Albums that you've rediscovered recently

goodiemob

I love this game. The music hasn't changed, but you have; sometimes, you discover depth you didn't realize was there.

Biggest shock for me was rediscovering Duran Duran's Rio. There's some incredible depth to that record. It has aged well.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I love this game. The music hasn't changed, but you have; sometimes, you discover depth you didn't realize was there.

Biggest shock for me was rediscovering Duran Duran's Rio. There's some incredible depth to that record. It has aged well.

Funny you mention Duran Duran, I recently rediscovered the wedding album (their comeback self-titled album, actually). Previously having only liked the hit Ordinary People on that album, I enjoyed thoroughly the whole thing. Whoduthunkit.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Rimbo said:

great song

• Hook 'Em 1

I've been relistening to a lot of Elton John stuff after reading Bernie Taupin's autobiography.  I've really gotten back in to "Tumbleweed Connection", especially the CD version which includes a different version of "Madman Across The Water" with Mick Ronson on guitar instead of the version on the "Madman" album that was released the following year, with Davey Johnstone on guitar.  Mick adds so much more urgency and tension to the song.  Plus, I LOVE "My Father's Gun".   

• Hook 'Em 1

Heard that old hit single by Jet around lately and it got me digging up that album, Get Born. Damn, that is a goodass rocker from beginning to end!

Same with Silvertide, from around the same time when there was a bit of a rock resurgence going on. 

24 minutes ago, DougO said:

Heard that old hit single by Jet around lately and it got me digging up that album, Get Born. Damn, that is a goodass rocker from beginning to end!

I haven't listened to it in at least a decade, but as I recall it was a little schizo.  Half pop, half rock.  No?

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

Never listened to Duran Duran outside of what was on the radio/MTV, but that song sounds a little like XTC. 

It's actually one of their very earliest songs, written all the way back in 1978.

Yeah, I was kinda surprised at the time to discover how deep their music is. They had the trappings of a cheap pop boy-band, but they have always had an experimental side at the least, and legit music training. And they haven't been afraid to reinvent themselves regularly, to the point where they've repeatedly committed career suicide (Liberty, Medazzaland, Red Carpet Massacre) and recovery (wedding album, Astronaut).

They're still pushing out new material, and they keep trying to do new things. Even when they do ride the nostalgia wave, like when the OG band reunited for Astronaut or last week's "Danse Macabre" release, they try to do something new with it.

I'm still always more into metal than brit synthpop but DD just keeps on keeping me interested in what they'll do next.

3 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Funny you mention Duran Duran, I recently rediscovered the wedding album (their comeback self-titled album, actually). Previously having only liked the hit Ordinary People on that album, I enjoyed thoroughly the whole thing. Whoduthunkit.

It's a great album, but gets weaker past the midway point. (And can I please just pretend "shotgun" was never in it.) True story - the best songs on it (Come Undone, Ordinary World) the music was written by Missing Persons' Warren Cuccurullo, who had been their studio/touring guitarist since Notorious and became a full band member on this album officially.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Same with Silvertide, from around the same time when there was a bit of a rock resurgence going on. 

I cranked both of those quite a bit.  I was in college at the time.  There was definitely a classic rock resurgence in the early 00's.  Jack White was probably the biggest thing to come from it, but you had shit like The Strokes getting a ton of love from critics and press, and bands like Queens of the Stone Age putting out their biggest albums too.  It was basically the last gasp of guitar driven music being cool with people under the age of 25.

This was my favorite off the Jet album

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Therapy?'s Troublegum.  I'd call it post-hardcore but is that too early to be post-hardcore? All at once, they're hardcore, punk, grunge, industrial with heavy pop tendencies.  It really was ahead of its time in the early 90s. It'd fit in as a new release 30 years later. In hindsight, I'm not surprised they never really took off in popularity since they were so far away from what most bands were doing at the time.

Speaking of metal/hardcore/etc. (not genres I tend to listen to all that much), this is my fave, and I am going to make a point of rediscovering it today.  Their drummer did a little time in a DCI corps around my time but apparently didn't march a full summer season.  That's why I first checked them out.  What an awesome band:

• Hook 'Em 7

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Speaking of metal/hardcore/etc. (not genres I tend to listen to all that much), this is my fave, and I am going to make a point of rediscovering it today.  Their drummer did a little time in a DCI corps around my time but apparently didn't march a full summer season.  That's why I first checked them out.  What an awesome band:

Rad song. I actually think the following album, Betty, was their strongest.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've been relistening to a lot of Elton John stuff after reading Bernie Taupin's autobiography.  I've really gotten back in to "Tumbleweed Connection", especially the CD version which includes a different version of "Madman Across The Water" with Mick Ronson on guitar instead of the version on the "Madman" album that was released the following year, with Davey Johnstone on guitar.  Mick adds so much more urgency and tension to the song.  Plus, I LOVE "My Father's Gun".   

