Something wrong at The Onion?

I know The Onion is now owned by some conglomerate media company, but it has been that way a while and it was still putting out consistently funny stuff. Don't know if it's a lull, but man it's not very good at the moment. There was always something about The Onion that just felt different that could be imitated but not duplicated (sorta like The Far Side). Now, the stuff just doesn't connect.

Umm, ok?

image.png.2f7d60f2653e2d24c943ec0fdfbd1787.png

#3 on this list is kind of funny. #1-2 are just dumb and nonsensical. #4 is straight Babylon Bee garbage.

image.png.a8518dd07161826a47dd357900d71cf9.png

I guess #1 is a "Spring Training" joke? #2 is another dumb and nonsensical one.
image.png.ce8b0599b162022c742e2e60a482be81.png

Am I missing something?

image.png.3d90033573c3ee930a36331bd5d95750.png

Newsome's slicked-back look deserves to be poked fun at, but this is like the puking silver dollars headline. It just seems kind of immature and not very clever:

image.png.0a24d5a93878f3c1db3821c7a8cf78d9.png

11 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

The Onion has officially jumped the shark.

That's what I'm worried. If it has, that's a hell of a run.

Just now, 52-80 said:

Same as SNL. Whatever clever original staff they had had long bolted and now its just a dried husk of its former self, staving off death with its decaying name recognition. 

Well it's been around so long that I imagine that's happened several times over the years. And it's consistently been funny, even in recent years/months. Just something seems different now.

55 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Well it's been around so long that I imagine that's happened several times over the years. And it's consistently been funny, even in recent years/months. Just something seems different now.

This is the best comparison. There's always been an ebb and flow to how funny it is and isn't. Even without staff and ownership changes, it's hard to be "on"all the time.

Those articles in the OP look perfectly average to me. Not any better or worse than is typical. But we remember the funniest jokes over time and forget how mediocre these things often are, day by day.

I mean they’re trying to put out 5-6 funny headlines or articles a day, just like they’ve been doing for years. It is literally impossible for them to all be funny. It’s no more or less funny than it’s ever been, OP just has selective memory

Edited by Helobious
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Half of those were probably written by ChatGPT using past Onion headlines as the training source. 

This has to be it. It's got that "feel" to it.

I mean they’re trying to put out 5-6 funny headlines or articles a day, just like they’ve been doing for years. It is literally impossible for them to all be funny. It’s no more or less funny than it’s ever been, OP just has selective memory
Area man has mediocre opinions about once relevant and topically snarky satire / parody news(ish) site.

Turn to page 14 for continued coverage.