RIP Shane Macgowan

G650

6 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

About 30 years more than anyone would have thought.  I finally saw him in 2010, I believe, at Stubbs with The Pogues. Was a lot of fun and glad I got the chance.  

I was honestly surprised he was still alive till now

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

IIRC he was drunk as hell but sang the right words, save for the 10 mins he disappeared mid set to the general confusion of the band. But he did return, and all in all I'd say it was the full Shane experience. A+

I think it was planned.  They played a bunch of songs from their time without him during that part of the set. 

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, smuggs said:

Lotta great Pogues memories from my early twenties, throwing darts at Dog & Duck with cigs and Strongbows. Wish I could go back and relive it... if D&D was still open and I could manage to stay awake past 9:40pm.

RIP.

Did I know you? I used to throw at dog and duck pretty once a week on pint night.

3 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Did I know you? I used to throw at dog and duck pretty once a week on pint night.

I was in there most friday or saturday nights around closing time 96-2000ish. My girlfriend at the time lived on 38 1/2 across from the Fiesta and Dog & Duck was usually our last stop on nights out. Also threw a lot of darts at The Ginger Man in that same timeframe.

Last night as I slept

I dreamt I met with Behan

I shook him by the hand and we passed the time of day

When questioned on his views

On the crux of life’s philosophies

He had but these few clear and simple words to say

I am going, I am going

Any which way the wind may be blowing 

I am going, I am going

Where streams of whiskey are flowing 

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw them in '07 at the Congress Theater in Chicago with a good friend who passed away two years later. Shane was a drunken mumbling marble-mouthed mess. But he nailed the vocals. It was fucking awesome. I'm so goddamn happy I got to see them live, and will always cherish that memory. Listened to all of Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash and If I Should Fall From Grace of God yesterday. RIP to an absolute legend. 

19 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Steve Earle is absolutely bonkers coked up in that interview. Hilarious. 

We were at a Symphony Christmas concert last night and they closed with Fairytale of New York in honor of MacGowan. The conductor is Irish and really did a great job handling the lyrics. Not sure many people there had a clue what he was talking about as he explained what the song and the Pogues meant to him, but it was well done.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 12/1/2023 at 11:58 AM, irishtexan said:

Saw them in '07 at the Congress Theater in Chicago with a good friend who passed away two years later. Shane was a drunken mumbling marble-mouthed mess. But he nailed the vocals. It was fucking awesome. I'm so goddamn happy I got to see them live, and will always cherish that memory. Listened to all of Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash and If I Should Fall From Grace of God yesterday. RIP to an absolute legend. 

Steve Earle is absolutely bonkers coked up in that interview. Hilarious. 

Yep.  That song was on Copperhead Road, when he was just really getting started on his downhill side.  A year and half later, when he released "The Hard Way", he was essentially a dead man walking.