San Antonio Spurs '23-'24: Hoops, Hype, Hair Dye

ztejas

6 minutes ago, gofuckyourself said:

Lots of room for improvement but I thought for long stretches they really played well together.

Vassell or Wemby need to be the focal point end of 4th. Johnson is not a one-on-one take control type of player.

Yes webby got hot and kj tried to take over 

Just now, Coach pop a bitch said:

Yes wemby got hot and kj tried to take over 

That looked a lot like the games that they were competitive in last season, honestly.  Play hard, keep it close, trip over own dick in crunch time, watch helplessly as superstar delivers kill shot. They are going to have to learn how to win and close out games and they don’t have any vets to lean on. Baptism by fire, it is. 

Also, on Dallas… I was iffy on Lively before the draft because you couldn’t tell anything from his injury riddled session at Duke. But I really liked what I saw from him in summer league. Super active, athletic, crashes the boards, can really run the floor and move. You could tell that he was going to be good after about two minutes and having Luka and Kyrie as running mates is perfect for him. Williams is another great signing for them for all the dirty work he does. It’s going to be a shame to watch Kyrie burn it all down. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

NBA officiating is so fucking bad. They can't just hang back and let giant grown men hash it out on the court and call the egregious stuff on both sides. They have to nickel and dime one team and let the other get away with assault and battery. I'll never understand what's so fucking hard about calling obvious stuff and letting smalls stuff go every single time. 

Refs took Wemby out of the game with 2 bullshit calls out of the first 4 he got. Other than that the offense was great at times, mediocre at others, but the defense was pretty damn horrendous. Hopefully it's just first game over exuberance but a lot of stupid over rotating as well as completely missed rotations. Lot of falling for dumb fakes and hesitation dribbles. It looks like defensively it will take a long time to get it locked in as a team but once Wemby starts getting super star ref treatment that will help a lot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Well, that was a fun game to attend, until the last minute or so. Keldon playing Hero Ball is not what this team needs. He played well most of the game, but choked it away at the end.

Wemby is truly special. Sucked that he got all those fouls, and I think he's just easing into things, but he started to look really comfortable in the 4th. That And 1 he had was the loudest I've heard that arena in a long time.

It's gonna be a fun season. Frustrating at times, for sure, but fun.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, BurgleBro said:

The late game offense Def ground to a halt once Sochan subbed for him. 

Yeah it’s obvious this team needs a true point guard, not sure why Pop gave the keys to Sochan but hes not a ball handler, stops his dribble way to much and doesn’t see the floor, but he moves well off the ball and has developed a shot to be able to space the floor. 

I think you make KJ your 6 man, move Sochan to the 3 and let Tre handle it or find yourself a good point guard. 

This is such a different incarnation than the two previous “legacy big man” iterations for the Spurs. They seem to be ok letting a group of young kids figure it out rather than bringing in veteran leadership like they did with David. Tim came into a veteran team so he didn’t have to take on that burden his first few years. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong as the league is much different than it was, but it is going to be interesting. I wouldn’t mind a “Avery” type of leader at the point that can show them how to win in the 4th quarter. I have a feeling they are going to struggle to close out games for a good chunk of the season.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hate said:

This is such a different incarnation than the two previous “legacy big man” iterations for the Spurs. They seem to be ok meeting a group of young kids figure it out rather than bringing in veteran leadership like they did with David. Tim came into a veteran team so he didn’t have to take on that burden his first few years. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong as the league is much different than it was, but it is going to be interesting. I wouldn’t mind a “Avery” type of leader at the point that can show them how to win in the 4th quarter. I have a feeling they are going to struggle to close out games for a good chunk of the season.

You're spot on, I was genuinely surprised when I viewed the final roster and noticed the lack of long time veteran players that were always a staple of the Spurs' rosters in the past. I was even more surprised to see Pop utilizing Sochan as a PG, never saw that coming.

7 hours ago, hornfan785 said:

Well, that was a fun game to attend, until the last minute or so. Keldon playing Hero Ball is not what this team needs. He played well most of the game, but choked it away at the end.

Wemby is truly special. Sucked that he got all those fouls, and I think he's just easing into things, but he started to look really comfortable in the 4th. That And 1 he had was the loudest I've heard that arena in a long time.

It's gonna be a fun season. Frustrating at times, for sure, but fun.

Keldon was important for staying in the game in the 3rd Quarter but he needed to recognize that late 4th Quarter was Wemby Time.

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

I know what they’re doing, letting Jeremy grow into the role, letting Wemby get familiar with his teammates; the smart and patient approach. Unfortunately, I’m impatient as fuck. 

I definitely like what i saw from Tre Jones a little better. He seems to understand how to get Wemby the ball when he is running the floor, he had the great outlet pass that led to the and-1 dunk.

Edited by Pam Cummings

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

I know what they’re doing, letting Jeremy grow into the role, letting Wemby get familiar with his teammates; the smart and patient approach. Unfortunately, I’m impatient as fuck. 

They're definitely still feeling out how this is going to work.

At several points Wemby had released downcourt and had anyone just hurled it to him it would've been a bucket or foul.

I was reminded of playing basketball in the 6th grade against some guy who had already had his growth spurt. The offensive strategy was lifted from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Throw it up high to Chief and he can drop it in and slowly walk back.

They did toss it ahead in the 4th quarter for the dunk and foul. So I'm sure some in-game communication there got that going.

Another time Wemby was posted up and didn't get an entry pass, so he did an insanely fast spin move to the basket and left his guy in the wind. Had it been thrown up anywhere near the rim it was a dunk or foul, minimally.

Those kind of "connection" plays will happen with more time together.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

Any chance pop can get rid of Collins. I hate his game

That was a bit rough for him last night. We just extended his contract a few days ago, so good luck with that, but he did look bad in spots. Throwing up 3s that didn't look confident at all, we were outrebounded when it counted most, and he got frustrated somewhere in the 3rd where you could tell he was losing his cool. He'll have to settle back down into his role as the 4th or 5th option. 

13 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

That looked a lot like the games that they were competitive in last season, honestly.

It did but the buckets Wemby had late felt different. And I think the results will start to be different as these guys learn to play with each other. 

The Keldon shit late is inexcusable. He had a nice game - but he should be no higher than our 3rd option to close games. And that isn't all on him - Pop needs to set the standard and DV and Wemby need to step up and take the reins (which doesn't appear to be an issue at all with Wemby).

How many games they win will be dependent on how quickly they mesh and how good Wemby really is. We aren't going 20-62 - but we might win 28 or we might win 36. Too early to tell. If Wemby stays out of foul trouble we could have easily won last night.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1