Rolling Stone Top Guitarists Thread of Clickbait

sidis

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Declan is such a good dude.

That's refreshing to hear.  I only got turned onto Elvis C because I bought a used car from a guy and he had left one of his CDs  in the stereo.  So I listened to it on the 45min drive home (screw local FM) and decided to leave it in for a while... not my fav, but fits certain moods. Probably still have the disc in a drawer somewhere.

I mean, if you will recall from the Guitar thread when we were listing our top three we coupd play like the other day, I had Slash as my number one. And I am totally fine with him being 100 ish on this list.

I really have to say for RS, this was not nearly as egregious as usual. I didn't read the whole thing, but the biggest robberies I can see are Charlie Christian and James Burton. Should both be top 5 easy to me.

I didn't look to see where Glen Campbell was though, that could be another.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm not going to bother trying with the Jack White shit anymore. I had no idea there were so many more accomplished virtuousos posting on Surly. 

I'll just piss all of you off instead by saying I think EVH's music sucks. 

Jim Carrey Relax GIF by Team Coco

Edited by ztejas

23 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Y'all can shit on Slash, incorrectly,

I don't know what the Surly guitar-nerd take is on Slash but Appetite for Destruction is one of the best guitar albums I've ever heard. I'd give him a spot in the top 100 somewhere based on that alone. 

On 10/20/2023 at 12:45 PM, jimmyjazz said:

I saw him at the Back Yard maybe 15 years ago, definite bucket list concert.  SO many great songs.

Elvis Costello was my first real touring concert, in Austin, 1981, with The Attractions. They put on a great show, still doing all the band's classic hits and a few of his new weirder stuff from Imperial Bedroom. The internet says "Opry House" but it was then called City Coliseum or Palmer Auditorium, or whatever it was. Basically a big gymnasium, but it worked. 

5 minutes ago, DougO said:

Elvis Costello was my first real touring concert, in Austin, 1981, with The Attractions. They put on a great show, still doing all the band's classic hits and a few of his new weirder stuff from Imperial Bedroom. The internet says "Opry House" but it was then called City Coliseum or Palmer Auditorium, or whatever it was. Basically a big gymnasium, but it worked. 

OK, I guess it was 82, the Coliseum. 

I'm not sure what it has to do with the shitty Rolling Stones list, though.

8 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Y'all can shit on Slash, incorrectly, but there's absolutely not 109 better guitarists than Lindsey Buckingham, and if you disagree, you're wrong and I'll fight you.....bro is so good he said fuck the pick 

Buckingham isn't even the best guitarist from Fleetwood Mac.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, G650 said:

Don't get me wrong, Lindsay is a top 5 all time songwriter for me. Monday Morning is probably my favorite Mac song.

But he isn't Peter Green

You can have your own incorrect opinion regarding Buckingham and Green, but are there 109 better guitarists than Buckingham? Fuck no, I mean he's better than fucking Slash for God's sake....wait, fuck, this business will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it

How is Jerry Garcia all the way down at 34? He could play like all of the others ahead of him on that list, but none of them could play the way he  did. Jerry Garcia is the GOAT!

I’ve heard reports of sarcasm meters being affected by recent sunspot activity. I’m not sure if mine is on the fritz.

I do hope it’s the sunspot thing….
  • Haha 1

I’ve heard reports of sarcasm meters being affected by recent sunspot activity. I’m not sure if mine is on the fritz.

I do hope it’s the sunspot thing….

I couldn’t be more serious. Maybe you should check some out and tell me what other guitar players could play that way…totally improvising every song every night.

On 10/19/2023 at 4:32 PM, tbone_ said:

This is an interesting point. And is sort of along the lines of my argument as to why Stevie should be at or near the top of any list - he took a style that pretty much every rock guitarist since the beginning of ever has played or tried to play and did it to a level that no one else can even sniff, which to me absolutely puts him at or near the top of the very very short list.

By that same argument, EVH makes the same very very short list for me because of precisely the opposite reasons - he never tried to play anything anyone else had ever played. Easily the most original rock guitarist ever.

Those are my 1 and 2.

Well Put. I would round this out with Hendrix in a three way tie for first. 

I could live with this.

But if you hooked me up to a lie detector, I’d tell you Stevie is a better guitar player than Jimi. Maybe he didn’t have the world changing effect that Jimi did and I get that. But when it comes to just playing the instrument, he was better. It’s true.

41 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I could live with this.

But if you hooked me up to a lie detector, I’d tell you Stevie is a better guitar player than Jimi. Maybe he didn’t have the world changing effect that Jimi did and I get that. But when it comes to just playing the instrument, he was better. It’s true.

I guess it's not technically a lie if you are wrong.

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I could live with this.

I don't know if Stevie was better, but I know I enjoy listening to him more.

• Like 1

But jimi does get a nudge for creating them.  

ps- noticed this in wiki when I went to make sure jimi wrote/created both:

Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" was developed from "Voodoo Chile", recorded May 2, 1968, during a studio jam with Steve Winwood on organ and Jack Casady on bass.[6

steve winwood’s fingerprints are all over the place. 

On 10/21/2023 at 7:54 PM, G650 said:

I mean, if you will recall from the Guitar thread when we were listing our top three we coupd play like the other day, I had Slash as my number one. And I am totally fine with him being 100 ish on this list.

I really have to say for RS, this was not nearly as egregious as usual. I didn't read the whole thing, but the biggest robberies I can see are Charlie Christian and James Burton. Should both be top 5 easy to me.

I didn't look to see where Glen Campbell was though, that could be another.

I'm guessing Jerry Reed didn't make the list.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

He set the standard, to be sure.  I'm just more of a SRV/EVH fan.

I mean, personally, I'm not some mega fan of any if them. The only one I have in my daily background playlist is actually SRV's The House is a Rockin in fact. But Jimi Hendrix was a fucking mutant. Nothing is remotely close to what he did.

Just now, Deej said:

I'm guessing Jerry Reed didn't make the list.

I didn't look but he should have

• Hook 'Em 1