Love that album.
Made me go back and listen to Rod Stewart’s “Gasoline Alley” cause it has his cover of Country Comfort. I think it was released about 6 months before “Tumbleweed Connection”. He utilized a lot of his Faces bandmates so pretty good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Last night I checked out the new episode of Live at Daryl's House on youtube, with Charlie Starr of Blackberry Smoke.  Then I started diving into Daryl and H&O stuff. ended up binging for a good while. 

War Babies seems more like a Todd Rundgren album with H&O as his instruments. It sounds so damn good. The whole album is a trip. 

Daryl's first solo album, Sacred Sons with Robert Fripp producing and contributing guitar is another trip. Also has a strong Rundgren/Bowie type vibe and quite a bit of weirdness.

Last night I checked out the new episode of Live at Daryl's House on youtube, with Charlie Starr of Blackberry Smoke.  Then I started diving into Daryl and H&O stuff. ended up binging for a good while. 

War Babies seems more like a Todd Rundgren album with H&O as his instruments. It sounds so damn good. The whole album is a trip. 

79ae0807bcd91ceffd74474866a33154.jpg
Yeah, I pulled that one out yesterday. Cool LP. Stylistically all over the place but that was Todd at the time. Two guys from the recently formed Utopia play on it too.

"Push It" by Salt n Papa came up on MTV Classic last week and I was reminded of what a jam "Push It" by Garbage is.  So, I took a dive back into mid-90's rock and listened to some Garbage for a few days.  Those first two albums are great and Version 2.0 (I Think I'm Paranoid, When I Grow Up, Special, Push It), in particular, fucking cooks.  For some reason Shirley Manson has always felt other-worldly to me.  Enjoyed my Garbage revisit process thoroughly.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TexPx said:
5 hours ago, DougO said:

79ae0807bcd91ceffd74474866a33154.jpg
Yeah, I pulled that one out yesterday. Cool LP. Stylistically all over the place but that was Todd at the time. Two guys from the recently formed Utopia play on it too.

I think I have that exact same Pioneer receiver, except I just recently took it to a friend of mine to look at and probably to keep. 

22 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Yeah. Early(1962?) dual motor model. Bought it off Craigslist from some dude in Allen TX for 80 bucks.

I'm quite fond of the old massive-wood-plinth 'tables like your AR and certain Thorens, Linn, SOTA, etc.  Never got into Dual.  And then there were the alien spaceship designs (Oracle, etc.).  I actually owned an Oracle Alexandria II for quite a while, it was pretty understated, but still not as beautiful as my old Thorens was.

Same 'table, but I had an S-shaped tonearm:

Oracle Alexandria Turntable

• Like 1

I'm quite fond of the old massive-wood-plinth 'tables like your AR and certain Thorens, Linn, SOTA, etc.  Never got into Dual.  And then there were the alien spaceship designs (Oracle, etc.).  I actually owned an Oracle Alexandria II for quite a while, it was pretty understated, but still not as beautiful as my old Thorens was.
Same 'table, but I had an S-shaped tonearm:
1166.jpg

Yeah I love those too. My early 80s Denon has a lovely Redwood plinth.
8a1b94fab635af50cd865a61e6788e15.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

think i bought their entire discography for like $20 in college and rediscovered them during the pandemic. all of their albums are pretty bleak with depressing lyrics but there's a refreshing honesty to them as well. really feels like someone exercising their demons. all of the songs have interesting arrangements and great production. think i appreciate them more now than when i discovered them. 

220px-Beautifulfreak.jpg

15 hours ago, TexPx said:

Yeah. Early(1962?) dual motor model. Bought it off Craigslist from some dude in Allen TX for 80 bucks.

have that same turntable that i also bought off craigslist, but from a guy in pflugerville. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 11:25 AM, jimmyjazz said:

First concert I ever attended, at Wacky's Kantina in San Antonio circa 1993/94.

It was awesome. And loud.