Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

18 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Whoa, what's going on with Toto and Susie? I've read about it but don't quite understand what's happening.

CDN media

Wait, wait ... the accusations are "rooted in intimidatory and mysoginistic behavior"? Missed that somehow the first time I skimmed it.  Sorry Susie, but that's a huge load of horseshit. What a massive deflection. That makes it look even more like they did do it imho.

• Hook 'Em 1

Wait, wait ... the accusations are "rooted in intimidatory and mysoginistic behavior"? Missed that somehow the first time I skimmed it.  Sorry Susie, but that's a huge load of horseshit. What a massive deflection. That makes it look even more like they did do it imho.

It’s aimed at the garbage tabloid rag that published the story, which has quite a history of BS. They have lost several libel lawsuits over the years, and I’d expect that they may add another to the pile once this is over with.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Why even respond with a statement like that? Just say that that tabloid isn't credible and doesn't deserve a response.

The Madrid thing, is that supposed to replace Catalunya? I don't think I'd be opposed to it, though they finally removed the chicane.

45 minutes ago, faps said:

The Madrid thing, is that supposed to replace Catalunya? I don't think I'd be opposed to it, though they finally removed the chicane.

I think so, but according to the reports the contracts of the two races may overlap in 2026, so there might be 2 races in Spain in 2026. I don't think anything is solid yet though, despite the reports.

54 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

It’s aimed at the garbage tabloid rag that published the story, which has quite a history of BS. They have lost several libel lawsuits over the years, and I’d expect that they may add another to the pile once this is over with.

Yeah and at any rate if it did happen, imho the info is more likely to have come from the FIA secretary who ledt Mercedes for that job.

Here's a very good series of scarbs tweets if you're interested in the Grosjean crash and/or monocoque design. (I know, I know: which Grosjean crash?)

Hopefully that's already been studied extensively to help improve the design and make it safer, especially the bulkhead around the fuel filler. Take away the rupture there and there's no fire, or a much smaller, slower fire. Take away the fire, and that's a very different accident scene given the fantastic work done by the halo. Take away the halo, and I don't wanna think about that scene. Nightmare fuel. 

Seems like maybe the foam horseshoe collar needs a look, too, considering it was keeping GRO from exiting the car.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

15 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Wasn't the original rumor that he may have gotten info from the FIA secretary that left Merc for the FIA? That seems much more plausible if any such info was ever actually passed. I don't know how it all shifted over to Susie.

Edited by wood

29 minutes ago, wood said:

Here's a very good series of scarbs tweets if you're interested in the Grosjean crash and/or monococque design. (know, I know: which Grosjean crash?)

Hopefully that's already been studied extensively to help improve the design and make it safer, especially the bulkhead around the fuel filler. Take away the rupture there and there's no fire, or a much smaller, slower fire. Take away the fire, and that's a very different accident scene given the fantastic work done by the halo.

Do they have self sealing fuel tanks like fighter planes do?

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Do they have self sealing fuel tanks like fighter planes do?

I don't think so, but if they do, it seems like his didn't work.

Oh, and take away the halo, and I don't wanna think about that scene. Nightmare fuel. 

Seems like maybe the foam horseshoe collar needs a look, too, considering it was keeping GRO from exiting the car.

Edited by wood

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

If the rip in the tank was big enough, it wouldn't have been able to seal it anyway.  I believe they are just two layers of metal with a rubber filled void.

If you mean a flexible rubber fuel bladder, yep. That's what's in there. Works pretty well, except in a case like this where the filler is torn away. I could also see a puncture being a possible concern, but I've never heard of it happening.

Edited by wood

Lol. This sport can make drama out of a can of soup. Evidently Lewis left his trophy at the awards ceremony and some guy posted that he got it. Now Mercedes is saying that LH didn't give anyone anything. 

CDN media

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Lol. This sport can make drama out of a can of soup. Evidently Lewis left his trophy at the awards ceremony and some guy posted that he got it. Now Mercedes is saying that LH didn't give anyone anything. 

CDN media

Anything can happen in this sport, and it usually does. (Cheers, Murray.)

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 9:45 AM, PittsburghTiger said:

I just want to get in on the first page. I have nothing to add, at this time, other than I hate that the Silver Arrows are black.

mercedes amg racing GIF

Should be, Silver

mercedes amg racing GIF

That black merc is the meanest looking car on track. I love it.

I have no love for Mercedes, they can go fuck themselves.  Toto is a dick, Lewis is a petulant child, and then there's that other guy.

