Bill Self signs lifetime contract with KU

shadow_operative

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Through attrition.

he’s been the best coach for a long time now, and i’ve been saying as much for years. no one has been as good for as long or in as many places as bill self. his track record of winning and rolling out great teams (and without the high end nba talent  that the likes of duke and kentucky have had) is unmatched.

IMG_1263.thumb.jpeg.28ce0c066ce7bb656e59eb71ba991c00.jpeg

IMG_1264.thumb.jpeg.030ac0fe9d7226b32a8fb781632a23da.jpeg

14 consecutive years in the kenpom top 10; 20 of the last 24 years in the kenpom top 10; you have to go back to the nineties to find the last time that a bill self team was ranked worse than 18th at the end of the season. he’s the best cbb coach of this century, and one of the best of all time. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

he’s been the best coach for a long time now, and i’ve been saying as much for years. no one has been as good for as long or in as many places as bill self. his track record of winning and rolling out great teams (and without the high end nba talent  that the likes of duke and kentucky have had) is unmatched.

IMG_1263.thumb.jpeg.28ce0c066ce7bb656e59eb71ba991c00.jpeg

IMG_1264.thumb.jpeg.030ac0fe9d7226b32a8fb781632a23da.jpeg

14 consecutive years in the kenpom top 10; 20 of the last 24 years in the kenpom top 10; you have to go back to the nineties to find the last time that a bill self team was ranked worse than 18th at the end of the season. he’s the best cbb coach of this century, and one of the best of all time. 

I was at KU when Roy Williams said “I’ll never leave KU!” and then…..left KU. People wanted to string him up with barbed wire from a light pole on Mass Street. God, they hated him after that. Little did they know that Bill Self would turn out to be just as good as, if not better than Roy. 

I think the only quibble regarding his record is that he only has 2 championships.  That said, only 4 coaches have more since the Wooden era, and only 10 have won more than 1.  They are apparently difficult to win.

Mike Krzyzewski 5
Bob Knight 3
Jim Calhoun 3
Roy Williams 3
Bill Self 2
Billy Donovan 2
Dean Smith 2
Denny Crum 2
Jay Wright 2
Rick Pitino 2

15 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I think the only quibble regarding his record is that he only has 2 championships.  That said, only 4 coaches have more since the Wooden era, and only 10 have won more than 1.  They are apparently difficult to win.

Mike Krzyzewski 5
Bob Knight 3
Jim Calhoun 3
Roy Williams 3
Bill Self 2
Billy Donovan 2
Dean Smith 2
Denny Crum 2
Jay Wright 2
Rick Pitino 2

Heart issues pending, Self is only 60. Titles won past 60:

• Coach K: two
  • Calhoun: two
  • Williams: one
  • Pitino: one

Championships sure matter, but I'm willing to bet that if Self coaches 10-15 more years, he wins at least one more. He likely won't catch Coach K, but tied for second in the post-Wooden era surely puts him in the conversations for top-three best of all-time (Wooden, K, Self). 

2 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

Heart issues pending, Self is only 60. Titles won past 60:

• Coach K: two
  • Calhoun: two
  • Williams: one
  • Pitino: one

Championships sure matter, but I'm willing to bet that if Self coaches 10-15 more years, he wins at least one more. He likely won't catch Coach K, but tied for second in the post-Wooden era surely puts him in the conversations for top-three best of all-time (Wooden, K, Self). 

He certainly has his teams in a position to win one almost every year.  One could argue that he should have more at this point, but I'm sure we would all be happy to live with that.

5 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

He certainly has his teams in a position to win one almost every year.  One could argue that he should have more at this point, but I'm sure we would all be happy to live with that.

I do agree with you. He's had some really good teams experience early exits. Granted, that happens across college basketball.

16 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Being in contention is where we want to be every year. You need a lot of luck to win a title. The draw, running into a hot shooting team, needing a heart procedure prior to a Sweet 16 game, a foot injury by your star center in the round of 16

Edited by Js1

Holy shit! Hot off the press.

---------------------

NCAA Furious as Self, KU Ink Lifetime Deal

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Kansas might have finally gone too far.

That was the scuttlebutt wafting from NCAA corporate offices Wednesday in the wake of Tuesday's news that the Kansas men's basketball team had awarded coach Bill Self with a lifetime contract that also makes him the sport's highest-paid coach.

"I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore," said NCAA President Charlie Baker.

Earlier this year, Self and his Jayhawks narrowly avoided severe punishment for multiple recruiting violations stemming from the 2017-18 season. Despite initially refusing to cooperate with the NCAA's investigation, the Lawrence, Kan.-based university was not required to forfeit any scholarships or face any postseason bans. Instead, KU received what many categorized as a figurative slap on the wrist: vacating 15 wins, its Big 12 regular season and tournament titles, and its Final Four berth for that season.

"To reward Coach Self with a lifetime deal suggests our message isn't getting through," Baker said. "For this reason, we've little choice but to elevate our penalties."

When asked just what those sanctions would be, Baker did not mince words.

"To once and for all teach Kansas a lesson, the NCAA has decided to ban the Oklahoma State Cowboys men's basketball team from postseason participation for the next five seasons."

Though the NCAA did not require Self to miss any games for the 2017-18 violations, KU did "Self impose" a four-game suspension at the start of the 2022-23 season. Self also missed the entire postseason due to health issues.

"My heart will go on," an overjoyed Self said. "This huge pile of cash guarantees that."

When asked what actions it might take should the program once again run afoul of the rules, a spokesman with the KU sports information department said the school would resort to "something drastic, like probably shooting [Oklahoma State men's basketball coach Mike] Boynton in the kneecaps."

"It'd be kind of funny if [Boynton] were as crippled as the program," the spokesman added.

• Haha 1