2024 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

On 4/26/2024 at 2:03 PM, 'stache said:

Double header today v. BYU because of potential weather tomorrow and BYU can't play Sundays. Need a sweep.

We are well aware. We only win on Saturday and Sundays. No way we could have won the BYU series.

1 hour ago, zlavydra said:

I haven't watched them play at all, but a purely statistical evaluation leads me to the conclusion that the Pokes have some real pitchers on the roster.

Yeah the pitching has been pretty good.

It saved us early in the year when we were squeaking out games scoring 3 and 4 runs. The bats have been better in the past month or so.

• Hook 'Em 1

Bats are definitely better, Schubert hit 4 home runs last night against the Shockers. Pitching is good overall but we give up a lot of home runs. It feels like a lot of them are solo shots out of pure luck. Friday hasn’t been ace thus far though. Should be a good series.

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Which teams in the Big12 are realistically expected to advance to a Super Regional???

I could see anywhere from 0-2 teams making it. The most likely suspects being Texas, OU, or OSU. I am not sure anyone will even be hosting a regional. 

Posted (edited)

WVU is playing pretty well too. At this point, there isn't much separation. The UT-OSU series appears to be the only remaining series amongst the top of the current league standings. 

Edited by 'stache

3 hours ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

I could see anywhere from 0-2 teams making it. The most likely suspects being Texas, OU, or OSU. I am not sure anyone will even be hosting a regional. 

D1 has both OU and OSU hosting as of now. They have us as a #3 seed in Santa Barbara against Arizona.

1 hour ago, Balcones said:

D1 has both OU and OSU hosting as of now. They have us as a #3 seed in Santa Barbara against Arizona.

That's pretty bizarre since I am pretty sure we are better than both of them and we aren't very good. Down year for college baseball?

1 hour ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

That's pretty bizarre since I am pretty sure we are better than both of them and we aren't very good. Down year for college baseball?

Does better balance mean down year?

13 of the top 20 in RPI reside in the SEC/ACC.  4 teams in the top have losing or .500 conference records.

Those two are 25, 26 in the RPI.

I would bet it’s 1 host site for the Big 12.

OU lost to each of the top 4 teams in their series and has swept everyone else. They are a somewhat undeserving big 12 champion if you cant win ANY series against the top teams but they are literally sweeping the BYUs of the world. So tip the hat I guess. 

28 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Now Texas has to sweep the last six games and hope OU goes 3-3. Very unlikely.

True. Not with OU having BU and @Cincy remaining. Honestly, the two-seed is pretty fucking good at this point given where this team was a couple of weeks ago. I just hope they take the next two series and hold onto it. 

WVU finishes with KSU and @TCU, while OSU has TTU and @UH. Have to think OSU is going to fair pretty well with that finish. Texas plays competitive teams in both remaining series, but they’re playing decent baseball now. We’ll see. 

3 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

True. Not with OU having BU and @Cincy remaining. Honestly, the two-seed is pretty fucking good at this point given where this team was a couple of weeks ago. I just hope they take the next two series and hold onto it. 

WVU finishes with KSU and @TCU, while OSU has TTU and @UH. Have to think OSU is going to fair pretty well with that finish. Texas plays competitive teams in both remaining series, but they’re playing decent baseball now. We’ll see. 

Hopefully Tech shows more fight against OSU than they did against OU. They are playing for their postseason lives now at 12-15 in the conference.

Hard to believe Texas could finish something like 19-11 in the league and that would only be good enough for 3rd. I thought that record might win the league just a month ago. Just a weird year all around.

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hopefully Tech shows more fight against OSU than they did against OU. They are playing for their postseason lives now at 12-15 in the conference.

Hard to believe Texas could finish something like 19-11 in the league and that would only be good enough for 3rd. I thought that record might win the league just a month ago. Just a weird year all around.

Those 15-9 records look oddly familiar.  Same teams as last year, right?  Only tied for 2nd rather tied at 1st.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Just saw the stat that OU is 3-6 against the other 3 teams in the top 4 of the conference and 15-0 against everyone else.

That's pretty wild.

Also looks like a recipe for an early Big 12 tournament and/or regional exit.

Obliviously it's a good thing to beat up on the lower end of the conference, but a 15-0 record against the rest is absurd and has more than a little luck involved. And this is baseball - that luck will run out.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

That's pretty wild.

Also looks like a recipe for an early Big 12 tournament and/or regional exit.

Obliviously it's a good thing to beat up on the lower end of the conference, but a 15-0 record against the rest is absurd and has more than a little luck involved. And this is baseball - that luck will run out.

confused-perplexed.gif

42 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

So will only two B12 teams host a regional ???

D1BASEBALL.COM TOP 25

Screenshot_2024-05-07-19-15-25_kindlephoto-3501115.thumb.png.1838c168259630fd8edb66d1c8d0ad20.png

My guess is it will be 1 and it will likely be OU. OSU, despite the H2H series win over OU, is 5 spots behind OU in RPI.