Delta Sky Club: Poors gtfo

RPM

This week, Delta Air Lines announced sweeping changes to frequent-flier perks that will start in 2024. While the airline says its revamped system has “simplified” the SkyMiles program for repeat customers, it’s actually dealing a significant blow to the middle class of travelers, inciting outrage on social media and promises from some to quit flying Delta altogether.

In a Tuesday announcement, the Atlanta-based airline detailed how it would make it much more difficult to earn coveted Medallion status. Simultaneously, it plans to take away unlimited access for American Express cardholders to its Sky Club lounges, some of the swankiest in the United States.

The array of changes includes how fliers earn Delta frequent-flier status. An annual spending requirement — what the airline calls “Medallion Qualifying Dollars” (MQDs) — will now become the sole elite metric. Starting Jan. 1, Delta is also massively increasing requirements — in some cases doubling the amount of money customers had to spend to achieve the same elite level this year.

Under the new conditions, to hit the entry-level Delta Silver Medallion tier, a traveler would need $6,000 in MQDs, up from $3,000 today. And to reach top-tier Diamond Medallion status? Well, that would require an eye-watering $35,000 in MQDs, a 75 percent increase from the current $20,000 threshold.

Delta’s elite status isn’t the only thing getting a giant overhaul. Starting in February 2025, the airline will begin to restrict Amex cardholders from its swanky Sky Clubs — limiting entries to up to 10 per year.

There’s no softening this one: A move away from unlimited entry is a massive downgrade from unlimited Sky Club access, a long-standing premium credit card perk that both Amex and Delta heavily advertised to cardholders.

For years, Amex touted its Global Lounge Collection, which includes Centurion Lounges and Delta Sky Clubs, as the “largest in the world.” Platinum cardholders have access to more than 1,400 airport lounges across 140 countries, American Express says. In the process of acquiring more customers, the supply of lounge space couldn’t keep up with demand.

Amex and Delta are essentially victims of their own success. Now, we may be finally seeing the end result, reverting back to a time when these pre-departure spaces were more exclusive.

Under the new rules, travelers with the popular $695-per-year Amex Platinum, for instance, will only receive six entries to Sky Clubs per year when traveling on the airline.

The one exception to all of this? Spending a cool $75,000 on the card in a calendar year grants you continuous access for the rest of that year and the following year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2023/09/15/delta-changes-miles-lounges-status-hackers/

I mentioned this briefly in the airline travel thread but I'm a Delta loyalist and status holder, as well as a Delta Reserve Card member. I'll be canceling my card after I fly my companion pass. It's just not worth it.

I have the Reseve card for the Skyclub access and BOGO airline ticket but there's no benefit to flying Delta now. I have PP status with American Airlines and will just fly with them full-time as I already use their card for my daily spending.

6 hours ago, RPM said:

This week, Delta Air Lines announced sweeping changes to frequent-flier perks that will start in 2024. While the airline says its revamped system has “simplified” the SkyMiles program for repeat customers, it’s actually dealing a significant blow to the middle class of travelers, inciting outrage on social media and promises from some to quit flying Delta altogether.

In a Tuesday announcement, the Atlanta-based airline detailed how it would make it much more difficult to earn coveted Medallion status. Simultaneously, it plans to take away unlimited access for American Express cardholders to its Sky Club lounges, some of the swankiest in the United States.

The array of changes includes how fliers earn Delta frequent-flier status. An annual spending requirement — what the airline calls “Medallion Qualifying Dollars” (MQDs) — will now become the sole elite metric. Starting Jan. 1, Delta is also massively increasing requirements — in some cases doubling the amount of money customers had to spend to achieve the same elite level this year.

Under the new conditions, to hit the entry-level Delta Silver Medallion tier, a traveler would need $6,000 in MQDs, up from $3,000 today. And to reach top-tier Diamond Medallion status? Well, that would require an eye-watering $35,000 in MQDs, a 75 percent increase from the current $20,000 threshold.

Delta’s elite status isn’t the only thing getting a giant overhaul. Starting in February 2025, the airline will begin to restrict Amex cardholders from its swanky Sky Clubs — limiting entries to up to 10 per year.

There’s no softening this one: A move away from unlimited entry is a massive downgrade from unlimited Sky Club access, a long-standing premium credit card perk that both Amex and Delta heavily advertised to cardholders.

For years, Amex touted its Global Lounge Collection, which includes Centurion Lounges and Delta Sky Clubs, as the “largest in the world.” Platinum cardholders have access to more than 1,400 airport lounges across 140 countries, American Express says. In the process of acquiring more customers, the supply of lounge space couldn’t keep up with demand.

Amex and Delta are essentially victims of their own success. Now, we may be finally seeing the end result, reverting back to a time when these pre-departure spaces were more exclusive.

Under the new rules, travelers with the popular $695-per-year Amex Platinum, for instance, will only receive six entries to Sky Clubs per year when traveling on the airline.

The one exception to all of this? Spending a cool $75,000 on the card in a calendar year grants you continuous access for the rest of that year and the following year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2023/09/15/delta-changes-miles-lounges-status-hackers/

For the spending, you get 1 MQD for every $10 on the AMEX Delta Reserve and 1 MQD for every $20 with the other AMEX Delta cards.  So, trying to do it entirely by spending is damn hard - That's $120K of spending to get to just Silver potentially.

This move will make me reconsider Delta. I have been Diamond for years with both mileage and money spend requirements. All of this is courtesy of business travel. Last year, when they raised the money spend amount, I got a Delta card for personal spend since getting to the new milestone money wise by business travel would be marginal. Now with them raising the amount again, well, I just don’t know.

