Politically charged altercations at Whataburger

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Agree, I am not sure that a bipolar spectrum really captures well.  It's like there are at least 3 or 4 different dimensions in play. 

i've said it before. the political spectrum is a ring. on the bottom of the ring are the centrists. on the right, republicans, left, democrats. then as it circles back around to the back, it's the fucking crazies. once you get crazy enough, you become virtually indistinguishable from each other. tat's a big part of trump's support. it does include the racists, but it also includes the alex jones types and the militia weirdos.

edited to add, antifa and anarchists are back there near the crazy back end as well, just on the left side. one day i'll draw a diagram.

Edited by hayden_horn

Trump's base is a combination of racists (not nearly a majority but this is obviously who they support) and anti-libtards. They absolutely aren't conservatives in any sense. His base has cheered his government intervention in the economy and given a complete pass to his completely ineffectual leadership on other issues such as health care, etc. The passes are given because he says "IT'S ALL THE EVIL LIBERALS' FAULT" and they lap it up.

He is the pinnacle, to this point, of team politics. There are zero principles involved.

Edited by Huckleberry

It's not all racism.  We've discussed this before, on more appropriate threads (no Whataburger) . . . single issue (abortion) voters are a significant, if silent, part of his base.  And, the 401K voters as stated above.

I have no doubt that the majority are racists, though.  Most probably have "black friends".

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The ideological spectrum is so warped right now. 

Like, where exactly do the Trump base supporters fall on the ideological spectrum? 

They’re certainly not conservatives.

The Authoritarian Right.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

This is a pretty bad beatdown at this point. Three posters trying to dogpile jimmyjazz at this point and not a single one of you can come up with a single example of his supposed far-left ideas?

"Oh we could do that, but we don't want to."

Hardly a dogpile in this joint, but let’s overreact. Such is the playcall of the left these days.

Not that jimmyjazz did...but holy fuck, people be ganging up on lefties...

I know what he negs and comments on.  So does he.

Grow a sack or STFU. Don’t pull punches and then play coy.  That is bitchassery. 

Edited by slorch

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

Hardly a dogpile in this joint, but let’s overreact. Such is the playcall of the left these days.

Grow a sack or STFU. Don’t pull punches and then play coy.  That is bitchassery. 

Negging is for beta cucks and incels.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, slorch said:

You again completely fail to address the point. It's pitiful. Everyone can see that it's not because you won't but rather that you can't back up your claims about him. And the best part is that you just called yourself a bitchass. You pulled a punch and now you're playing coy instead of admitting that you can't back it up.

You're also another moron to add to the list who assumes I'm on the left because I disagree with you, even though we just finished a discussion about that silliness. Awesome.

29 minutes ago, slorch said:

Yeah, I provided you a list of "left-ish" and "not so left-ish" issues just a few hours ago.  Crickets.

I think it would probably be better to let this drop, because dislike for posters (as opposed to what's being said) is cluttering everything up.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think it would probably be better to let this drop, because dislike for posters (as opposed to what's being said) is cluttering everything up.

It's amazing how people let politics rot their fucking brains. 

ydA6Iev.png

I know we've gotten super off topic in this thread (like most Surly politics threads), but posting this because I don't want to back out of what I said earlier.  @OatmealRaisinCookie, can you spell out for me which letter of ~GLBT~ is just a sin (at best, of course) and which is a mental illness? I have some hunches, but I'd really like to know directly from a centrist's own words.

6 hours ago, phdhorn said:

I think the Founders would shit their pants, clean it up, read it again, and shit them again if they saw 1) how much Federal power has exponentially increased since the founding, and 2) how much power specifically has been usurped by the President (Executive Branch) since then.  (The Constitution clearly lays out the idea that the Legislative Branch would be the most powerful branch of government, because it was the most deliberative and mass-minded, and therefore most resistant to knee-jerk government and very slow to change, or worse, too much power into to few people).

I honestly think that even the big Federalist hawks like Washington, Adams, and Hamilton would have their minds blown (cue gif) at the scope of how power has shifted today.

That's why the founders favored a written Constitution as opposed to the unwritten, living Constitution the Brits had, to constrain power and have a transparent document that the people could rally around when the State runs amok.  It's sad to see some just claim it's just a "piece of paper".  

The irony is that both sides have ceded so much power to the executive in the name of politics that it has left that power to a President that scares the living shit out of many. 

