2024 Houston Texans off-season thread

The Earl of Texas

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Does the 2024 $18.5mill dead cap hit move to Texans??

Screenshot_20240403-110415_kindlephoto-5817127.thumb.png.9865138e1efa64e03a3d3032d534e44c.png

No, only the salary and (probably) the workout roster bonuses for 2024 since they fall into the category of likely to be earned. Dead money always stays with the old team….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Does the 2024 $18.5mill dead cap hit move to Texans??

Screenshot_20240403-110415_kindlephoto-5817127.thumb.png.9865138e1efa64e03a3d3032d534e44c.png

It's already been answered, but dead cap is money that's already been spent, but it's just allocated for future years. It's accounting to create more space in the current year at the expense of future years

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think Houston probably still signs a safety. Simmons would be ideal, even if he's getting up there in age. Diggs would be fun

They’d have to restructure Diggs contract to sign Simmons. But that’s doable. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Deebo Samuel had/has 6.8 and 8.9 hits the first two years of his extension. If we sign Nico to a similar deal we can easily absorb it, and that’s before considering the $5.5MM savings you’d get from cutting Robert Wood. I’d love to shore up safety with a pre-draft signing and end up with CB, DT, and OL (in whatever order) our 3 picks in rounds 2-3 of the draft..

• Hook 'Em 1

For those who might be concerned about the big drop off in Diggs’ production in the latter part of 2023, it almost perfectly correlated to when Dorsey got fired and Joe Brady took over as the Bills’ OC. Which indicates the reduction was more a matter of scheme and play calling, not ability. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Not having that $20mill obligation for that 2nd Rd pick, frees up more free agent money for other player(s)

The 2025 pick? I doubt that’s much of a consideration 

Goddamn, I’m excited about this team. I would usually go back and forth between Cowboy and Texans games when they were on at the same time. That stopped last year after it became apparent that CJ was the truth and this team was heading someplace. I don’t even check the Cowboys thread anymore. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

{

3 minutes ago, Hate said:

Goddamn, I’m excited about this team. I would usually go back and forth between Cowboy and Texans games when they were on at the same time. That stopped last year after it became apparent that CJ was the truth and this team was heading someplace. I don’t even check the Cowboys thread anymore. 

Wait.  The Cowboys have a thread?

• Hook 'Em 2

Even if you were worried about Diggs being a head case or whatever all Buffalo fans are crying about now, check this shit out.

If it goes bad, he’s on a 1 year deal with team renewal options. Trade value was right, price is right at $20M, gotta wonder wtf else there is to this story. I know Buffalo has bad cap situation but they just let him walk…

Posted (edited)

Diggs trade really resonated with Vegas. Texans’ odds to win division went from +140 to +115, to win AFC from +1100 to +750 and to win the Super Bowl from +2200 to +1800

Edited by TonyTexas

For those who might be concerned about the big drop off in Diggs’ production in the latter part of 2023, it almost perfectly correlated to when Dorsey got fired and Joe Brady took over as the Bills’ OC. Which indicates the reduction was more a matter of scheme and play calling, not ability. 

In the playoffs it was a matter of ability. He was terrible and cost the Bills bigtime.

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Sounds like a typical sunshine fan of convenience from San Antonio. Welcome to the bandwagon, I guess.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Again, I continue to be surprised in how Caserio has handled this past 12 months like a maestro, and continue to be glad to eat my words that this would never be a successful franchise with the McNairs at the helm. 

On that subject, I truly believe the main factor in letting go of the reins, firing Easterby and changing the culture has been Janice McNair losing her power over the organization. Whether due to health or realization that she had been hoodwinked by O’Brien and Easterby. She was the one that bought all the Bible thumping bullshit, and now she’s clearly out of the equation. 

Edited by Planet Houston
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

On that subject, I truly believe the main factor in letting go of the reins, firing Easterby and changing the culture has been Janice McNair losing her power over the organization. Whether due to health or realization that she had been hoodwinked by O’Brien and Easterby. She was the one that bought all the Bible thumping bullshit, and now she’s clearly out of the equation. 

The entire McNair family prescribes to the prosperity gospel, not just Mrs. McNair. Texans fans have Hannah McNair (Cal’s wife) to thank for convincing him to dump Easterby. If she hadn’t, that Bible-thumping hack would still be running the org. 

Edited by Yev Kassem
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Yev Kassem said:

The entire McNair family prescribes to the prosperity gospel, not just Mrs. McNair. Texans fans have Hannah McNair (Cal’s wife) to thank for convincing him to dump Easterby. If she hadn’t, that Bible-thumping hack would still be running the org. 

Yes, I know. I’ve known Hannah a long time. Our posts don’t contradict one another. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IDIOTsavant said:

My random guess for our Day 2 picks: #42 Edgerrin Cooper, #59 Cole Bishop, and #86 Braden Fiske…just straight up the middle of the defense.

Cooper and Bishop make sense. I don't think Fiske is realistically there at #86. Good chance he's not even there at #59. 

17 minutes ago, Fud said:

Cooper and Bishop make sense. I don't think Fiske is realistically there at #86. Good chance he's not even there at #59. 

There’s a lot of DTs that are relatively interchangeable in the 2nd/3rd range IMO. I could see any of them going mid 2nd to end of 3rd. Could be Kris Jenkins or Ruke Orhorhoro.  Just think they’ll take the one that falls, and I went with Fiske here since he only has one year of film in a P4/5 league. If he was being valued coming out of Western Michigan, that’s probably about where we’d see him go, but it could be any of them at that point in the draft. 

Just now, Hate said:

That’s outstanding! Get 2 great years from him and then move on. 

I believe it's now a one year deal 

A 2nd (likely good 2nd) for one year plus the 5th and 6th rounders 

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Why would the Texans give up 3 years on the contract at a reasonable salary number when none of it is guaranteed? It makes zero sense. Someone  explain this to me. 

They're afraid of Diggs being a cancerous malcontent, I guess

Weird deal. Not great, imo 

So essentially, getting possibly one year of Diggs plus a 6th this year, a 5th next year, and an upgrade of our 7th to a 6th this year cost us a 19-pick downgrade of our 1st rounder this year. Plus, obviously, the $ we pay Diggs this year. Draft capital-wise, that’s not a big spend to get CJ another proven weapon.

The voided years thing is curious outside of the motivational aspect, but I wonder if it isn’t somehow related to Nico’s extension? That or they’re really convinced that either Justin Jefferson or CeeDee Lamb will actually hit FA next year lol…

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Fud said:

They're afraid of Diggs being a cancerous malcontent, I guess

Weird deal. Not great, imo 

If he is then they could just cut him next year with no consequences. If not, they are missing out on several years of service. The only thing that remotely makes sense is if they think they can re-sign him at a lower number next year if they decide they want to keep him. Seems unlikely. 

Edited by TonyTexas