Formula 1 2024

Anton Chigurh

On 12/2/2023 at 7:31 AM, Anton Chigurh said:

Here we go again. This is apparently the first time ever that the driver lineup will be the exact same for two years straight.

a141a0fea5805b328405901974452867.webp

3141b15c371755e686d68c0d49d17f67.jpg

Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 why Logan Sargeant has a seat? If ever anyone need some more time in F2...

Does he come from money that I'm not aware of?

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Can someone explain to me like I'm 5 why Logan Sargeant has a seat? If ever anyone need some more time in F2...

I only pay half attention to off-track concerns these days but I believe Williams’ hand was forced after the Alonso/Piastri/Alpine business. Coupled with some underlying pace and his nationality, he had an opening and Williams had a need. 

Edited by ConferenceRoom

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

His family has money, but I've read that they've run that budget dry. He has a couple of small sponsors, but I'm told by my buddy who knows things that they're worth very little in the big picture. That same guy also told me a couple or three years ago that Logan is proper quick but needed more seasoning, and I do believe he is truly quick. If he can get his head around being quick without binning it, I'm guessing he'll be aight.

2 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

I only pay half attention to off-track concerns these days but I believe Williams’ hand was forced after the Alonso/Piastri/Alpine business. Coupled with some underlying pace and his nationality, he had an opening and Williams had a need. 

All of this, plus DeVries being a complete bust left them with few options. Piastri was gonna be at Williams on loan from Alpine before they massively, stupidly overplayed their hand. The shock waves from that colossal own-goal are still being felt & probably won't subside for years.

• Hook 'Em 1

spacer.png

Silly Season is going to be extra silly this year.  I can see why Charl reupped (well, beyond the likely massive bump in pay). Which seat would be an open in a team that's clearly better than where he's at? 

Red Bull? Yeah, but would they bring in someone of his calibre to pair with Max?

Merc? Not till 2026, and then I don't think Toto would dump George unless he falls off a cliff this year.  Lewis will be 41 in 2026; I would think he comes back in the hope Merc nails the new regs to get him WDC #8.

So yes, we chuckle at "Question" and "We are checking" and all that, but he's the lead driver at Ferrari.  That's still a coveted seat.

• Like 1

F1 Commissioner Dieter Rencken.

I remember seeing this story when it broke, but it seems to have flown under the radar here and elsewhere.

FIA appoints F1 Commissioner to help lead improvements

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-appoints-f1-commissioner-to-help-lead-improvements/10545151/?utm_source=English Edition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=US_MS_20231110_WeeklyNewsletter (01HEX37CF8MH8J3A76TY7EHZ4S)&_kx=q42uLyVvxymueQRW1d3fUcm8aAB0LeHvtygu27U2P7w%3D.WA7V6T

The FIA has appointed an F1 Commissioner to help with its strategies and improvements in grand prix racing, Motorsport.com has learned.

Former F1 journalist Dieter Rencken, who has been working as an advisor to FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem for several months, will take up the role with immediate effect.

It is understood that Rencken will report directly to Ben Sulayem, and he has been tasked with assisting in the formulation and implementation of improvements for F1 on behalf of the governing body. The FIA is a separate organisation to F1's commercial rights holders FOM.

He will furthermore help with discussions over the framing of the new Concorde Agreement, the document by which F1 is run, which is expected to come into force in 2026.

The idea of the FIA having a dedicated commissioner for F1 was something that has been talked about several times in the past, with previous FIA president Jean Todt making it part of his manifesto when he first took office in 2009.

20 hours ago, aggie08 said:

13 hours ago, wood said:

His family has money, but I've read that they've run that budget dry. He has a couple of small sponsors, but I'm told by my buddy who knows things that they're worth very little in the big picture. That same guy also told me a couple or three years ago that Logan is proper quick but needed more seasoning, and I do believe he is truly quick. If he can get his head around being quick without binning it, I'm guessing he'll be aight.

All of this, plus DeVries being a complete bust left them with few options. Piastri was gonna be at Williams on loan from Alpine before they massively, stupidly overplayed their hand. The shock waves from that colossal own-goal are still being felt & probably won't subside for years.

Wood does a good job covering why he got to Williams, and I would just add that there’s no Leclerc/Russell/Piastri type in the junior ranks right now. The last 2 F2 winners are Drugovich and Pourchaire, who have potential but aren’t likely to be good in Year 1 and neither has massive financial backing. On top of that, there isn’t really an obvious veteran to sign, so Williams either finds a big pay driver who’s terrible or they’re better off betting on Sargeant improving in Year 2 over starting from scratch with the currently available guys. Checo would’ve been a great get if RB let him go, because his usual routine of mixing god awful weekends with ones where he can make an alternative strategy work for points above what would be expected is a great fit for a team like Williams right now.

Tl;dr I don’t think giving Sargeant the seat last year was a very good move, but their options were limited and keeping him in the seat next year is probably their best option currently or at least just as good as the alternatives. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Dutch said:

So yes, we chuckle at "Question" and "We are checking" and all that, but he's the lead driver at Ferrari.  That's still a coveted seat.

According to Gazetta dello Sport, Ferrari only offered 1 year to Sainz Jr. Supposedly there are rumors around him and Alpine. Also, if the reports about Chuck's salary are true, he must have the same agent as Jimbo. 25M Euros, increasing to 50M later in his contract. Tax free because Monaco.

11 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

... and I would just add that there’s no Leclerc/Russell/Poastri type in the junior ranks right now. The last 2 F2 winners are Drugovich and Pourchaire, who have potential but aren’t likely to be good in Year 1 and neither has massive financial backing. In top of that, there isn’t really an obvious veteran to sign, so Williams either finds a big pay driver who’s terrible or they’re better off betting on Sargent improving in Year 2 over starting from scratch with the currently available guys. Checo would’ve been a great get if RB let him go, because his usually routine of mixing god awful weekends with ones where he can make an alternative strategy work for points above what would be expected is a great fit for a team like Williams right now.