That said, the silver Merc livery is beautiful and the black Merc livery is boring AF.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, utee94 said:

Yeah!  Gulf, Martini, and John Player Special can SUCK IT!

Yeah there are definitely several great ones, and when you start looking at other series, so many fantastic ones too: ...

1991-7up-jordan-191.jpg
22ffdf68ac97a32226b713ab22cca271.jpg

Several more here:

Spoiler

Aut2fpl-1300-x-863.jpg

v2_large_f101c8c6d7420a1c508c08156cc025e

ferrari-11.jpg

I shot these at the 2013 usgp. Those Caterhams were so beautiful when the sun hit 'em just right:

856693_747016108646270_1908850505_o

979975_744001892281025_1238812294_o

1462793_744010052280209_1689217317_o

Another of mine from 2013, for the Silver Arrows fans ...

884992_747015771979637_667404571_o

... and RoGro at T1:

1401137_744008775613670_13543294_o

Jenson climbing up to T1:

738406_746979158649965_751522647_o

... and Checo at the apex:

882880_744008092280405_1511132238_o

Watkins%20Glen%201973_0.png?itok=gmohTqU

Paul%20Ricard.png?itok=NLluBqcR

gurney67_thumb.jpg?w=422&h=208

Lewis.Hamilton.2007.PA_.jpg\

1200px-Montoya_(McLaren)_qualifying_at_U

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

That red/black Ferrari is *chef's kiss*

The chrome/red Vodafone livery is also a big thumbs up.

Yep. When I think of iconic and beautiful F1 liveries, that Ferrari livery is at or right near the top. Easily their best imho.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Vodaphone is probably my number 2 all time. Ferrari is always meh to me.

Ferrari livery is like Texas or Alabama football uniforms.  It's not going to be flashy or edgy.  It's beautiful in its simplicity.  Although Ferrari's livery can definitely get screwed up when they try to get too cute, like having too much white, not enough black, or putting too much "flair" on the car.  Just like our Texas uniforms start to look worse when we have too much flair on them.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Ferrari livery is like Texas or Alabama football uniforms.  It's not going to be flashy or edgy.  It's beautiful in its simplicity.  Although Ferrari's livery can definitely get screwed up when they try to get too cute, like having too much white, not enough black, or putting too much "flair" on the car.  Just like our Texas uniforms start to look worse when we have too much flair on them.

Don't be besmirching the glory that is the Alabama uniform like that.

Revealed: The FIA's plans for "nimble" 2026 F1 cars and moveable aero https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/revealed-the-fias-plans-for-nimble-2026-f1-cars-and-moveable-aero/10557347/

Highlights: Lighter, shorter, narrower cars, with less downforce and less drag. Not a lot shorter, or narrower, or lighter, but it's a start. The wheelbase will be 20 cm shorter, 10 cm narrower, and 40-50 kg lighter. Probably smaller (16"), narrower wheels, which will reduce overall weight and unsprung weight. Still ground effect, with less downforce and 'hopefully' improved rules to help following. We already had that until the teams that couldn't get their heads around the porpoising issues cried loudly enough, but whatever. 

Tombazis said: "The 2023 season had a small worsening of the close racing features. The cars had degraded a bit in their ability to follow each other closely, and we think we understand why, how and what we need to do.

"We believe that for the next round [of rules in 2026] we'll achieve a much more robust close racing solution."

The plan is for less downforce and drag, and current simulations do not point to lap times being dramatically worse than they are now, although ultimately Tombazis says that outright speed is not its biggest worry.

"It is really not a huge factor," he said. "It's going to be very close to now.
"I think we're going to be within a couple of seconds or something like that. But even if it was five seconds slower, we're not going to be sweating too much."

In terms of their looks, Tombazis says that the 2026 cars will be similar to now.

"Somebody who knows about it will be able to see the differences, but they will look like F1 cars. On that, there wouldn't be any doubt."

There will be moveable aero on the straights - changing the rear wing angle to reduce drag, and it looks like they may at least be moving in the right direction in terms of assisting overtakes via DRS or some other means:

Moveable aero and DRS plans
One of the step changes from the current cars will be the addition of moveable aero to help reduce drag on the straights.

There has been some uncertainty over how this will play out – and whether it will scupper the potential for DRS on the straights.

There was even talk of it being used to introduce a reverse form of DRS, where cars in front have to run more aggressive wing angles.

Tombazis has now clarified more about the F1 2026 ideas.

