Because of the Implication"  

Somebody more lawyerly explain to me how they are managing to keep Paxton and Paul's true financial relationship outta this.  I can sorta see how even the most adamant anti-Paxton House Managers don't want that coming to light though, it's bad for business all the way around.  But as of now, I don't think they have him as dead to rights as they had hoped.  But if his true financial relationship with Nate and some of Nate's LP's were to be exposed, it's game over for Ken.  But I'm sensing they're realizing Ken can take a fuckton down with him.  Desperate men often do.  Ken's gotta nice hole card though.  They can't threaten his wife to scare him, since they obviously fucking hate each other.  Even professional criminals are like, "What's the fucking point?  He'd probably fucking thank us."