Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Really strange to see these fucks just straight up arguing that "well 4.2 million votes says kenneth paxton can do whatever he wants!"

It's the trumpist argument with a texas twang and the delivery of a sunday morning prosperity gospel preacher

I'm getting bored. This feels ad-libbed and ranty.

2 minutes ago, Teebox said:

Hate to say it but Buzbee is killing it 

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I'm getting bored. This feels ad-libbed and ranty.

Trial lawyer pro-tip:

Closing argument feels like the most dramatic, meaningful part of a trial. It's where everything you believe is all tied together into a truly compelling story.  You feel like Atticus motherfucking Finch making it sometimes.

It's also usually the most irrelevant part of a trial.  The percentage of jurors or judges who were going to vote one way before closing arguments, or were undecided, and then they decide/change their vote....is miniscule.

It's a lot of very dramatic noise, almost always to little effect.  That's especially the case here, where the votes were decided before the trial started.

• Hook 'Em 3

34 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's also usually the most irrelevant part of a trial.  The percentage of jurors or judges who were going to vote one way before closing arguments, or were undecided, and then they decide/change their vote....is miniscule.

I gave my last closing argument like my life and the outcome depended on it.  Nothing overly dramatic, but I put a shitload of time and energy into it, and for added pressure I had in-house counsel for my Fortune 500 client in town for the trial.  

When the trial was over, the jury foreman came to me to shake my hand and said quietly, "We were with you from the very beginning of the trial."  

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

lol, not supposed to report you superiors for illegal orders?  Dick would have been the perfect Nazi

I mean, circa 2017-18 conservatives got BIG MAD if you pointed out how much of their rhetoric and strategy is copped from the nazis. Hell, one year CPAC made their stage the shape of a nazi rune! The parallels have been numerous and deeply concerning for some time

2 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

I like this much better. Walking through each Article and summarizing actual testimony clips and evidence. You can see where he is, where he's headed, and why it's important. Don't feel like I'm being ranted at.

It's easier, because the facts are on his side.

The defense's job is to obfuscate and befuddle, because they don't have the facts.

loud-noises.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

It's easier, because the facts are on his side.

The defense's job is to obfuscate and befuddle, because they don't have the facts.

loud-noises.gif

Yes, but, counterpoint: we live in a post-truth, post-facts & evidence world.  Don't confront MAGAts with facts -- it only makes them angry.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes, but, counterpoint: we live in a post-truth, post-facts & evidence world.  Don't confront MAGAts with facts -- it only makes them angry.

But that goes back to the question of how we even got here in the first place. Why would House MAGAts have allowed this to happen if Senate MAGAts could corral 10 or more Nays on all Articles?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

But that goes back to the question of how we even got here in the first place. Why would House MAGAts have allowed this to happen if Senate MAGAts could corral 10 or more Nays on all Articles?

That's the $64,000 question, ain't it?  I find it hard to believe that the House would have even impeached if they hadn't already pre-counted the Senate votes....but in this fucking timeline, who knows?

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

We all know political positions are...fluid, but I agree with this.  At least when this process started, the House had to have done the math and thought it was in their favor.  Otherwise why go through the process.  Except for maybe it was the right thing to do.

hehe-lol.gif

• Drool 2

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

How long will the Senate "deliberate" to give everyone the impression that they carefully weighed all of the evidence and didn't make up their minds a month ago?  Till happy hour?

I believe they all get a turn with Paxton's mistress before they cast their vote, so that they can, ummm, evaluate all the "evidence."  Senate rule 839(A)(1)(g)(iii) says so.

So, yeah, a vote shortly after the lunch break.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I presume the vote happens once they have a quorum ready to vote, right?  They can't leave the door open for one of the Paxton 6 to lock themselves in and perpetually deliberate...

Lt Gov Patrick said he might sequester everyone until deliberations finish, which would make it hard to play those games