5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I think the Texans are done at WR ….

Nico
Tank
Woods
Brown
Hutch
Metchie

Unless there’s someone they can’t pass on, like Brian Thomas Jr at 23 or Legette at 59

29 minutes ago, Fud said:

Unless there’s someone they can’t pass on, like Brian Thomas Jr at 23 or Legette at 59

Yeah I would expect at least one in the draft to push for Woods’ roster spot, if nothing else to free up $5MM for Nico’s extension…

Pre combine, Brugler he had 7 RBs all in the same ballpark in his rankings, from #70 (Jonathan Brooks) to #92 (Trey Benson), and he's since said on his pod that he has about 9 guys he likes in the same ballpark 

I think Houston can wait at least until round three, and probably until round four to find one 

(these have presumably changed since the combine, for instance Benson and Wright's stocks have probably gone up while Estime's has probably gone down)

70) Jonathan Brooks

73) Blake Corum

75) Braelon Allen

81) Bucky Irving

87) Audric Estime

89) Jaylen Wright

92) Trey Benson

I'm guessing the top not in this top 100 are Ray Davis (who I like- he played in the Shanahan/McVay offense this year at Ketucky) and Marshawn Lloyd

I think you can do better than RB in the 2nd round 

4 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

No surprise if we sign Hunter Renfrow to a 1 year deal, today.

After re-signing Noah Brown, I think they can wait until after the draft to fill out the roster at WR

16 minutes ago, Fud said:

Powers-Johnson might not even make it to Houston at #23 (not that they're taking a center after drafting two last year) 

I wouldn't think a center would go in the first. You are probably right, though. I was just trying to think of some interior guys since they are undervalued compared to tackles.

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I wouldn't think a center would go in the first. You are probably right, though. I was just trying to think of some interior guys since they are undervalued compared to tackles.

I'll add though teams usually draft guys like  Matt Goncalves, Julian Pearl, K.T. Leveston, Christian Jones in the second or third and move them inside.

If Caserio doesn’t see value, he should make the obvious move and trade back. There could be teams in the late first or early second that want to jump up for a particular OT or WR and give up an extra 3rd round pick. #23 is probably too early for Longhorns Mitchell, Worthy, and Sweat but it would be amazing if they somehow walked away with two of those guys. 

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I think trading down in the first might be a decent option. In the 2nd round you might have Legette, Sweat/Jordan Morgan, Sainristil, Powers-Johnson/Jordan Morgan...

Yeah, if one of the QBs slipps late to the 1st, and one always does, it might best to fall back into the 2nd and pick up multiple picks. We need young depth at plenty of positions, but our Top 24 should be really good with a few more FA signings.

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

I think trading down in the first might be a decent option. In the 2nd round you might have Legette, Sweat/Jordan Morgan, Sainristil, Powers-Johnson/Jordan Morgan...

This seems like a good option to me, provided a WR/DB they really like doesn’t unexpectedly fall to 23. I really like the way Sainristil plays, would be a good option for late 2nd round…

There was noise yesterday that the Texans were also interested in Chase Young. I wonder if that changes with the addition of Hunter. You have to think they are also waiting on San Francisco to official cut Armstread.

Armstead and a safety would complete this FA season and give the Texans the flexibility to draft best available in the draft.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, HtownHorn said:

There was noise yesterday that the Texans were also interested in Chase Young. I wonder if that changes with the addition of Hunter. You have to think they are also waiting on San Francisco to official cut Armstread.

Armstead and a safety would complete this FA season and give the Texans the flexibility to draft best available in the draft.

That report came out a little before Hunter was announced. It was also reported that Atlanta gave Hunter a competitive offer ($75 over 3 with less guarantees, I believe). That might have been Houston telling him "take this offer now, or it could be going elsewhere"

I'd love to add Armstead, but at this point I wonder if someone like Tennessee will be more motivated to sign him

I have no doubt Houston will add a quality safety. I'm wondering if they add two though? 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

That report came out a little before Hunter was announced. It was also reported that Atlanta gave Hunter a competitive offer ($75 over 3 with less guarantees, I believe). That might have been Houston telling him "take this offer now, or it could be going elsewhere"

I'd love to add Armstead, but at this point I wonder if someone like Tennessee will be more motivated to sign him

I have no doubt Houston will add a quality safety. I'm wondering if they add two though? 

I didn't see a whole lot in the draft but I would consider an early third day flyer on a Texas corner.

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

sign one FA / draft another 

Not sure if Houston can give the biggest offer at this point and still fill out the roster with guys they need (a safety, especially), they might need a discount

• Hook 'Em 1

I would like to see them get Armstead and bring back Rankins if possible to fill out the DT position. I just hope Armstead costs less than 10m APY, as he's 30 and had some injuries the last 2 seasons. 2 years for 16-18m seems about right with some incentives for snap count. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Fud said:

He did before drafting Kenyon Green

Let that be a fucking lesson…

Cutting Jimmie Ward would save $3.8MM this year so there’s a little more available if you want to upgrade at more of a center fielder type than a close-to-the line guy. I’m not as down on Pitre as a lot of people, I think if you can put him in a hybrid LB/safety role he can be a playmaker.

Cutting Robert Woods adds $5.5MM to that total, so if you want to upgrade Ward there’s $9.3MM available on top of the $21.55 listed above. If you cut Woods you probably want to draft a WR in the first three rounds, which I’d like to do regardless….

Edited by Ignatius

2 hours ago, Fud said:

Not sure if Houston can give the biggest offer at this point and still fill out the roster with guys they need (a safety, especially), they might need a discount

Hopefully familiarity with Demeco wins out.