10 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

ydA6Iev.png

I know we've gotten super off topic in this thread (like most Surly politics threads), but posting this because I don't want to back out of what I said earlier.  @OatmealRaisinCookie, can you spell out for me which letter of ~GLBT~ is just a sin (at best, of course) and which is a mental illness? I have some hunches, but I'd really like to know directly from a centrist's own words.

This is easy.  2 hot females banging = just a sin.  Everything else = mental illness

/sarcasm

On 7/9/2018 at 9:10 AM, wildcat09 said:

Trumpfans don't get to call anyone else child abusers. In addition to supporting kidnapping immigrant children and holding them hostage for ransom, the GOP is the party that supported Roy Moore and supports Jim Jordan. It's probably more likely that the majority of elected GOP representatives at this point are child abusers than not.

No...we support telling kids & their parents to visit one of our COUNTLESS American embassies...that you passed on the way to arriving illegally at the US border. 

We don't support 'laws' like sanctuary cities that encourage & give hope to people who come here illegally.   If they stay home...nothing bad happens to them here.  If they go to a US embassy it saves them a dangerous trip, time in jail, and separation from their families.  

I'm not going to rehash Roy Moore...but 20+ year old, unsubstantiated allegations...that realistically no one could defend against in the court of public opinion.  

Nor will I give credence to the 'out of the blue' (literally out of the #BlueWave) allegations that come as Jordan becomes a front runner for GOP House leader.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, XR4ticlone said:

No...we support telling kids & their parents to visit one of our COUNTLESS American embassies...that you passed on the way to arriving illegally at the US border. 

We don't support 'laws' like sanctuary cities that encourage & give hope to people who come here illegally.   If they stay home...nothing bad happens to them here.  If they go to a US embassy it saves them a dangerous trip, time in jail, and separation from their families.  

I'm not going to rehash Roy Moore...but 20+ year old, unsubstantiated allegations...that realistically no one could defend against in the court of public opinion.  

Nor will I give credence to the 'out of the blue' (literally out of the #BlueWave) allegations that come as Jordan becomes a front runner for GOP House leader.  

My chances of becoming Speaker of the House are better than Jim Jordan's.

16 minutes ago, XR4ticlone said:

Lolz

10 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I’ll try to be as clear as I can be and give you the best answer I’m capable of that articulates my truth, even though I suspect you have your heart hardened and have already decided I am wrong or hateful or whatever.

I think that people of LGB are born with either a) some sort of genetic component/gene that compels, chemically/hormones/mental conception/perception, into desiring the same sex (or both or neither as asexual people go). I believe that acting upon said impulses is sinful. Just as acting upon the impulse for an alcoholic to drink to licentiousness, despite his genetic inclination. I think all sin is equal and the sin in question is no better or worse than anything I do on a daily basis.

when it comes to T, I believe there is an overwhelming genetic disorder/syndrome component at play with respect to dysmorphia, etc.

in both instances there are minority’s that engage in mental illness that use these things for fulfillment 

Seems familiar.  What was you ur username on the old site?

21 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Draw what line? Where? You're inventing a bogeyman and then asking me why I'm being a bogeyman.

I do not want the government interfering with speech and I don't know of any leftist movements to get the government to interfere with speech.

I am curious what it is you think you're seeing from the left.

Sending them back takes resources.

Also, they're human beings worthy of dignity, freedom, rights, and a chance to succeed.

Try entering any other country in the world without documentation and see how much freedom you’re granted. 

Fucking idiot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XR4ticlone said:

It's quite stunning how ignorant you are of US law.

2 hours ago, Jim Tom Pinch said:

Try entering any other country in the world without documentation and see how much freedom you’re granted. 

Fucking idiot.

You should know their comeback to this is, "We are supposed to be better than them", "Why are you comparing us to them?", "Do you want us to be like them?", etc.

43 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

You should know their comeback to this is, "We are supposed to be better than them", "Why are you comparing us to them?", "Do you want us to be like them?", etc.

libs with their shitty, "America should be a good nation" bullshit, am I right?

15 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

i've said it before. the political spectrum is a ring. on the bottom of the ring are the centrists. on the right, republicans, left, democrats. then as it circles back around to the back, it's the fucking crazies. once you get crazy enough, you become virtually indistinguishable from each other. tat's a big part of trump's support. it does include the racists, but it also includes the alex jones types and the militia weirdos.

edited to add, antifa and anarchists are back there near the crazy back end as well, just on the left side. one day i'll draw a diagram.

You mean like this diagram 

CBCB32D5-3CBD-4FF9-B4AA-168341DA36E0_zps

Also known as the great ideological horseshoe 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz