Texas (-5.5) vs OU- 1pm on ESPN

Just now, VinyVango said:

He simply doesn’t have the ball handling and passing skills of a PG

There's nothing wrong with his handle or passing. He's just small and doesn't have a first step. 

5 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

He simply doesn’t have the ball handling and passing skills of a PG and his defense is poor… but when he is on the court the opposing D has to respect him which opens the floor even when he is not hitting shots

If other guys will just move off the ball like this they can get open looks like this the entire game. OU has been hedging two guys at Abmas the entire game. 

If Soares is injured we definitely want OU in the Big 12 tournament. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If other guys will just move off the ball like this they can get open looks like this the entire game. OU has been hedging two guys at Abmas the entire game. 

If Soares is injured we definitely want OU in the Big 12 tournament. 

Yeah, I think right now we would be 8 and they would be 9. We can move up to 7 if TCU loses to UCF. OU at 8-10 beat KSU so they are locked in at #9.

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I would think OU will adjust defensively. They can't overhelp this much on Abmas. 

Meh. We're better and they match up poorly. We whipped their ass in Norman and in Austin. 

The only adjustment they can make is hiring a better coach and bringing in better players.

Porter Moser showing that graphic of the Kansas game where Disu and Abmas had 0 points with us down 20 didn't work out for him. His gameplan was obviously to take away 1 of of those guys but you can't just leave other guys wide open the entire game. 

Posted (edited)

Kind of a weird season. If we had a healthy Disu against Baylor we could very well be ranked in the top 25 headed into the Big 12 tournament. We are a borderline top 25 team by most advanced metrics (kenpom, NET, etc). 

I don't think that's the perception of most of this board but here we are. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 1

Brock has been playing a bit better than he was 6 weeks ago.

It seems like Terry likes playing Brock + Disu and Mitchell + Shedrick.  Seems to be working out.  We haven't had a "bad" loss in quite a while, even though some of them have been painful. And we have a few very satisfying wins, including this one and the ass whipping at Tech.  

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Kind of a weird season. If we had a healthy Disu against Baylor we could very well be ranked in the top 25 headed into the Big 12 tournament. We are a borderline top 25 team by most advanced metrics (kenpom, NET, etc). 

I don't think that's the perception of most of this board but here we are. 

This is a top 15 team in the country the way they've played the last 4.

But, you know, Terry sucks and the standard at Texas is apparently be a top 10 basketball team every season.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Kind of a weird season. If we had a healthy Disu against Baylor we could very well be ranked in the top 25 headed into the Big 12 tournament. 

We have had some really close losses.  The WV and UCF losses should have been wins.  The UH overtime loss.  The Baylor loss.  If all of those are wins, we are probably a 3-4 seed. 

7 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

I think we’re 8 unless UCF beats TCU, in which case we’re 7 

I could be wrong though 

Sounds right because Texas beat TCU in only matchup this season.

4 minutes ago, HookEm said:

We have had some really close losses.  The WV and UCF losses should have been wins.  The UH overtime loss.  The Baylor loss.  If all of those are wins, we are probably a 3-4 seed. 

Had some close wins too so let’s be cool that we got some and lost some. 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

We are a borderline top 25 team by most advanced metrics (kenpom, NET, etc). 

yeah but that’s the thing about this team- the metrics say we are a top 25 team, but the product in the court does not back up that idea. this team is so mercurial that in any given night we’re gonna be somewhere between the no.15 and no.50 team in the country, and we never quite know where on that spectrum we’ll land. when we’ve got abmas, disu, and one of weaver or hunter all on their game we’re a top 15 team. when those guys aren’t all going we trend closer to top 50.

that’s why ultimately this regular season has to go down as a slight disappointment. we were all very excited about our offense, and particularly our shooting heading into the year, and for the most part that’s all been there. the effort has been there too. but our poor defense and sometimes brain dead performances have led us to a .500 finish in conference with some mediocre-bad metrics that really should be better. 

oh well. that part of the season is over, and i’m not sure that any cbb fans these days even give a shit about the first five months of the season soong as their team is in the tourney. we’re there man. and this year, i kinda don’t want to make a run in the league tourney, i just want to go into the big dance healthy. we’re finally here. let’s see what happens.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This is a top 15 team in the country the way they've played the last 4.

But, you know, Terry sucks and the standard at Texas is apparently be a top 10 basketball team every season.

So you think Terry is the guy, huh?

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

So you think Terry is the guy, huh?

I think he's done a really damn good job since taking over and is better than Texas deserves. 

Is he "the guy" longterm? Not sure. I just know I like what I've seen so far and wouldn't be surprised if these guys upset someone to get to the 2nd weekend again.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I think he's done a really damn good job since taking over and is better than Texas deserves. 

