Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

LEFT FIELDERS

Lourdes Gurriel Jr. (30 years old, 3.2 WAR)
Joc Pederson (32, 2.7)
Tommy Pham (36, 2.5)
David Peralta (36, 1.8)
Michael Brantley (37, 1.4)
Joey Gallo (30, 1.4)
Travis Jankowski (33, 1.0)
Jurickson Profar (31, 0.6)
Jordan Luplow (30, 0.5)
Eddie Rosario (32, 0.2)
Robbie Grossman (34, 0.1)
Corey Dickerson (35, -0.2)
Ben Gamel (32, -0.2)
AJ Pollock (36, -0.4)
Austin Meadows (30, -0.5)

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

player to be named later has to better these numbers to justify his salary / expense vs. a league min player …

Career Regular Season

AB AVG HR RBI SB OPS
298 .245 6 33 15 .649

maybe we can morph the two into one player ?

AB AVG HR RBI SB OPS
605 .235 17 76 10

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I'm surprised Dubon wasn't mentioned there. I'm guessing Chas, Dubon and Meyers will platoon CF. Chas should take all the LF starts when Yordan hits DH, which is maybe ~60 games a year. Makes sense if they aren't signing anyone else. Maybe bring back Brantley if he's cheap.

41 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

It feels like every rumor is more under whelming than the last  …..

The Astros are interested in free agent catcher Victor Caratini, per @Chandler_Rome 

Caratini is switch hitting catcher who would play backup to Diaz if signed. He can also play 1B if necessary.

Idk what your are talking about

that sentence and not having the word “Maldonado” in it is the best possible news of the off-season 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I really like Caratini.  Depends on the contract but assuming it’s a reasonable 2 year deal it’s a great pickup.

all hell will break loose if he starts a game this season  lol

if he can provide some relief at 1st, that would be a nice adder 

Edited by tx 3 putt

7 minutes ago, Scraps said:

2 yrs 12 mil jfc

that doesn't make sense for a back up catcher, fucking dumb unless they think he'll be catching 25% of the time or more ?

If the salaries are distributed evenly, the contract brings the Astros’ payroll projection to roughly $222MM (via Roster Resource). More notably, the $6MM average annual value puts Houston’s estimated luxury tax tab right at the $237MM base threshold. The Astros have tended to hover around the tax line, aligning with Brown’s comments throughout the offseason that the club is working with a fairly limited amount of financial flexibility. Now that backup catcher has been solidified, they figure to turn their attention to the middle relief group.

On 10/24/2023 at 11:26 AM, Snake Diggity said:

Offseason checklist in order:

1. Replace Baker with Espada

2. Replace Maldonado with an affordable well rounded backup C (Victor Caratini?)

3. Extend Altuve

4. Add a leverage RP to replace Neris if he opts for free agency (Matt Moore?)

5. See if any other stars bite on an extremely team-friendly extension (Bregman, Tucker, Framber, B Abreu)

6. Be opportunistic on the trade and free agency markets to potentially upgrade other areas that aren’t necessarily weaknesses but also aren’t strengths (CF/LF, SS, SP).

7. Be on the lookout to convert MLB depth into high ceiling prospects (assuming all above tasks are completed)

2024 has a chance to be Houston’s deepest and most talented roster ever, depending on how aggressive/smart Brown and Crane are.

2/2

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Scraps said:

Spotrac had his market value at 3mil

Are we just fucking completely retarded or what? 6m/yr for a backup catcher?

Let me remind you that you were one of the loudest mockers of those of us on Team Korey Lee.  Enjoy your injured and declining Graveman and Caratini overpay with your morning coffee.

In all seriousness, I’d rather slightly over-pay at back-up catcher than for an outfielder.  It’s like having a good back-up QB-you might think you can get away without one and then the CFB selection committee decides your whole undefeated season was meaningless. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Scraps said:

Spotrac had his market value at 3mil

Are we just fucking completely retarded or what? 6m/yr for a backup catcher?

Those valuations on Spotrac are pure garbage as are the trade value calculators we see posted from time to time.

Fangraphs projects Caratini to post 1.5 fwar over just 257 pa for Houston.  If he does that for $6M that is a steal.

• Hook 'Em 2

This is a great signing. It means the cancer that is Maldonado is gone and you can have a guy catch 40 games and maybe play backup 1st base for 20 that doesn’t suck shit through a straw. Would I have preferred 3/39 for Garver?  Yes. But this deal is just fine and will help us probably have the best offense from catcher position in baseball. Be happy. 
Also- I nailed the Jake Meyers explanation based upon what Brown said about Chas playing every day. My guess is that if Jake hits average he plays 120 games and if he’s sub average he plays against LHP and as a defensive replacement only. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This is a great signing. It means the cancer that is Maldonado is gone and you can have a guy catch 40 games and maybe play backup 1st base for 20 that doesn’t suck shit through a straw. Would I have preferred 3/39 for Garver?  Yes. But this deal is just fine and will help us probably have the best offense from catcher position in baseball. Be happy. 
Also- I nailed the Jake Meyers explanation based upon what Brown said about Chas playing every day. My guess is that if Jake hits average he plays 120 games and if he’s sub average he plays against LHP and as a defensive replacement only. 

I just hate going into the season with 3 green lights as the starting OF.

• Hook 'Em 2