"There will definitely be a change of incidence of the wing on the straight to achieve the low drag," he said.

"But there will definitely not be any slowing down of the front car by some means. That simply wouldn't work."

In terms of DRS, things have not been finalised – with the FIA weighing up several different ideas to deliver overtaking opportunities.

"There will be something equivalent to the current DRS, which will basically enable the following car that is within a certain limit to potentially get in a position to attack," he said.

"What form that mechanism will take: whether it will be an additional change of an aerodynamic component on the straight, or an additional change of the aerodynamic component in the corner, or whether it will be part of the energy of the engine....which of the three, we're still doing our best simulations to arrive to the best possible solution.

"What we don't want to have is cars basically diving past each other on the straight. We want cars arriving close to each other at the braking point and there being a fight, and drivers having to use their skill."

Tombazis says coming up with a DRS solution that is too effective, so can be tuned down, is a much better thing to have than going the other way and ending up with cars that cannot overtake.

"We will never want to make it too easy, but we also don't feel that we can say: 'Oh, well, it's not needed anymore'," he said.

"We can't risk arriving into a situation where overtaking becomes impossible again, or something like that. So we want to have it in the pocket and to use it moderately, but not highly.

"Overtaking must also be a fight. We don't want the cars just to drive past each other."

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

So who actually comes up with the new regulations? All you hear is the vague "the FIA."

Does the FIA have a room full of engineers that all meet and decide what is needed? If so, what are they doing the rest of the time?  Is it some sort of discussion with teams? 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

stole the idea from chapparal!

if i'm ever in midland again i'm going to that museum.  didn't have time last time. 

Yep. Wasn't thinking. Bernie's car came something like 8 years after that couple of west Texas boys messed around and did it.

I've told this story before, but wth. Once, probably around 2017-18, I was out at COTA with my now-20 yo. Can't remember what series was racing. Maybe F1? WEC? There was an old Chapparal 2E (reputed to be the first successful winged race car) on display near T16 & the amphitheater with an older gentleman standing next it fielding questions from the few who stopped to chat. Occasionally someone would come up and talk with the old cowboy about the car and walk off after a couple of minutes, but he and the car definitely weren't drawing that much attention, at least not a level of attention living up to the special nature of the car the man was standing next to. We walked up and looked at the car for about 10 minutes while some other folks were chatting with the gentleman. When they were done, this sweet old guy came over to us and asked if we'd like to know about the car. Treated us like the most important people at the track. Of course we wanted to know more, and he told us several great stories of how the 2E was designed, the road to get to that design, how others had tried wings before and they'd all failed, sometimes spectacularly and/or catastrophically, about his 'collaboration' and friendship with Carroll Shelby, about the Chapparal 2J (which as you alluded to was the first ground effect car and had twin 5000 RPM fans - one more than Bernie's fan car above had later in 1978), and more. Turns out that man's name was/is Jim Hall. He was the designer of the first successful winged car and the first ground effect car ... the guy who started it all ... Adrian Newey before racing downforce aerodynamics was even really a thing. And a pretty cool old cowboy, too. 

Mr. Hall is a hell of an interesting guy. If any of you wanna know more about him or racing history in general, or are just looking for an interesting read, there's a whole lot out there that's been written about him. And Carroll Shelby is involved in a lot of that, and if he's involved, you know it's gonna be full of shenanigans.

Jim Hall and the Chaparral 2J: The Story of America's Most Extreme Race Car https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a32350/jim-hall-chaparral-2j-history/

Chaparral 2F: Jim Hall's winged wonder https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/december-2020/133/chaparral-2f-jim-halls-winged-wonder/

Chapparal 1:

330px-1962_Chaparral_1_(004)_at_New_Cana

Chapparal 2:

1484851425-gettyimages-135199725.jpg?res

Chapparal 2E:

300px-Chaparral2Emuseum.jpg

1966-Chaparral-2E-racing-car.jpg

Chapparal 2F:

Chaparral-2F-Air.jpg

Chapparal 2J:

chaparral-2j-can-am-watkins-glen-1970-n6

41cfc71da78cf9a416dd608322754f2a.jpg

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

you talked to jim goddamn motherfucking hall?!?!?!  holy fuck!

like, if y'all don't know what i'm on about, those are arguably the most revolutionary race cars ever.  aerodynamic downforce was invented by a couple of guys in midland goddamn texas.  not a prancing horse in maranello.  not some antipodean in the british midlands.  not some midwestern corn salesman.  no, a couple of oilmen in texas. 

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 3