2024 Golf: Not even God can hit a 1-iron

hacker

I’m in group with some guys from Surly and the No Laying Up message board that have an annual event there. 36 players from 3 regions three team match play event. It’s a blast. 

the tee boxes were not good in April but greens were excellent (albeit a little slow). Went back with my son for his first golf trip last month and they had resodded the tee boxes which were coming in nicely. Greens were the best I’ve ever seen them (I’ve been a dozen times over the years). I saw they punched about a week or so ago. They should be back to normal within another week. 

the regular rooms are spartan but clean and are dirt cheap. They have nicer new accommodations but they are pricey ($450/night to share a room)

• Hook 'Em 1

Played Marco Simone Golf Club in Rome yesterday.  It was cool playing a Ryder Cup course but damn that was tough.  The rough was so difficult it was quite frustrating.  Just grabbed your club no matter how hard you swung and I was in it a lot.  Greens were tough also but the views and playing in the Italian countryside was a lot of fun. 

IMG_3178.jpeg

IMG_3182.jpeg

IMG_3184.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 7

Posted (edited)

Heartbreaker in our two-day member-member tournament today. Missed the horse race and winning our flight by a fraction of an inch, lipping out a putt on our 45th hole that would have won the flight. Same partner and I tied at the top of our flight last year and lost one down in the head to head tiebreaker. I just want to make a horse race one of these days…😖

Golf. 

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Hook 'Em 1

Played 18 holes this past week, shot 85. Had 4 good drives, rest horrible. Haven’t played 18 in many many years. I’ll go back to the driving range once or twice a week, hit more drivers for sure. 

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Played 18 holes this past week, shot 85. Had 4 good drives, rest horrible. Haven’t played 18 in many many years. I’ll go back to the driving range once or twice a week, hit more drivers for sure. 

85 with a bunch of horrible drives? Sounds like an inaccurate handle you have there…🤔

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

85 with a bunch of horrible drives? Sounds like an inaccurate handle you have there…🤔

I went up to the 3.0 on my super stroke putter grip (on a trial run). I highly recommend going up a size on a Trial run. 

greens were very slow. Better greens, I’m making more putts 

Edited by tx 3 putt

On 5/19/2024 at 7:58 PM, Lurch said:

I 4-jacked from 8 feet on a par 3, but managed to win my flight with a 78 today

bdf676c000f7876d56b3b9af40617560.jpg

482ee4c03816f3a4bf288c8622c1dbe9.jpg

Don’t ya love the 15 holes in even par but shoot 78 days?!?!

• Hook 'Em 1

There at least 4 totally wasted strokes on those three holes. On 9 I barely pulled it into a hazard and had to drop. On 10 I juuuuuust missed a perfect 6 iron that clipped the bottom of a limb, kicked right into the trunk of the same tree and then rolled back to the spot I just swung from.

And then the aforementioned 4 jack

Golf
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

A piece of shit Ping. I dont like the shape of it and it’s only useful off the deck. Worthless if I need loft. Especially in a recovery shot

Imo, most important thing is the fw club sits / looks good to you. Go to a big golf shop, look and browser. Look at the used clubs, they probably have a lot of good shots left in them

I like how the new pings sit, but I’m fully confident with fairway woods 

Where are you placing the ball in your stance with the 3w? I’ve been able to dial mine in by relearning ball position. It’s taken a number of range sessions to get comfortable with though.

I’d agree that it needs to look right first and foremost. If you don’t feel confident with that club the misses can be disastrous

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Lurch said:

Where are you placing the ball in your stance with the 3w? I’ve been able to dial mine in by relearning ball position. It’s taken a number of range sessions to get comfortable with though.

I’d agree that it needs to look right first and foremost. If you don’t feel confident with that club the misses can be disastrous

I just hate the look. Have played with so many positions I’ve lost count. I hit my 3 hybrid 235-245 consistently so just found I don’t need the 3W “chance” to get another 15-20 yards inconsistently. 

• Like 1

3W more than any club in my bag is so shaft dependent. I finally found what works for me (Fujikora Motore Speeder Tour - only shaft where I like the heavy version) and it doesn't give a damn what the head is, that bitch is turning right to left with a mild draw every damn time.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Bert Orange said:

I just hate the look. Have played with so many positions I’ve lost count. I hit my 3 hybrid 235-245 consistently so just found I don’t need the 3W “chance” to get another 15-20 yards inconsistently. 