Is he "the guy" longterm? Not sure. I just know I like what I've seen so far and wouldn't be surprised if these guys upset someone to get to the 2nd weekend again.

He's TBD long-term, but he's obviously better than everyone of his detractors think he is and is much better now that he can get the athletes he can get opposed to Fresno State and UTEP.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, HookEm said:

this is the case for every single team in the the top 50. “if only we’d won all of our close losses we’d be ranked so much higher” is such a weird refrain that gets repeated every year. i mean we should have lost to louisville who is terrible, but max abmas hit a fade away buzzer beater and we won. the results are the results, and this team is who it is. it is the team that lost to an abysmal wvu and who lost at home to one of the worst offensive teams in major cbb. those games happened. acting like “we’re just a couple of points away” from being some badass team is just so disingenuous and pollyanna.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Well, so much for finishing 3-15 in conference 

9-9 is awesome  I thought 8-10 was the likeliest and we were soooo close to 10-8 if we don’t blow it against UCF

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

He's TBD long-term, but he's obviously better than everyone of his detractors think he is and is much better now that he can get the athletes he can get opposed to Fresno State and UTEP.

He's 100% better than late Barnes and Shaka. I can live with that for now. 

I hope CDC makes the right decisions surrounding the program and I think he will. We let Shaka suck at the teet for 3 years too long. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Brock has been playing a bit better than he was 6 weeks ago.

It seems like Terry likes playing Brock + Disu and Mitchell + Shedrick.  Seems to be working out.  We haven't had a "bad" loss in quite a while, even though some of them have been painful. And we have a few very satisfying wins, including this one and the ass whipping at Tech.  

I know Brock only started because of SR day but we should probably stick with that. 

Brock > Mitchell and IMO Mitchell is better as a spark plug type off the bench. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

RT is better than Texas deserves?

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7zgbqrjyx8xz58lgdjs

Says the guy that shits on him any fucking chance he gets.

Be less tone deaf. We could have Porter Moser as our coach. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, ztejas said:

I hope CDC makes the right decisions surrounding the program and I think he will. We let Shaka suck at the teet for 3 years too long. 

If Hunter and Mitchell can replicate today over the next month and a half, Texas is going to make a nice run.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this is the case for every single team in the the top 50. “if only we’d won all of our close losses we’d be ranked so much higher” is such a weird refrain that gets repeated every year. i mean we should have lost to louisville who is terrible, but max abmas hit a fade away buzzer beater and we won. 

This is true but we also played Louisville without our best player (Disu).

We are a couple wins better with a fully healthy Disu throughout the season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

I know Brock only started because of SR day but we should probably stick with that. 

Brock > Mitchell and IMO Mitchell is better as a spark plug type off the bench. 

I agree. Mitchell's energy off the bench was key today. The problem is you can't have Mitchell, Shedrick, and Weaver on the court together for long stretches unless the game is played at pace.

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

This is true but we also played Louisville without our best player (Disu).

We are a couple wins better with a fully healthy Disu throughout the season. 

It's crazy that derka always takes the half glass empty approach to everything Texas basketball related. It's a sign of a fucking pathetic loser.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It's crazy that derka always takes the half glass empty approach to everything Texas basketball related. It's a sign of a fucking pathetic loser.

Yeah, I think you can make a real argument we're undervalued because of Disu's health. 

If Disu was healthy the entire season we're probably top 20 in every advanced metric. Maybe even top 15. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

i only do it when i’m responding the kool aid drinking sunshine pumpers who are always talking about Texas in some unrealistically positive light that paints this team, program, and its results in a disingenuous, glass 95% full manner.

also, if i am such a pathetic fucking loser, who do you obsess over me so much. why do you get upset at everything i say? why are you always posting about me? if i’m really such a loser, why am i always on your mind? something to think about.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

lol ok. that’s a lie.

Are you fucking serious right now? Take a lap dude. 

All you've done all season is shit on RT and cry about Beard being gone.

Edited by ztejas
  • Haha 1

also, i didn’t say anything particularly negative about this team, i plinted oit the simple fact that we did lose those games, and that every single team in america could say the same thing about hypothetically not losing games that they did in fact lose. you just love to get all worked up about everything i (a pathetic fucking loser) say. 

I would say Disu was finally back to full strength around the Cincinnati game. That's when he started playing big minutes. 

T-Rank has us as the 14th best team since then. That also includes the Baylor game where Disu didn't play much so could be even ranked higher. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Shaka Smart's non-Texas success confuses me.

Just now, ztejas said:

Are you fucking serious right now? 

are you? i barely even speak about RT around here. you wanna go compare my posts about shaka during his time here to my posts about RT and get back to me?  buncha hypersensitive sunshine pumpers in here on the warpath. it’s funny watching you guys bend over backwards to get so upset over nothing.