2024 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

Regular season title without a round robin makes zero sense. It’s gonna be a problem with all these big ass conferences. Whatever, hope we find a way to make a run in the conference tourney.

• Hook 'Em 1

Don't recall reading.    Respect Mazey,  seems like a "good guy".   Only 58, may be tired of the NIL, transfer circus, or have TV media opportunities with his wife.   B12 Coach of the Year in '19 and '23.   Conf Champ in '19.

What to know: Mountaineers coach Randy Mazey announced before the season he was stepping down when it ended. They celebrated Mazey on Sunday with a victory over Kansas State in his final home game.

https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/college/red-raiders/2024/05/13/oklahoma-baseball-conference-champion-in-farewell-season-big-12-baseball-power-rankings/73637512007/

1. Oklahoma (32-17, 21-6)

Last week: 1

What to know: Don't bank on a seventh Big 12 series sweep. No. 15 OU finishes at Cincinnati, the surprise team of the Big 12 and one of the hottest ballclubs down the stretch.

Related:Oklahoma baseball making tracks toward a title | Big 12 baseball power rankings

2. Oklahoma State (34-16, 17-9)

Last week: 2

What to know: Too bad No. 17 OSU's series finale Sunday against slumping Texas Tech was rained out. Before then, the Cowboys were mathematically still in the race for the conference title with a head-to-head tiebreaker over Oklahoma. Oh, well.

3. Texas (32-20, 17-10)

Last week: 3

What to know: How's this for consistency: The Longhorns have won two out of three in eight of their nine conference series. No other Big 12 team has won more than six conference series.

4. West Virginia (31-19, 17-10)

Last week: 4

What to know: Mountaineers coach Randy Mazey announced before the season he was stepping down when it ended. They celebrated Mazey on Sunday with a victory over Kansas State in his final home game.

5. Kansas State (29-21, 13-14)

Last week: 5

What to know: K-State, No. 36 in the RPI, had some momentum with recent series victories over Oklahoma State and Kansas. But after winning last weekend's opener at West Virginia, the Wildcats lost 13-0 and 12-5.

6. Kansas (29-18, 15-12)

Last week: 7

What to know: Kansas, with help, could still get the No. 3 seed in the Big 12 tournament. The Jayhawks finish at Texas in perhaps the best series of the final weekend.

7. Cincinnati (30-21, 16-11)

Last week: 6

What to know: Don't be dismissive of Cincinnati at the Big 12 tournament. The Bearcats have won four conference series in a row and five of their past six.

8. Central Florida (31-17, 12-14)

Last week: 8

What to know: The Knights have lost three of their past four conference series after winning four of their first five. Barring a late run, they're probably going to miss NCAA regional action for the sixth tournament in a row.

9. TCU (30-17, 13-14)

Last week: 9

What to know: The Horned Frogs have gone from outside the cut line for the Big 12 tournament not long ago to a bubble team for the NCAA tournament with a No. 38 RPI and a No. 41 strength of schedule. They finish at home against West Virginia.

10. Texas Tech (30-22, 12-17)

Last week: 10

What to know: The Red Raiders are going to miss the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2015 unless they win the Big 12 tournament. Kansas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State have Texas Tech on an eight-game conference losing streak.

Related:Texas Tech baseball clinches Big 12 tournament bid with rainout at OSU

11. Baylor (21-29, 9-18)

Last week: 11

What to know: Texas Tech might have missed the Big 12 tournament if Baylor had had anything left. The Bears have lost 11 conference games in a row.

12. Houston (25-26, 7-19)

Last week: 13

What to know: Houston hung losses on Texas's Max Grubbs and Kansas's Reese Dutton, who have two of the Big 12's five lowest ERAs among qualified pitchers. Even so, the Cougars have lost 19 of their past 22 conference games.

13. Brigham Young (19-29, 6-21)

Last week: 12

What to know: Thank goodness for midweeks. The Cougars are 6-2 in their past eight non-conference games. But in conference? They've been swept four series in a row.

Was the Baylor-TCU game going to be a non-conference game? OU and OSU have been doing that for the last few years since they moved the games back to campus. The conference series this year was in Stillwater and we played a non-conference midweek game in Norman early in the season.

An interesting note on OU and their conference record.  They lost their first conference game to WVU 4-3.  Since then the winner has scored at least 7 runs in every game.  They score often.

That’s pretty offensive.

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

Did the UH campus get nailed by the 100 mph winds? In assuming they have power if they’re planning on having baseball. I know downtown did and the city had asked folks to not really go downtown.

Doesn’t seem like it. OKST twitter says they’re playing todayb

3 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

Would Cougar High tank meaningless games to make sure Texas doesn't get a bye? It sure looked like it.

FUCK Cougar High, FOREVER!

I've said this multiple times, but whatever.  If we play any of these Big 12 schools non conference weekends in the  next 10 years I'll be calling for a head coach to be fired.  

Tuesday is fine I guess if we have to.  I am fine playing Arizona State and Arizona though.

Edited by petscii

3 minutes ago, petscii said:

I've said this multiple times, but whatever.  If we play any of these Big 12 schools non conference weekends in the  next 10 years I'll be calling for a head coach to be fired.  

Tuesday is fine I guess if we have to.  I am fine playing Arizona State and Arizona though.

We stopped playing ASU during the regular season many years ago because of multiple retaliatory bench-clearing brawls. 

That's what I was thinking about the last time we beat them in a regional. 

4 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

We stopped playing ASU during the regular season many years ago because of multiple retaliatory bench-clearing brawls. 

That's what I was thinking about the last time we beat them in a regional. 

I went with my Mom to a Tuesday game at DFF vs ASU in 2006.  I know Gus and Brock were friends and it upset both coaches that their teams were so ugly to each other.