Houston Astros 2024 Season Thread

Planet Houston

14 minutes ago, UTPhil2006 said:

Dudes banging Lauren Burke and mashing HR against us. You Cut me deep Carpenter 

You just took all the meaning and purpose in my life and threw it in the trash. 

I'm dead inside  

Shit I just put on MLB channel and they have Bad New Bears Breaking Training on and that punk kid Kelly is in the parking lot staring at the Astrodome in the early morning light. 

Fuck, I got a little choked up. 

That's how I used to look at the Astrosome when we’d pull up to it. 

Ahh fuck it. Singleton’s a fat bastard. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Posted (edited)

Im actually enjoying a stress free frame of mind so far knowing the Astros are probably entering a rebuilding era by seasons end. The biggest disappointment has been Hader. The cash spent on him could have kept Neris, Maton, and Stanek with plenty left over. Am not thrilled with the GM or the field manager who had no managing experience prior to this season. It’s one of those  “I don’t give a shit” seasons….which we haven’t had in some time.

Edited by Harrison Stafford

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Im actually enjoying a stress free frame of mind so far knowing the Astros are probably entering a rebuilding era by seasons end. The biggest disappointment has been Hader. The cash spent on him could have kept Neris, Maton, and Stanek with plenty left over. Am not thrilled with the GM or the field manager who had no managing experience prior to this season. It’s one of those  “I don’t give a shit” seasons….which we haven’t had in some time.

If it helps Neris has been super lucky but is walking almost one per inning, Maton has pitched like crap, and Stanek has been okay but not 2022 good.  

Every time I try to armchair QB this team (“what’s Jordan Montgomery going?  Oooooh…”) I see the road not taken wouldn’t have been of much help.  

Honestly that’s why we need a Luhnow type again.  It’s the road the fan doesn’t see that we need to get on.  

Edited by LCHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

If it helps Neris has been super lucky but is walking almost one per inning, Maton has pitched like crap, and Stanek has been okay but not 2022 good.  

Every time I try to armchair QB this team (“what’s Jordan Montgomery going?  Oooooh…”) I see the road not taken wouldn’t have been of much help.  

Honestly that’s why we need a Luhnow type again.  It’s the road the fan doesn’t see that we need to get on.  

Baseball is weird and every year is a crap shoot.

That's what I'm going with.

19 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Hader will have numbers worthy of what we’re paying him by season end.

it’s what those numbers look like in 2028 and 2028 that I’m worried about 

(and more importantly, how many SVO’s he’s going to have those years )

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I don't think there's any way Espada gets fired.

Wrong. He is David Culley in a baseball uniform. Is he the entire reason why this team sucks — no but it’s clear he doesn’t have the chops to be a big league manager. This team is playing like shit and he is the easiest guy to fire. Crane can delude himself to think all will be well by replacing him. It won’t — nothing will get better as long as Dana is still the GM of this team. He isn’t smart enough for the job. Bring back the Ivy League baseball bros that we had with Luhnow.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Wrong. He is David Culley in a baseball uniform. Is he the entire reason why this team sucks — no but it’s clear he doesn’t have the chops to be a big league manager. This team is playing like shit and he is the easiest guy to fire. Crane can delude himself to think all will be well by replacing him. It won’t — nothing will get better as long as Dana is still the GM of this team. He isn’t smart enough for the job. Bring back the Ivy League baseball bros that we had with Luhnow.

I'll be shocked if Joe Espada isn't the manager next season.

Edited by David Dennison

44 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

JFC you're an ignorant little bitch

Espada is not the reason the pitching sucks, Espada is not the reason guys aren't seeing the ball and the batting sucks. His lineup may not be to our liking every day but these players are professionals and when put into position its on them to perform not Espada.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Overlord said:

Shit I just put on MLB channel and they have Bad New Bears Breaking Training on and that punk kid Kelly is in the parking lot staring at the Astrodome in the early morning light. 

Fuck, I got a little choked up. 

That's how I used to look at the Astrosome when we’d pull up to it. 

Ahh fuck it. Singleton’s a fat bastard. 

Fuck the Toros, and that Kyle Chapman ass little league (lol - not really)

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Smax said:

JFC you're an ignorant little bitch

Espada is not the reason the pitching sucks, Espada is not the reason guys aren't seeing the ball and the batting sucks. His lineup may not be to our liking every day but these players are professionals and when put into position its on them to perform not Espada.

