Kenny Paxton/Dave P's Impeachment Game Day Thread

atomheartbevo

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-politics/paid-paxton-influencers-impeachment/

My Brief Career as a Paid Pro-Paxton Propagandist

As the attorney general’s impeachment trial takes place, a shadowy group has mobilized an army of political influencers to support his acquittal. Our ethics laws aren’t keeping up.

Do you support Ken Paxton, the embattled and impeached Texas attorney general? Would you champion him online for, say, $50? That’s not just a theoretical question. Before the start of his impeachment trial this week, pro-Paxton political forces were paying for influencers to post on social media in support of the state’s top legal authority, who faces sixteen counts ranging from dereliction of official duty to bribery and conspiracy.

How do I know this? Because I signed up to be a social media influencer, and to my great surprise, I earned $50 for each of two posts. I received an email confirming payment on Tuesday morning, mere minutes after the state senators placed their hands on the “Sam Houston Bible” (which likely didn’t actually belong to Sam Houston) and took an oath to be impartial jurors.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Beyond the disorganized snoozefest of Rusty Hardin's direct, he was an incredibly weak witness, and a poor follow up to Bangert who was by all accounts very strong for the prosecution and handled Ralph Macchio's cross well.  While there was little substance to the testimony elicited from Vassar on cross, his meekness and inability to handle some of the questions won the defense a fair amount of style points, in my opinion.  And for jurors who get lost in the weeds and don't follow substance, style points can matter.

You keep saying "jurors" -- we're just talking about the senators who will vote yay or nay to convict Paxton, right? None of what is going on is going to change any of these jurors/senators minds minus some kind of outside influence -- money, political threat, etc. This is purely performative except for the handful of the public who might be watching this shit on TV and hasn't formulated an opinion. Paxton's fate is sealed one way or the other and has been for weeks/months save for some last-minute boffo deal from the West Texas Fuckheads.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

You keep saying "jurors" -- we're just talking about the senators who will vote yay or nay to convict Paxton, right? None of what is going on is going to change any of these jurors/senators minds minus some kind of outside influence -- money, political threat, etc. This is purely performative except for the handful of the public who might be watching this shit on TV and hasn't formulated an opinion. Paxton's fate is sealed one way or the other and has been for weeks/months save for some last-minute boffo deal from the West Texas Fuckheads.

I don't disagree, and I've actually used the term jurors in this thread with quotes.  Unless there's some huge bombshell of evidence nobody sees coming one way or another, I think that, yes, these senators have largely made up their minds before this trial started. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, chainsaw said:

Is this time counting against the defense? Why are we wasting time dissecting a missed Sarah Palin joke opportunity?

It's all they have left with Vassar.  Discrediting a witness is not an uncommon, or unwise, tactic.  But doing it by reading all of the sick burns in a text thread doesn't seem all that effective.

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

It's all they have left with Vassar.  Discrediting a witness is not an uncommon, or unwise, tactic.  But doing it by reading all of the sick burns in a text thread doesn't seem all that effective.

I understand that they are trying to smear the witness. My concern is that the meandering never-ending debate about the "Hmm emoji" is a tactic to deplete the House Managers' time.

1 minute ago, chainsaw said:

I understand that they are trying to smear the witness. My concern is that the meandering never-ending debate about the "Hmm emoji" is a tactic to deplete the House Managers' time.

If I understand normal trial time allocations, this cross should count against the defense's allotted 24 hours of trial time, not the prosecution's.

• Hook 'Em 1

Did I just hear that OAG plays favorites with reporters? First amendment violation?

1 minute ago, gernblansten said:

Seems odd to hear a lawyer testifying about conversations he's had with his attorney about potential claims to assert in an employment action. 

best and brightest

This entire trial just seems so weird. Defense doesn't say shit about Paxton to prove nothing happened. Prosecution barely touches on the charges against Paxton. Seems like prosecutors have done some work on the entire foreclosure memo... but nothing more.

Letterhead!

I know all these lawyers and they have had very successful careers no doubt. But, the prosecution attorneys are past their prime and Buzbee is so full of himself that he can’t see he looks like an idiot half the time. 
I haven’t watched a second of it and don’t intend to. I already know Paxton is is POS. 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I love how Mitch keeps referring to how Paxton got 4 million votes, like his election allows him to do whatever the fuck he wants. 

Which is even more quizzical considering the "jury" are all elected officials who know being elected doesn't mean you can do whatever the fuck you want.  

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

If Paxton survives this trial, there is a 0.0% chance he gets primaried. The base loves him, he can’t be beaten.

And that’s why there are so many powerful interests trying to exert pressure behind the scenes to convict. Other than straight up MAGA nuts and the west Texas oilfield billionaires they all want him gone and they know there is no challenger that can get the votes to do it in a primary 

6 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Did they figure out who changed the letterhead and assuming they did does that mean the trial is over?

Well the prosecution brought up a document without Paxton's name on the letterhead... signed by Paxton.

So there goes the basis of the coup attempt. 

5 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Well the prosecution brought up a document without Paxton's name on the letterhead... signed by Paxton.

Clearly the conspiracy against Paxton goes farther up than we knew. They got him to commit a coup against himself!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Everyone knows that this is the case.  Even defense counsel. There are multiple letterheads.  So what.  I am surprised they are hanging so much of the defense on this given (1) it doesn't clear Paxton, and (2) if I ws sending something accusint the AG, I'd pick the letterhead without his name on it, too.  If it had his name on it, that leads to a different line of questioning: "How can you send something with AG's name on it that he didn't sign off on!"

This guy should be a star witness. According to one of the briefs filed by House Managers:

Maxwell, a decorated former Texas Ranger, warned Paxton to run, not walk away from Paul. Paul was involved in “a Ponzi scheme that would make Billie Sol Estes envied,” Maxwell said.

https://senate.texas.gov/_assets/coi/docs/House-Managers-Response-to-No-Evidence-MSJ-Part-II-FINAL-20230815.pdf