Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Trial lawyer pro-tip:

Closing argument feels like the most dramatic, meaningful part of a trial. It's where everything you believe is all tied together into a truly compelling story.  You feel like Atticus motherfucking Finch making it sometimes.

It's also usually the most irrelevant part of a trial.  The percentage of jurors or judges who were going to vote one way before closing arguments, or were undecided, and then they decide/change their vote....is miniscule.

It's a lot of very dramatic noise, almost always to little effect.  That's especially the case here, where the votes were decided before the trial started.

A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing?

• Hook 'Em 2

There's been an early verdict submitted by a slate of alternate jurors regarding "The General."  After the Feds are done with his securities fraud stuff, and Nate and him are done flipping on one another for years...the sentence will be "El Bolito" and he'll never see it coming.  

Murr made a compelling legal argument based on a summary of the evidence. Not a moment of wasted time.

Leach made a compelling political argument based on a stark contrast between the Paxton they used to know, marked by "open doors" and mentorship, and the Paxton on trial today marked by "closed doors" for all except Nate Paul, as well as multiple levels of cover-ups, misdirection, and transparent lies.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

They're really getting a ton of milage from the defense's phrase "there are no coincidences in Austin"

Yeah, Rusty maybe Rusty, but the rest of the team was adapting on the fly and using Paxton's defense against him.

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Damn, this is the most clear and succinct that I've heard the evidence laid out. Helps when one side isn't constantly objecting.

I would have preferred Murr run things instead of Rusty, but as was said, Rusty doesn't have to worry about Paxton coming after him or trying to end his career, and Rusty probably played well to the older members of the legislature.

Edited by atomheartbevo

My guess is they either go until 5 p.m. today and then announce they are ready to vote... or they come in tomorrow morning, deliberate an hour or two and by 11 a.m. they are ready to vote. 

They don't want this to bleed into the weekend more than it has to.

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Yeah, Rusty maybe Rusty, but the rest of the team was adapting on the fly and using Paxton's defense against him.

I would have preferred Murr run things instead of Rusty, but as was said, Rusty doesn't have to worry about Paxton coming after him or trying to end his career, and Rusty probably played well to the older members of the legislature.

Murr is already knee deep in it as the lead in the House. I don't think that would be a concern.

12 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

only 1k likes worldwide in two hours? maybe just maybe the average voter doesn't give a shit about Paxton and won't hold any of the senators accountable for removing him.

Even the most MAGA people I know, who usually repost pro-maga shit like they are Russian bots, seem to be totally ignoring this. 

How exhausting must it be that EVERY SINGLE THING is not what it appears and instead is some conspiracy. No, there's no way Paxton had a shady business deal with someone... that's too obvious. Instead, the Bushes are mad about losing to Paxton and wanted Nate Paul's land so they went into the dark underbelly of Texas government and forced them to bring articles of impeachment.

Good lord.

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Somebody refresh my memory here -- how many votes do we need to convict? 21? There will be 29 votes, right, but the 2/3 percentage is taken as if all 30 were allowed to vote?

You're off by 1. There's 31 senators, one disqualified, so just 30 voters. He needs 10 of those 30 to skate.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Somebody refresh my memory here -- how many votes do we need to convict? 21? There will be 29 votes, right, but the 2/3 percentage is taken as if all 30 were allowed to vote?

There are 31 senators, Angela Paxton can't vote, so 30 are voting but it takes 21 votes to convict on any article.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Not that I'm aware of but I'm sure it won't take long to become a thing in the GQP socials

Not the phrase, but in the closing Buzbee alluded to the Bush dynasty and their hand in Texas politics.

40 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I think it was only a tweet. Did they actually use that phrase on the senate floor?

39 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Not that I'm aware of but I'm sure it won't take long to become a thing in the GQP socials

I don't think exactly but close.  Dick "Bronzer" Deguerin blamed the whole "witch hunt" (dink) on the "Bush Rinos" (drink) because the heir apparent lost the primary to Paxton by umpteen thousand votes proving the Paxton is innocent.

13 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I don't think exactly but close.  Dick "Bronzer" Deguerin blamed the whole "witch hunt" (dink) on the "Bush Rinos" (drink) because the heir apparent lost the primary to Paxton by umpteen thousand votes proving the Paxton is innocent.

I think Deguerin was a prosecutor, actually

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

whomever the orange dude was on the defense team

You'll have to be more specific.  Apparently a few years ago, a huge chunk of the GOP got a groupon for bronzer sessions.  And things just kinda got outta hand with both the generous definition of "unlimited visits" and proper elections.  The only guy who seems to have gotten more pale during all this is Dan Patrick but I'll attribute that to him not being allowed within 50 yards of a Claire's 

Edited by YGIFS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

You'll have to be more specific.  Apparently a few years ago, a huge chunk of the GOP got a groupon for bronzer sessions.  And things just kinda got outta hand with both the generous definition of "unlimited visits" and proper elections.  The only guy who seems to have gotten more pale during all this is Dan Patrick but I'll attribute that to him not being allowed within 50 yards of a Claire's 

Does he hang out with Roy Moore

29 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The one trying to do an impression of William Hurt in Body Heat with the slicked back hair.  

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

tumblr_n7edilpQoX1tr6yqoo3_500.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1