We are in agreeement. Espada is not a good manager but he is not the main reason we are in the toilet. My main beef is with Dana Brown and the shit job he’s done with roster construction. Dana has earned the right to be the first one fired. My hope would be restored if Crane sees the light and gets rid of the main source of our problems. Unfortunately, I predict Crane will take the easy way out and make Espada the scapegoat.  

Edited by Macklemore

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

We are in agreeement. Espada is not a good manager but he is not the main reason we are in the toilet. My main beef is with Dana Brown and the shit job he’s done with roster construction. Dana has earned the right to be the first one fired. My hope would be restored if Crane sees the light and gets rid of the main source of our problems. Unfortunately, I predict Crane will take the easy way out and make Espada the scapegoat.  

It's really simple.

Bring Maldy back. 

Totally joking. 

I don't know if it was discussed already over the past week or so. 

If there any truth to that cocksucker AJ Pierznewski rambling that the reason why Yanier’s not catching for Framber is because he’s still butthurt about Maldonado’s exit?

I thought nothing of it, until the very next day Yanier didn't catch for JV, who was also a Maldy dick licker and Dusty fanboy. 

I'm sure this is not popular, but fuck, if there's some soap opera shit going on it certainly could cause problems in a locker room that is not necessarily the hottest club in town right now. Chicks aren't in line to get in anymore right now. 

If I get any whiff that Framber’s being a fucking child about this shit, he can pack his chain up and hit the fucking door. 

There’s no way a consummate professional like JV would act like this and not want Yanier catching him. Right?

Hopefully Yanier is catching for JV tomorrow and I can get AJ Peirzjewski out of my fucking head. 

By the way, we didn't land on the moon in 69. It was done in a studio on Santa Monica Blvd. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Let’s break down the roster so you can tell me where Dana Brown fucked up:

Catcher:  Diaz was already in place and he signed Caratini who has outperformed his contract so far.

IF: Crane & Cronies signed Jose Abreu to replace Gurriel last season.  Altuve, Pena, Bregman, and Dubon were entrenched.  Singleton was named the 12th guy and has thrived since being promoted to the everyday 1B job.  Kessinger was named the 13th guy and has barely played.  Bregman and Abreu suck but everybody else has been good.

OF: Tucker, McCormick, and Alvarez were entrenched.  Meyers was named the starting CF and has played well.  Loperfido and Cabbage have come up from the minors and it’s too early to tell.  McCormick has been shitty and hurt but everybody else has been good.

SP: The Astros went into spring training with Verlander (a Crane & Cronies trade), Valdez, Javier, Urquidy, Hunter Brown, and France as healthy experienced SP.  Dana Brown identified Blanco as a potential starter and stretched him out.  They also had Arrighetti and Bielak who they figured could help in an emergency, with Bielak out of options.  Thats 9 guys.  Verlander, Valdez, Javier, Urquidy, and France have been hurt.  Hunter Brown sucked balls.  Arrighetti and Henley got thrust into the mix and sucked, although Arrighetti’s underlying numbers were much better.  Brown, France, and Arrighetti have combined to go 0-11.  The guy Dana Brown had the most influence over getting into the rotation (Blanco), is 4-0.  Verlander has a FIP of 6.07.

RP: Hader was a Crane & Cronies move.  Pressly, Abreu, and Montero were entrenched.  Dana Brown added Tayler Scott (2.65 era) and kept Seth Martinez (1.80 era).  He called up Shawn Dubin who has had awful luck (7.59 era vs 3.06 FIP).  His AAAA depth (Kuhnel, Diaz, Coleman, Suero) that was never meant to be a factor outside of a rash of injuries has pitched a total of 4 innings and led to one loss.

The payroll was maxed out when he was hired, Crane relented to go over the limit for Verlander and Hader, but those were not Dana Brown’s decisions.  So what exactly are you saying Brown fucked up on the roster?  Should he have predicted Abreu’s death and traded him in the offseason as a pure salary dump (something Crane would likely not have approved)?  Should he have traded Bregman?!  Show me the league minimum free agent bat he should have brought into the bench who could have hit well playing 1B/OF.  Should Dana Brown have known that Hunter Brown would pitch like an aborted fetus?  Should he have known FIVE guys in his rotation would be added to the 2 already on the IL?!?  If he had known, wtf should he have done about it given he had no money and no prospects?!  Should Dana Brown have quit over the Crane-led Hader signing?  Should he have predicted that Hader, Abreu, and Pressly ALL THREE would melt down throughout April?!?!  If so, what could he have done about it?

