WTF is wrong with you Loving County (election shenanignans)

Nice Guy Eddie

We all know Loving County because it's the smallest population county in Texas and the US: 65 residents. 

The Chronicle has an exposé on while Loving County only has those 65 residents, there are 110 registered voters. That would be like Harris County having 7.9m voters for the 4.7m residents.

The discrepancy in Loving are former residents who claim that Loving is their home even if they rarely visit. One of these residents lives in Fort Worth and openly admits that she visits Loving a couple of times per year especially on election days.

The story reads like several families are always in fights about power and now the county is overrun with oil wealth. The county judge is currently awaiting trial for cattle rustling.

My main take is that we shouldn't allow a county to exist with 65 or 110 residents. Consolidate it with other counties.

Haven't read the article, but I know first hand that many of those very wealthy "residents" list their address in loving county as some shack on somebody's land that doesn't have water or electricity. One particular two room shack with no water or electricity had six people living in it, supposedly. Six very wealthy people who own homes in places like Lubbock or Dallas.

At its heart, this is all about one oil rich ranching family vs another oil rich ranching family getting their county judge and county commissioners elected. Positions in a county with a population of 65 which earn salaries around 50K.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Must be a very high tax burden for that few people to fund those salaries. 

in Texas, don’t you have to claim residence at the property in which you have a homestead exemption?

Few people with lots of land with lots of oil leases. Property taxes fund those positions.

And since the county judge is related to half the county, literally, they don't mind paying that high salary. In fact, a lawsuit was filed by one of the families trying to get enough of those out of county voters disqualified to overturn the election, and have a do-over.

As for your second sentence, I don't really know, but I know that people residing (by any definition of the word "residing") elsewhere voted in the last election as if they were residents of Loving County.