2024 ACL Festival

texasdago

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

My guess would be Friday night, opposite of a big name…the ones that shutdown 30m before the closer.  At least I hope so, and that they don’t jam him into one of the smaller side stages at 4p like Flight Facilities was. 

Odesza last year was Honda stage.  8-10 Sunday night, opposite Hozier 

Hozier.  LOL.  I hate it when both headliners are uninteresting to me.  I was mildly excited to see Kanye, based on the hype, and he was astonishingly bad.  I mean, really terrible.  He was so bad my wife and I strolled over to watch Coldplay, a band I could not be less interested in.

They were bad too, but not as bad as Kanye.  We went to Magnolia Cafe and I had some Eggs Zapatino, which rocked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Haven’t made it the last couple years after going basically every year previously. I’m determined to get out there again, at least for one day. Always a great time of discovering music, people (girl) watching, and Austin. Living DT, I don’t really have any excuse not to. Other than the cost.

14 hours ago, texasdago said:

Odesza last year was Honda stage.  8-10 Sunday night, opposite Hozier 

Yeah but I’d argue Pretty Lights is not ODESZA, at least not once Say My Name came out…got a lot of actual crossover radio play.  They also are/were Grammy nominating machines.

I mean who knows, stage/day is part of the allure in speculating on once the lineup is out.  Selfishly I hope he’s not a Sunday closer, because by then most of the crew/myself are about done and have to work the next day.  

He throws out a unique blend of soul/groove that was a big chunk of the soundtrack back in my early 30’s.  When we saw him at the backyard in like 2012, I was 32 and felt old even then…curious the crowd he draws.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Hozier.  LOL.  I hate it when both headliners are uninteresting to me.  I was mildly excited to see Kanye, based on the hype, and he was astonishingly bad.  I mean, really terrible.  He was so bad my wife and I strolled over to watch Coldplay, a band I could not be less interested in.

They were bad too, but not as bad as Kanye.  We went to Magnolia Cafe and I had some Eggs Zapatino, which rocked.

To be honest, I know two Hozier songs.  I can't stand one of them.  But ODESZA was just a big spectacle of a show.  It was highly entertaining and it was "quite a crowd" you could say.  

But, Kanye / Coldplay.  I get it... I would think, "oh, I like some Kanye songs" and yet I could totally see him sucking.  And I find Coldplay terribly boring and unoriginal.  Good choice on dinner.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

We went to Magnolia Cafe and I had some Eggs Zapatino, which rocked.

So jealous.  I went to Polvo's last night and made the mistake of ordering migas...the waiter asked if I wanted cheese on them?  

I didn't even know it was legal to serve migas without cheese....worst migas of my life.  

I'm becoming convinced that the day old Austin died was when Las Manitas closed its doors...RIP.

Edited by DixonHur

On 5/7/2024 at 11:12 AM, texasdago said:

If you like Khruangbin, check out Glass Beams and BALTHVS while there. 

Never heard of them, but Spotify confirms.  Thanks!  I love Surly!

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I had some Eggs Zapatino, which rocked.

Repped just for Eggs Zapatino reference, which is consistently my favorite Austin breakfast dish of the last 20+ years (with ham & jalapeños added of course). Fuck. Yes.

Edited by KaiserSoze
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Homercles said:

Yeah but I’d argue Pretty Lights is not ODESZA, at least not once Say My Name came out…got a lot of actual crossover radio play.  They also are/were Grammy nominating machines.

I mean who knows, stage/day is part of the allure in speculating on once the lineup is out.  Selfishly I hope he’s not a Sunday closer, because by then most of the crew/myself are about done and have to work the next day.  

He throws out a unique blend of soul/groove that was a big chunk of the soundtrack back in my early 30’s.  When we saw him at the backyard in like 2012, I was 32 and felt old even then…curious the crowd he draws.  

I was at that show at the backyard. That was an awesome show. The last time I saw him in concert he had a live drummer, guitarist, and bassist on stage with him.  I assume he’ll be at night for ACL. Hoping I can make it out there for a day this. Haven’t been in a few

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hammerin Hank said:

I was at that show at the backyard. That was an awesome show. The last time I saw him in concert he had a live drummer, guitarist, and bassist on stage with him.  I assume he’ll be at night for ACL. Hoping I can make it out there for a day this. Haven’t been in a few

Then again Diplo was a Miller Lite stage show at 7 so who knows.

On 5/13/2024 at 8:49 AM, nolongerU2horn said:

Pretty Lights is absolutely closing out one of the main stages. Just look at the poster.

Unless you think Khruangbin or Leon Bridges are. Which they're not.

and it looks like they'll be opposite Dua Lipa

Was listening to Sir Chloe today... really good sound.  Going to be mid-day on Friday based on that poster.  And I'm thinking the Mannequin Pussy timing may be good for Friday.

Pleased to see Leon Bridges and Khruangbin on separate nights.  I expect (hope) Khruangbin is Leon Bridges's band, but was worried they'd have limited time for their own music.

Either way, Friday is gonna be fucking awesome.  Guess I gotta haul my old ass down for Sturgill though

And so the playlist hunt begins.  We still get to beat the shit outta OU in there somewhere, right ?