Dana Brown might be a shitty GM.  But there’s no way to know that yet and this teams problems were wholly unpredictable, outside of maybe seeing the writing on the wall with Jose Abreu, which they seem to have managed well since the backup they had is hitting well on his place.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Drool 1

The only criticism of Dana Brown that I think is fair is that he opened the year with a weak AAA rotation (Arrighetti plus 4 relative non-prospects in Gusto, Henley, Kouba, and Tamarez).  He should have signed a veteran SP to a minor league deal.  And even if he didn’t do that, he should have gone with a bullpen game (Bielak starting) instead of calling up Henley.  But those moves only account for maybe 1-2 losses at this point.

1 hour ago, Snake Diggity said:

Let’s break down the roster so you can tell me where Dana Brown fucked up:

Catcher:  Diaz was already in place and he signed Caratini who has outperformed his contract so far.

IF: Crane & Cronies signed Jose Abreu to replace Gurriel last season.  Altuve, Pena, Bregman, and Dubon were entrenched.  Singleton was named the 12th guy and has thrived since being promoted to the everyday 1B job.  Kessinger was named the 13th guy and has barely played.  Bregman and Abreu suck but everybody else has been good.

OF: Tucker, McCormick, and Alvarez were entrenched.  Meyers was named the starting CF and has played well.  Loperfido and Cabbage have come up from the minors and it’s too early to tell.  McCormick has been shitty and hurt but everybody else has been good.

SP: The Astros went into spring training with Verlander (a Crane & Cronies trade), Valdez, Javier, Urquidy, Hunter Brown, and France as healthy experienced SP.  Dana Brown identified Blanco as a potential starter and stretched him out.  They also had Arrighetti and Bielak who they figured could help in an emergency, with Bielak out of options.  Thats 9 guys.  Verlander, Valdez, Javier, Urquidy, and France have been hurt.  Hunter Brown sucked balls.  Arrighetti and Henley got thrust into the mix and sucked, although Arrighetti’s underlying numbers were much better.  Brown, France, and Arrighetti have combined to go 0-11.  The guy Dana Brown had the most influence over getting into the rotation (Blanco), is 4-0.  Verlander has a FIP of 6.07.

RP: Hader was a Crane & Cronies move.  Pressly, Abreu, and Montero were entrenched.  Dana Brown added Tayler Scott (2.65 era) and kept Seth Martinez (1.80 era).  He called up Shawn Dubin who has had awful luck (7.59 era vs 3.06 FIP).  His AAAA depth (Kuhnel, Diaz, Coleman, Suero) that was never meant to be a factor outside of a rash of injuries has pitched a total of 4 innings and led to one loss.

The payroll was maxed out when he was hired, Crane relented to go over the limit for Verlander and Hader, but those were not Dana Brown’s decisions.  So what exactly are you saying Brown fucked up on the roster?  Should he have predicted Abreu’s death and traded him in the offseason as a pure salary dump (something Crane would likely not have approved)?  Should he have traded Bregman?!  Show me the league minimum free agent bat he should have brought into the bench who could have hit well playing 1B/OF.  Should Dana Brown have known that Hunter Brown would pitch like an aborted fetus?  Should he have known FIVE guys in his rotation would be added to the 2 already on the IL?!?  If he had known, wtf should he have done about it given he had no money and no prospects?!  Should Dana Brown have quit over the Crane-led Hader signing?  Should he have predicted that Hader, Abreu, and Pressly ALL THREE would melt down throughout April?!?!  If so, what could he have done about it?

Dana Brown might be a shitty GM.  But there’s no way to know that yet and this teams problems were wholly unpredictable, outside of maybe seeing the writing on the wall with Jose Abreu, which they seem to have managed well since the backup they had is hitting well on his place.

I think Dana Brown might deserve some credit for not giving Maldy another year.

But he’s still been in over his head since he moved into his office. We didn't need to bring in an unproven guy like him. There’s just not enough on the back of his baseball card. 

And if we come up short of a wildcard, somebody’s ass has to get fired. I wish it could be the owner, or a Hall of Famer, but it can't. 

If we could only have Mike Elias and Sig Mejdal. They are going to get rings sooner rather than later. Maybe this year. 

But I think Espada is safe, since Ron Washington already took a job. 

• Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

hmmm 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Honestly, orioles badly need a bregman / yuli / Correa type in their locker room

Please, please let this happen. 

He’s going to be gone at the end of this year anyway.

Pressly is a lame-duck reliever.