2024 PGA Tour

Wally Fairway

6 minutes ago, pops said:

You fucking nailed it. I thought burns or jt would throw a 63 or 64 up on the board. Fucking awesome to see. 

Eh. I would have put money on something like -30. My original comment was "2 under or so". 

It was a perfect storm for the kid: no one went low, it was a favorable scoring course all week, his playing partner threw up on himself and took a lot of pressure off, and, most importantly, he played another solid round of golf. 

12 minutes ago, pops said:

You fucking nailed it. I thought burns or jt would throw a 63 or 64 up on the board. Fucking awesome to see. 

Did he?

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Right but he isn't getting it either way.

Kid just doubled 7 to fall back to -26 and a tie for the lead. I'd expect someone else to win at this point. Those knees are starting to shake.

Screenshot_20240121_151014_ESPN.thumb.jpg.95dfa434bb1693137de2a9d4f5f788b1.jpg

• Haha 1

Fyi:  Dunlap and Tiger Woods are the only golfers to win both the U.S. Amateur and the U.S. Junior Amateur. While Dunlap got the celebration Sunday for one of the most impressive performances in recent golf history, he doesn't get the $1.5 million first-place prize, which goes to Bezuidenhout after the South African's final-round 65.

Dunlap also doesn’t get the 500 FedEx Cup points — but his rewards are still ample. If he stays at Alabama he gets in the Masters, U.S. Open and British Open as the U.S. Amateur champion. If he turns pro and joins the PGA Tour, he still gets in the Masters and U.S. Open, along with the remaining seven $20 million signature events on tour.  

I feel bad for the caddie (Bama asst coach Hunter Hamrick) (who happens to be a relative of my ex-wife… /csb).

gets zilch for the weekend and surely loses his best player tomorrow. Although the amount of “free” publicity /recruiting time this weekend I’m sure is a nice consolation prize.

(he was on the 2012 Bama squad that lost to Spieth and company. But unlike JT that day, actually got a point for his team).

• Hook 'Em 1

"Just like him" is where I find this fascinating.  The list is short for players winning on tour as an AM.  The list is pretty small for owners of the US Junior and US AM titles.  The list of players winning on tour at his age is, once again, extremely small.  I get why he stayed in college, he had a direct path to the majors.  Nobody should ever turn that down.

21 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

"Just like him" is where I find this fascinating.  The list is short for players winning on tour as an AM.  The list is pretty small for owners of the US Junior and US AM titles.  The list of players winning on tour at his age is, once again, extremely small.  I get why he stayed in college, he had a direct path to the majors.  Nobody should ever turn that down.

I mean, are we already over Ludwig Aberg?

On 1/22/2024 at 10:34 AM, Revolution512 said:

With the win he is in the Masters, am or pro, and he jumped from 4102 to 68 in the OWGR by winning the AmEx; that puts him on the cusp of making the majors by getting into the top 50, and winning gets him into the Signature ($20mm limited field events) unless there is fine print somewhere about having to be a PGA tour member. He will be fine with his decision, either way - I can't think he stays am for long, as IMO it would be hard to play in the college events all the while knowing you have a golden ticket to play in PGA events. Then again he might just be giving a little time to get his sponsor deals worked out.

https://www.owgr.com/playerprofile/nick-dunlap(am)-28270

Edited by Wally Fairway

https://www.pgatour.com/article/news/latest/2024/01/25/the-american-express-winner-nick-dunlap-announces-turning-professional-pga-tour-membership-signature-events-players?deviceId=2a225bd7-a976-4aba-989d-1e52e76a8a1a

Nick Dunlap, who recently became the first amateur in 33 years to win on the PGA TOUR, announced Thursday that he is turning professional and intends to accept PGA TOUR membership. The announcement came in a press conference on the University of Alabama campus in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

"It was the easiest, hardest decision that I've ever had to make," Dunlap said on Thursday. "I was very fortunate that everyone had the same opinion about it, and my teammates were awesome and very supportive. It goes back to the family that Alabama has; they were very supportive and wanted me to chase my dreams."

Dunlap, a sophomore at Alabama, won The American Express in La Quinta, California, on Jan. 21. He is the first player to win the U.S. Junior Amateur, U.S. Amateur and a PGA TOUR event while still an amateur and is the second-youngest TOUR winner since World War II (behind only Jordan Spieth).

24 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

When did the field at Torrey Pines get so shitty?

it's a shame, really.  Tiger and Rahm were regulars there but not anymore. it's not an elevated event, so Scottie and Jordan and JT and a lot of big names don't show up.  some of the top Euros were in Dubai last week so understandable that they can't get from Dubai to San Diego for a Wednesday start.

but it's hard to believe that a lot of the top American players would pass up San Diego in January at a US Open quality course because it's not an exclusive event or the course doesn't fit their game or whatever lame excuse they have.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Anyone else just see the drone shot of one of the leaders stepping off the back of the tee box to piss in the bushes?

No - because I flipped it on then flipped it off when I saw who was leading. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

This is the least interesting leaderboard I've seen in awhile. Jesus. 

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

No - because I flipped it on then flipped it off when I saw who was leading. 

12 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I’ve only heard of a handful of the players in the top 40. What a shitty field. 

This is what happens with the new signature events, it will basically keep the big name draws out of the week before because they "have" to play the next week. It will be interesting to see what happens to the Phoenix Open, as it is the week between 2 signature events.