Move your hands a little forward or something. You should be nailing that 3 wood 

21 hours ago, hacker said:

I had that last Sunday. Was -1 through 13 holes before going double, double, bogey, double, par. 

On 5/21/2024 at 11:55 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Move your hands a little forward or something. You should be nailing that 3 wood 

So took a lesson today at the club. I’m shifting my weight too much right to left and not opening my hips on follow through. Pro had me nailing it inside 30 mins. 

The 3W can unfuck itself. 

that said, got the titleist 4W and I love it. Played it very well. So guess my bag just grew. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

So....  I was in need of some new clubs.  

I was still playing (when I did play), on some Callaway X-20's, and I just bought a set of the Titleist T-300's.  (5w-48 degree)

I wanted an all Titleist bag, so I went with 3W, and I'm looking at Hybrids and I can't decide between a 3H at 18 degrees or a 4H at 21.

My old Callaway 3H was 21 degree and I hit it pretty well.

So....  I was in need of some new clubs.  
I was still playing (when I did play), on some Callaway X-20's, and I just bought a set of the Titleist T-300's.  (5w-48 degree)
I wanted an all Titleist bag, so I went with 3W, and I'm looking at Hybrids and I can't decide between a 3H at 18 degrees or a 4H at 21.
My old Callaway 3H was 21 degree and I hit it pretty well.

Did you mean to say 5i-48 instead of 5w? Most 5w are equivalent to 3h, but the 4h should play a bit more than a step above the 5i so that should be a good club to include

1 minute ago, Lurch said:

Did you mean to say 5i-48 instead of 5w? Most 5w are equivalent to 3h, but the 4h should play a bit more than a step above the 5i so that should be a good club to include

So basically my bag would be:

Old Driver (For now)

3W, 4H, 5i-48, Vokey 58 (Bounce 10/S Grind

Putter

1 minute ago, Lurch said:

So that’s 12 clubs? Leaving you room to add 3h too?

Yes, for now I’m going to get one or the other.  

The 3H or the 4H.  I’ve got some discounts at Golf Galaxy but they do have the 3H with regular flex.

Posted (edited)

Dang yeah I’ve always hit regular (I’m not very good either way)

So you think stiff 3H?

****Sorry I meant to say they don’t have the regular flex in 3H.

Edited by Rip76

I would get the same flex shaft as your new irons. A hybrid is meant to be swung as an iron so you don’t want a different feeling flex, nor would you want to change your tempo to accommodate it.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Rip76 said:

Yes, for now I’m going to get one or the other.  

The 3H or the 4H.  I’ve got some discounts at Golf Galaxy but they do have the 3H with regular flex.

I’ll say it, at our swing speeds no diff between stiff and regular. I’d go regular 

Don’t recall your ages, but that’s 100% not been my experience. I would have to force myself to slow down to hit a reg with consistency, and I’m not a particularly fast swinger already

Why do you want an all Titleist bag? 

I love Titleist clubs but my 2015 Cobra ForgedTecs perform close enough to brand new T150s. Are the T150s better? Sure. But not $2k+ better and I was damn close to pulling the trigger before my rational side kicked in. 

play a stupid amount of golf, probably more than most on this thread so I go through clubs and entertain this decision often. If you're, self admittedly, not that good, spend on lessons instead. I'm betting that's a better use of funds than going 100% Titleist. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 1:03 PM, Bert Orange said:

A piece of shit Ping. I dont like the shape of it and it’s only useful off the deck. Worthless if I need loft. Especially in a recovery shot

I used to carry two 3 woods back in the day, one with very low loft that I used as a driver on all but the longest of holes, and one with higher loft off the turf.  In a way that lofted three wood was what allowed me to mostly use that shorter but straighter 3 wood off the box.  Might even get a chance to play again occasionally soon... but haha I was saying the same thing this time last year...

Edited by horn4life

Hit the driving range this am.  Holy hell it was balls hot. Fixed my driver somewhat but the funny stuff:

guy warming up to play:  I’m gonna tee off with my hybrid to keep it in the fairway

me thinking I whispered:  fuck that

Apparently, I was a little loud and his group heard me. All is well because his buddies laughed.

I’m not backing down from that philosophy though.