Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

3 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

You just wonder how much more quickly things would have moved along if the head of your prosecution team were not someone used to being at Lubys by 4

My understanding is the prosecution is alleging that Paul was seeking protection from the feds from Paxton. Is that not correct?

Yes that's right. And now that he got indicted, he has a reason to plead the 5th.

Lawyers on here wanna 'splain why they took so fucking long to notify Senate/Defense of her appearance?  We all knew it was coming, but they're gonna botch the 24-hour rule?  

Please somebody make a meme of the uber screenshot where it tells you what time your "ride" will arrive with the username David P. and have it read 05:17 with destination being a state prison.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

There it is.... overruling and sustaining the same objection in less than a minute.

Yeah, Patrick has been really bad. I don't want to blame him too much because he isn't a judge or even a lawyer. But he should have passed this off.

Given the shitty procedural nonsense, if I am prosecution, I just feed the case I want to make in writing to the DMN or Statesman with quotes.  It's not like the senators are going to limit their decision to what is in the court.  So just drop the story during deliberations and let the fire spread.

God I hope Rusty doesn't do closing.  Give it to this woman or the bowtie.  I presume it's likely DDG though.  

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Interesting, they used protonmail "because China" lmfao. Unbelievable that the AG's office set up that account. It specifically exists to dodge oversight. 

Fuck paxton for sustaining those objections about explaining why those services are more notable than just gmail.

Protonmail is a giant blinking red flag that you are either crazy or up to something illegal.

3 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

???   I use Protonmail and I can assure you that I'm not up to anything illegal nor am I crazy.

Of course, I am not in public office.

Protonmail means you care a LOT about your privacy. Caring about your privacy doesn't mean you're sketchy, but you will probably be using the same products and services as some sketchy people.

And you're exactly right - using a tool like Protonmail in public office is a massive signal that you are trying to break public records laws. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Given the shitty procedural nonsense, if I am prosecution, I just feed the case I want to make in writing to the DMN or Statesman with quotes.  It's not like the senators are going to limit their decision to what is in the court.  So just drop the story during deliberations and let the fire spread.
God I hope Rusty doesn't do closing.  Give it to this woman or the bowtie.  I presume it's likely DDG though.  

Bowtie and the younger (dark haired) woman have been on point and very prepared for defense BS and random Patrick rulings… they should have been running the show for the precaution … Hardin is way past his prime…
He was a bad choice to participate and a worse choice to lead the show… Deguerin and the older woman were competent for some of the less critical witnesses

Buzbee is full of shit with most of his “that ain’t the way it’s done” objections and running amok with his commentary during cross examination and objections
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, VinyVango said:

Bowtie and the younger (dark haired) woman have been on point and very prepared for defense BS and random Patrick rulings… they should have been running the show for the precaution … Hardin is way past his prime…
He was a bad choice to participate and a worse choice to lead the show… Deguerin and the older woman were competent for some of the less critical witnesses

Buzbee is full of shit with most of his “that ain’t the way it’s done” objections and running amok with his commentary during cross examination and objections

Hardin gets a lot of leeway those younger lawyers wouldn't usually get. They have the ability to good ol' boy their way around many obstacles that would stop the younger lawyers dead in their tracks.

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Examples?

The most common example in this trial has been some of the folksy banter you've seen. All the instances where Rusty sort of "aw shucks" his way out of a hearsay issue and the objection gets overruled. When Patrick was sort of asleep at the wheel his rulings basically depended on whether he felt like listening to the answer. The others on the defense team picked up on that and started calling more attention to their objections to force Patrick to pretend he was thinking about it and consult the judge. At that point Rusty's batting average started to drop, mainly for political reasons.

7 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I've seen several of Buzbee's cross-examinations on the subject of countertops, but this is his finest display of legal excellence in this field.

If you, your family, or your elected official have ever been injured by countertops, please call Tony Buzbee.

I just pictured Tony Buzbee landing atop  a massive marble kitchen island like Ted Lorenz on those cars.  "I'm Tony Buzbee and I'm on top of it!!!!!!!!!!!" 

(Me lazily pretending to read his business card), "Counter?  Oh, like you specialize in countersue litigation?"  (I pause and actually read it), "Oh, you literally sue people over counters.  Gotcha."  (trying to make small talk to get out of awkward conversation), "Pretty hard to establish venue then, given all the imported stuff from Italy, or.....?"   

Edited by YGIFS
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

The most common example in this trial has been some of the folksy banter you've seen. All the instances where Rusty sort of "aw shucks" his way out of a hearsay issue and the objection gets overruled. When Patrick was sort of asleep at the wheel his rulings basically depended on whether he felt like listening to the answer. The others on the defense team picked up on that and started calling more attention to their objections to force Patrick to pretend he was thinking about it and consult the judge. At that point Rusty's batting average started to drop, mainly for political reasons.

The defense seems to be benefitting from Paxton's cluelessness at times, too, and their lead attorney is anything but folksy, so I'd argue that this is not a good example of the benefit of having Hardin lead.  I do agree that the defense team has kind of turned the W-L record on objections by pressuring Danny, but I don't think this is a good example of Rusty's experience helping the prosecution.  

The overruling/sustaining of objections seems random as much as anything.  IANAL, but I do know what hearsay is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

buzbee is just getting every objection sustained by paxton. He's straight up not allowing these state employees to give their point of view. Busted ass fucking proceedings. 

Borderline misogynist with how much he's interrupting the defense's action. It's like a fucking daytime news segment when it's just one person yelling over another. Buzbee is just burning the clock and preventing anything of substance from happening. And of course paxton is all too happy to let buzbee object while glancing up from his cell phone. Fuckin shameful display

• Rage+1 1

Yeah…. Rules of Evidence shouldn’t have applied here at all.  It’s pretty evident now.  I get that allows Buzbee to really just go off on witnesses but witnesses are still under oath so I am willing to let them be badgered to avoid giving a shit about hearsay and speculation  it’s not a fucking criminal trial   

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Based on the trial so far, does it look like Paxton gets kicked out of office? Please say yes. 

If it was based on the trial only, I'd say no. I'm basing that off if I were on a jury and someone had to meet the "beyond reasonable doubt" level. I think the defense is doing a good job, the prosecution really isn't, and it's a clown show that also has a time limit. The defense has been able to just gum up the works with objections to make it hard to see the clear paths of what Paxton did/didn't do.

So it's not that he's been proven innocent, more he hasn't been proven guilty. I think the court procedures are the biggest fault. It's so much easier to destroy something than to build it and the defense has been able to do just that by being allowed to run wild.

6 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Based on the trial so far, does it look like Paxton gets kicked out of office? Please say yes. 

I bolded the irrelevant part of your question.

The decision as to whether to vote to convict or not was made by every single Senator well before this trial started.  We just have to wait for the trial to end before they reveal what their vote is, and always was.

"How the trial has gone" has no bearing on that answer.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think he definitely did the stuff he's accused of, and the testimony and documents have proven it. Nate Paul had unacceptable access to OAG and used it to attempt to harass his enemies, and in the case of the bank subpoenas, he was successful in harassing them.

If anyone doubts that, their doubts are unreasonable.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I think he definitely did the stuff he's accused of, and the testimony and documents have proven it. Nate Paul had unacceptable access to OAG and used it to attempt to harass his enemies, and in the case of the bank subpoenas, he was successful in harassing them.

If anyone doubts that, their doubts are unreasonable.

I guess my question is still... why? I can't think it was for a $25,000 donation and some countertops.