Mizzou QB has a message for Tom Herman

bschoolprof

15 hours ago, bamachine said:

You can have them back. They never really fit here anyway, not that they really fit the B12, they are more in the B10 footprint. The SEC should have taken WVU when they were offering, they were a much better fit.

Nope, no backsies.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bamachine said:

You can have them back. They never really fit here anyway, not that they really fit the B12, they are more in the B10 footprint. The SEC should have taken WVU when they were offering, they were a much better fit.

Disagree

They were an original Big 8 school and had a naaaaasssty rivalry with KU (as well as a trophy game with us).  They bordered 4 other Big 12 states, compared to 2 Big 10 states (one of which shares with the Big 12).  

Missouri absolutely belongs in the Big 12.  They might have had their sights set on the Big 10, but there's a use for a P5 conference between the Mississippi and the Rocky Mountains, and the Big 12 fit that bill.  Prior to realignment in 2010, there were two P5 schools west of the Mississippi and east of the Rockies that weren't in the Big 12 - Iowa and Arkansas.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

Culturally the state is at a crossroads of the Big 10, SEC, and Big 8/12.

St. Louis and the surrounding metro is definitely midwestern. But the St. Louis exurbs and southern Missouri are full of neo-confederates. KC is a western railroad cowtown like OKC or Fort Worth. And then northern Missouri is virtually indistinguishable from Kansas/Iowa/Nebraska.

2 hours ago, bamachine said:

^I was speaking less about geography and more about cultural fit. 

And I'd argue the same again.  The Big 8 had a pretty similar culture, outside of maybe CU.  The Big 12 added Texas schools to that mix, but they weren't that much out of place culturally.  

Mizzou wanted Big 10 money and academia.

Missouri never really even made it on my radar while they were in the B12.  I can of course remember our first B12 game ever against the Tigers in the monsoon, and I vaguely recall their QB eating boogers on national television, but other than that, I hardly ever noticed they were in the conference.

I miss Nebraska, and Colorado was alright, but I have almost no recollection of this school that we spent 15 years with in the B12.

14 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Missouri never really even made it on my radar while they were in the B12.  I can of course remember our first B12 game ever against the Tigers in the monsoon, and I vaguely recall their QB eating boogers on national television, but other than that, I hardly ever noticed they were in the conference.

I miss Nebraska, and Colorado was alright, but I have almost no recollection of this school that we spent 15 years with in the B12.

A big part is that their fanbase didn't give much of a shit.  Looking at their current attendance in the SECSECSEC, they still don't.

They could get up for a good season in football, and fill up KC for the basketball tournament, but that's the extent of it.

Also, they left the Big 12 right when every game was starting to get aired every week, and the beginning of round robin.  I'm a lot more familiar with the Texas schools now that we play every year, and I can watch every game, than I was prior to 2011.

I live outside of STL now and listen to the sports talk shows on radio.  It's funny to listen to them talking about "SEC" football, especially given that they don't play what anyone would consider "SEC" football.  It's a shitty school with a shitty football program and it was glorious when TH mocked that idiot of a quarterback.  The weeks leading up to the bowl game were very entertaining because they kept going on about the high powered offense.  That high powered offense was putting up numbers because they were a shitty team playing against even shittier teams.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 6:55 PM, bamachine said:

^I was speaking less about geography and more about cultural fit. 

Missouri isnt a cultural fit with the B10. Most of them are good schools. Mizzou is about like OU, Arkansas, or Bama in quality. Mizzou is also not Southern, so its B12 all the way. Texas is really the one who is out of place culturally in the B12 in spite of being its anchor. 

6 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Missouri isnt a cultural fit with the B10. Most of them are good schools. Mizzou is about like OU, Arkansas, or Bama in quality. Mizzou is also not Southern, so its B12 all the way. Texas is really the one who is out of place culturally in the B12 in spite of being its anchor. 

They think they are a far better school than they are because all of their dipshit journalism majors at ESPN constantly pumping them up. Media echo chamber.