rechargeable tool platform

I buy Craftsman stuff from Lowes. I don't use them enough to justify spending Milwaukee money and Lowes always seems to have deals where you can buy a battery 2-pack for $99 and get a free tool. Now I have an impact wrench, leaf blower, ratchet, etc and plenty of batteries to go around. Yeah, Craftsman ain't what it used to be but I don't care. These will do what I need them to do just fine.

Posted (edited)

As long as you're not using them for professional use then Ryobi for the price point and quality is your best bet. Ryobi has same parent company as Milwaukee and are made in same factory in China. I do think Milwaukee has slightly better external quality but most internals are same or similar. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Forget the brand. Each brand is "best" at different specific tools. DeWalt has the current strongest impact wrench and the best inflator. Milwaukee the best 12v cordless ratchet. Sone brands don't make specific tools at all, like a multi-laser level. Really need to fit your specific needs.

Forget the brand. Each brand is "best" at different specific tools. DeWalt has the current strongest impact wrench and the best inflator. Milwaukee the best 12v cordless ratchet. Sone brands don't make specific tools at all, like a multi-laser level. Really need to fit your specific needs.

You don’t want 3 or 4 different brands and battery platforms. That’s a massive space waste.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

I don't need the "best" inflator, or ratchet, or whatever.  I just need a good one.  Milwaukee shit is good.   Dewalt may have "some" tools that are better, but IDGAF.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I had a hell of a mix of Dewalt, Ryobi, etc.  Then came the garage fire.  Now I have nothing but Milwaukee.  It's nice to have everything running on the same battery (but I don't recommend garage fires).

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 7:19 PM, William_Cannon said:

I went Ryobi because of all the 18v tools avail. They’ve been reliable. I’d recommend them for homeowners but probably not for pros.

I bought a 14v Ryobi kit (drill, saw, light and a couple other things) for $99 on sale at Lowe's around Christmas 2001. In spring 2002 they went 18v. Batteries finally died, now it sits somewhere in the garage.

Went with the dewalt 20's. Drill, driver, chainsaw, etc. Light shit around the house, but nice to have only one set of batteries to mess with.

Oh, and gave my son the old stuff. Stored enough of his stuff over the years, he can take my old gear now. He is a writer so not like he will do much more than things around his place.

Edited by InkaUtexas

On 1/1/2024 at 6:23 PM, davidg said:

I have the 20v 12” Dewalt saw and use the 5 AH batteries.    I use it at the ranch when I need to make a few small cuts real quick and around the campfire.  I have even took it the last few years to the Christmas tree farm and cut down my tree with it.   Runtime with the 5 ah battery hasn’t been a problem but most of my cuts are 6” diameter or smaller.

AFFD915B-32C2-479F-9448-03BF6499ECDD.thumb.jpeg.b46972fc385a39ab504dc4e7d7305690.jpeg

3rd this. I have the 12" at the ranch and maybe 8 batteries at a charging station. I have all dewalt tools and I love them all. The chainsaw is great because it is light and has solid power for cutting fire wood. I just toss the saw and 2 batteries in the mule and go collect wood. The batteries do not last that long when it is super cold but that is true with all these battery tools.

Each line usually has low, mid and high end tools. Just because it’s dewalt, there are crappy low end tool and high end buy it for life models. A lot of the cheap stuff comes out as great buys around Christmas and Father’s Day.

At some point or another I had makita 18v and 10v, Milwaukee 18v and 22v , ridgid 18 v and 12v , ryobi 18 v and 8(?) V, Bosch 12v and 18v. I’ve sold most and paired it down to three battery systems.

The ridgid battery warranty sounds great but if you want to get a warranty replacement you have to bring in all tools/batteries/chargers that were warrantied with the set you bought. How are you supposed to keep all that organized? It wasn’t worth it.

My three: Milwaukee 12v, Bosch 12v and Ridgid 18v.

Bosch 12v makes great small compact tools but don’t have the variety of Milwaukee 12v. Both make impact drivers and drills that will do almost anything you could need them to do and they are light. If I need a power tool it’s a 90% chance it’s a 12v.

For every thing else, it’s a ryobi.

I also use my milwaukee 12v stuff way more often than the 18v.  

I’ve got a couple of compact batteries and one that’s 1.5ah. I’ve got a few 12v tools but they aren’t the same tool as the 18v. I don’t think you can justify buying the same tool twice just to have an 18v and 12v.

42 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’ve got a couple of compact batteries and one that’s 1.5ah. I’ve got a few 12v tools but they aren’t the same tool as the 18v. I don’t think you can justify buying the same tool twice just to have an 18v and 12v.

Oh, if I were to only have 1 platform, it would be the 18, but the 12 is so damn handy.  Lightweight and compact, but still good power. 

• Like 1

Team Dewalt. 

Have the 60v string trimmer, 4 years old and works like a champ. 

Wasn’t paying attention when changing the string, loose extra string got wrapped and sucked up into the motor. 

Sent email to dewalt, two pictures and the Serial #. Sent me back an email asking for address to mail the replacement motor, no charge. No warranty registration, no questions asked. 

60v Trimmer, blower, edger and chainsaw all kick ass. Batteries are expensive, but originals still work like new. 

*I store the batteries inside. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

I’ve had great luck with Milwaukees warranty and customer service too. I have the 18v Fuel 7 1/4” circular saw. Haven’t used it much. Year and a half ago, grabbed it and the trigger switch quit. Quick email and got a box and return. Two weeks later, had the saw back working like new.

• Like 1