I am a million miler plus on Delta. I am sitting around 700k with American for lifetime. It would take me a year to reestablish my status on American.

I have never had to wait to get into a club either.

Edited by mininghorn88

This move will make me reconsider Delta. I have been Diamond for years with both mileage and money spend requirements. All of this is courtesy of business travel. Last year, when they raised the money spend amount, I got a Delta card for personal spend since getting to the new milestone money wise by business travel would be marginal. Now with them raising the amount again, well, I just don’t know.
I am a million miler plus on Delta. I am sitting around 700k with American for lifetime. It would take me a year to reestablish my status on American.
I have never had to wait to get into a club either.
You can do a status match with AA or enter a status pass. I did that last December and am PP on American. I would enjoy AA more but none of their domestic routes have IFE. I'll be damned if I'm watching stuff from my phone.

With ATL as home base I’m pretty much beholden to Delta. This has caused quite the blowback so far but I’m waiting for the dust to settle. I’m Platinum and already Platinum for next year, so I’ll keep my Reserve
AMEX card for Skyclub access through 2024 and then wait and see what they do.

They’ve already said that you will keep Skyclub access if you spend $75K per year on the CC (a number my wife laughs at) so I’m more interested in what happens with medallion status. I get pretty frequent Comfort+ and occasional First upgrades even living in Atlanta where everyone has some level of status.

But this is what the Skyclub complainers wanted. They bitched about crowded Skyclubs and now they bitch that Delta has done something about it. It’s a bit of a FAFO moment.

• Like 1

Isn't Delta just doing what AA and United have already done?  AA did this a year or so ago and it helped me out because I have literally almost everything tired to my AA Citibank card.  

Also, as for the lounges, I almost never do them because I don't have a lot of time in an airport but the last time I was in CLT, there was literally a 10-20 person line to get into the Admirals Club there.  If you're in an airport with decent food options, what's the point?

8 hours ago, Incredulity said:

1.) Jumbo Shrimp

2.) anything that provides "free" food and alcohol unleashes the kraken.  Its ridiculous.

At DFW, I prefer Pappadeaux if I have time to kill.  Decent food by airport standards and no one seems to know it's there so it's rarely busy.  Much better than option #2 above.

Every Centurion Club is packed to the gills. I can imagine the Delta Sky Clubs have been any better. I wish they’d cut back access to both (looking at you family of six that takes over three couches).
/oldmanrant 
Amex has already cut Centurion access. I haven't had any issues getting in the past few times.

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
On 9/17/2023 at 9:17 AM, Rudiger said:
Every Centurion Club is packed to the gills. I can imagine the Delta Sky Clubs have been any better. I wish they’d cut back access to both (looking at you family of six that takes over three couches).
/oldmanrant 

Amex has already cut Centurion access. I haven't had any issues getting in the past few times.

It was busy as fuck yesterday at DFW. 

There seems to be more outrage about this than when AA and UA did the same thing.  I saw some article that referred to Delta as a "premium airline" and I was like, WTF?  When did that start?  I fly Delta like once every five years and I always have problems for some reason.  I know their metrics are good but I always seem to have problems and their planes are on the old side.

I find it hard to believe these policies will all actually go into effect in 2025 as presently listed.

Delta has too many empty lounges today to justify the new 10 visit max. My prediction is this in particular will be modified, perhaps unlimited with the higher annual AMEX spend but also unlimited for those with gold medallion status or higher.

I also don’t think Delta is going to win business like they think from business travelers who they want to book hotels and car rentals through their Expedia-powered “portal.” If they think I and millions of others are going to forego the ability to use corporate rates and/or earn better direct benefits from Hilton/Marriott/National etc… just to obtain Delta MQD’s, they are outta their damn minds.

On 9/22/2023 at 8:47 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

There seems to be more outrage about this than when AA and UA did the same thing.  I saw some article that referred to Delta as a "premium airline" and I was like, WTF?  When did that start?  I fly Delta like once every five years and I always have problems for some reason.  I know their metrics are good but I always seem to have problems and their planes are on the old side.

AA and UA haven’t put caps on lounge visits. I think that's a big one that has folks pissed off at DL.

• Like 1

For me Delta has top lounges overall across network. I support this change as sometimes they are super crowded. My biggest reasons for using a club are

A) get away from the stupid, loud, incessant gate announcements for shit 900 fucking gates away.

B) Booze

C) I can leave bag when I go to restroom and not be worried about it getting stolen etc

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I was coming here to post on this...got an email from Delta...an "Oops, we know we fucked up.  So, to bring morale up, we're having a pizza party!" kind of email.

Didn't look like they changed a whole lot but maybe it'll shut up some of the hate mail I'm sure they've been receiving.

Got an email from British Airways this morning...

Looks like they're joining everyone in changing the way their rewards are earned...

As an Executive Club Member, from 18 October 2023 you now collect Avios on British Airways-marketed flights based on the price of your ticket instead of the distance you fly.

Edited by Ag with kids

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2023 at 8:47 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

Yeah your intel is outdated by a dozen years.  Delta is by far and away superior to AA and UA and its not even close.  If you havent flown Delta but 1 x in 5 years, then you are missing out and any negative experience is anecdotal.  I fly Delta often times 4 times in a week, connecting through ATL to IAD, DCA and various other southeast regional cities.  When I go west, i use AA.  There is a non-stop flight to Tampa and or Houston on United from my home airport and I avoid them like the plague.  No question about it Delta reigns supreme in customer service. and overall flight experience.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1