Tl;dr I don’t think giving Seargent the seat last year was a very good move, but their options were limited and keeping him in the seat next year is probably their best option currently, or at least just as good as the alternatives. 

Todo este^ ... 

It was better during the days of FR3.5. F1 basically had two F2s to draw drivers from. 2x more seats for young drivers to impress, 2x more drivers for F1 teams to choose from. Not good for the sport that there's no longer an alternative to F2 IMHO.

Edited by wood

4 minutes ago, wood said:

It was better during the days of FR3.5. F1 basically two F2s to draw drivers from. 2x more seats for young drivers to impress, 2x more drivers for F1 teams to choose from. Not good for the sport that there's no longer an alternative to F2 IMHO.

i assume they would say that the alternative is to roll with something like Super Formula - which really isn't the same.

you would think there would be more of a focus on keeping good drivers in the hopper. the whole "if you win f2 you can't race there" thing is wild as well with no other alternative. just "good luck, you aren't good enough for a spot on the grid, so go find somewhere else to drive" instead of trying to keep them close is wild.

Edited by NoName

My post on Logan from a week ago on the old thread:

Since there’s not really another Charles/Russell/Lando/Albon in the F2 ranks currently, teams probably aren’t willing to risk a new driver going through a steep learning curve again unless/until they have to.

Even then, getting on top of these cars and especially these tires can take a little while.

Oscar Piastri, who by all accounts is pretty damn good, hasn’t really even come close to getting on top of race tire management yet.

Wow, Bobby wanted the sprint race and then kinda blamed the decline in attendance on having a sprint weekend. Now he's got another one? This is strange.

Re: Spain, my buddy who knows things says there's a lot of smoke there, but it's not a done deal yet.

Edited by wood

18 minutes ago, wood said:

Wow, Bobby wanted the sprint race and then kinda blamed the decline in attendance on having a sprint weekend. Now he's got another one? This is strange.

Re: Spain, my buddy who knows things says there's a lot of smoke there, but it's not a done deal yet.

yeah its been posted as being official to Madrid and then Fabrega who i thought was super well thought of (maybe not?) said it wasn't.

i know that the Catalans will fight tooth and nail to at least stay on the calendar. them losing the Spanish GP is bad enough but to lose it to Madrid and lose your slot on the calendar?

1 hour ago, NoName said:

yeah its been posted as being official to Madrid and then Fabrega who i thought was super well thought of (maybe not?) said it wasn't.

i know that the Catalans will fight tooth and nail to at least stay on the calendar. them losing the Spanish GP is bad enough but to lose it to Madrid and lose your slot on the calendar?

I like Fabrega a lot. Very reliable in my experience, and what he's saying is consistent with what my buddy told me earlier today. There is a lot of traction, but it ain't done yet. 

Fabrega got a lot of shit for 'starting rumors' around the Vegas GP that he didn't actually start. He merely said he had heard a thing, and then some people went wild with speculation and then accused him starting all the false rumors they themselves had conjured up. Hell, as far as anyone knows this could be the thing he was talking about in Vegas.

BTW who posted it as being official to Madrid?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Whoa, what's going on with Toto and Susie? I've read about it but don't quite understand what's happening.

CDN media

The little bit I've read is that there are rumors of Toto getting inside info from someone inside the FIA and/or FOM, and that it could be Susie. 

FIA opens compliance investigation into potential Wolff conflict of interest
Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff and wife Susie are under investigation by the FIA Compliance department for a potential conflict of interest.

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-opens-compliance-investigation-into-potential-wolff-conflict-of-interest/10555365/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

The little bit I've read is that there are rumors of Toto getting inside info from someone inside the FIA and/or FOM, and that it could be Susie. 

FIA opens compliance investigation into potential Wolff conflict of interest
Mercedes Formula 1 boss Toto Wolff and wife Susie are under investigation by the FIA Compliance department for a potential conflict of interest.

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/fia-opens-compliance-investigation-into-potential-wolff-conflict-of-interest/10555365/

Yeah, what I don't understand is what sort of information are we talking about? What would she have access to that would be beneficial to Toto/Merc?

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Yeah, what I don't understand is what sort of information are we talking about? What would she have access to that would be beneficial to Toto/Merc?

Seems like I read somewhere (here?) that he had known about the RBR cost cap penalty before RBR even knew about it. If he knew about that before RBR did, that would suggest he could have access to all sorts of info, but who knows.

Yeah, it was in the 2023 thread.  There was  a rumor that Toto also let something slip in a team principal meeting that he should have had no way of knowing and people who were there said you could tell by the look on his face that he knew he had fucked up.

4 hours ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, it was in the 2023 thread.  There was  a rumor that Toto also let something slip in a team principal meeting that he should have had no way of knowing and people who were there said you could tell by the look on his face that he knew he had fucked up.

Yeah, the RBR penalty for the cost cap breach, right? Before even RBR knew.

That seems like an awfully good price!

Early bird and it’s not the pit/main grandstand
07838f96ad452748c9fde6b55f289f39.jpg

I usually go for the Padang A grandstand. It is on a long street straight and right behind the big music stage. But there were no non-middle seats. So I will try this other one with an aisle seat. It has a pretty big screen, but will lack speed.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NoName said:

saw it on twitter, so not like it was anyone that official

Yeah after I axed you that, I saw several outlets saying 'imminent announcement', etc. My guy who knows things says it's not quite there yet, but it's going well.